Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stainless Steel Water Bottles

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-12-08, 02:25 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We recently bought a stainless steel electric kettle that was made in China. It has a funny smell when the water boils that was hard to identify until I read that machine oil is used to create stainless steel. I seached on Amazon, and others have complained about electric kettles made in China having a funny smell. This is a recent development because my old stainless steel kettle that the new one replaced never smelled funny. I tried washing the new one, boiling vinegar in it, etc., to no avail. Still smelled funny. I tossed the new kettle and went back to my old stovetop kettle. I also have some stainless steel flatware that is made in China. It gets this gooey brown residue on the knives after they've been in the dishwasher. Never had stainless steel flatware do that before.

I just bought a Kleen Kanteen and used it for the first time today. Don't care for the metalic taste where my lips meet the metal. Yuck. It reminds me of drinking out of those colored aluminum glasses from the 50 and 60s that parents gave kids to use for outside and around the pool because they didn't break.

So my question is: in light of all the problems with foodstuff processed in China and the fact that most stainless steel (including Kleen Kanteen) is also processed in China these days, why do we think that stainless steel water bottles are safer than plastic?
Old 10-12-08, 02:42 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience of Stainless Steel comes from 30 years ago and in those days it was Pure. In England it was Sheffield Steel and in France it was Solingen. I have recently bought some new Cutlery and it was S/S and it was cheap. It does not fit the quality That I used to know. Like you- It now has a metalic taste to it. No idea where it was made though.

And as to Metal water bottles, I have a problem with them as I cannot suck hard enough on them to overcome the vacuum that sets up- and sqeezing them distorts the bottle. I have a couple of "Thermos" Aluminium bottles for hot drinks in the winter and they never get used-. Far more convenient to find a Cafe or carry a hip flask for the " Warming Drink" (Cognac tastes better aswell)

Spike Milligan
Old 10-12-08, 03:55 PM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to wonder why any would choose a bike bottle that you can't squeeze. Different strokes though.
Old 10-12-08, 03:57 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
I have to wonder why any would choose a bike bottle that you can't squeeze. Different strokes though.
Those who like to suck. I guess?
Old 10-12-08, 05:03 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Those who like to suck. I guess?
Guess I'm still a newbie. I like to stop, get off the bike, stretch, grab the water bottle, unscrew the top, and sip from the bottle. I dribble terribly otherwise.
Old 10-12-08, 05:22 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camelback baby! My water bottle holder contains the airzound reservoir or a light battery.
Old 10-12-08, 06:31 PM
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
There are many different alloys of stainless steel. Some stainless bottles have no taste residue.
Old 10-12-08, 06:37 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
There are many different alloys of stainless steel. Some stainless bottles have no taste residue.
Thanks, 2manybikes! (Love your pictures, by the way. We had a Corgi until a couple of years ago. Loved that dog. Little dogs, but BIG personalities!)

Can you please tell me what to look for when shopping to avoid funny tastes or residue on flatware? My stainless steel cookware from the early 80s has no funny taste whatsoever.
Old 10-12-08, 06:57 PM
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF View Post
Thanks, 2manybikes! (Love your pictures, by the way. We had a Corgi until a couple of years ago. Loved that dog. Little dogs, but BIG personalities!)

Can you please tell me what to look for when shopping to avoid funny tastes or residue on flatware? My stainless steel cookware from the early 80s has no funny taste whatsoever.
Thanks! That's exactly what they are!

I don't think most things say what alloy they are. You might not be able to know before you buy. I have a lot of stainless water bottles, I don't think any of them tell what alloy they are. If you did find the alloy on something you can put that into your browser and find out about the alloy. Some sources will say what the recommended or typical use for that alloy is. Maybe on line pages from the manufacturer will give alloy info about a product?

Like this, just as an example...... http://www.ratnamsteel.com/316.htm

Primary Elements: Stainless Steel 316 is an austenitic stainless steel that is Chromium, Nickel and Molybdenum alloy. The addition of Molybdenum, not found in Stainless Steel 304, gives Stainless Steel 316 increased corrosion resistance in highly corrosive surroundings, such as a seawater or chloride environment.

Features: 316 Stainless Steel offers better creep resistance at higher temperatures and greater strength than Stainless Steel 304. In the annealed state, Stainless Steel 316 is non-magnetic, but can become slightly magnetic if it is extensively cold worked; further annealing would be necessary to correct this. Stainless Steel 316 cannot be hardened using thermal treatment; however, by cold working Stainless Steel 316, hardness and strength can be significantly increased.

Industries Served: Due to its superb oxidation and corrosion resistance, relative ease of fabrication and good mechanical properties, Stainless Steel 316 is used extensively in many manufacturing sectors

pharmaceutical
chemical
pulp and paper
marine
textile
petroleum
mining
transportation
water filtration
architectural applications in corrosive regions

Old 10-12-08, 07:42 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10755 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I find that metal water bottles make a lot of noise banging around in the bottle cages.
Old 10-12-08, 07:45 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what Kleen Kanteen has to say about their steel:

7. What is stainless steel?
Stainless steel is an iron-containing alloy made from some of the basic elements found on earth: iron ore, chromium, silicon, nickel, carbon, nitrogen, and manganese. Properties of the final alloy are tailored by varying amounts of these elements. There are more than 57 stainless steels recognized as standard alloys on the market. Klean Kanteens are constructed from high quality sanitary grade 304 stainless steel which has a low nickel content. Stainless steel has excellent resistance to stain or rust due to its chromium content making it a material of choice among the food processing, dairy and brewery industries. Stainless steel is easy to clean, durable, inert and sanitary.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-08, 07:58 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked the Amazon reviews on Kleen Kanteen. Overall the scores are very good. 272 out of 435 gave it 5 stars, with another 78 giving 4 stars.

But there were also 33 people who gave it 1 star and several of them complained about the metallic taste.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-12-08, 09:17 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Tom. It's hard for me to trust anything ingestible made in China these days. What's on the label and what's actually in the product have been two different things too frequently the past year or so.

Old 10-12-08, 09:59 PM
MN Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C, Bianchi San Remo, Specialize Allez, Schwinn High Sierra, Cannondale Prophet 1000 Lefty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
304 Stainless is an excellent quality of stainless steel. I highly doubt your Made in China kettle was made with 304 stainless. The reason it was made in China was so it could be made cheaply.
Old 10-12-08, 10:04 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kleen Kanteen guarantees that it is made in China with 304 stainless. They say they have it made there because it is cheaper than making it in the USA out of 304.

You can get excellent material quality out of Chinese plants if you pay the extra amount to get it.

Old 10-12-08, 10:11 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. Thanks! I won't worry so much about the Kleen Kanteen, although madmaxx is absolutely right about the rattling. Oy!

Now to figure out where to look for "304" quality. Here's the kettle I bought:
Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach Stainless Steel Electric Cordless Kettle: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach Stainless Steel Electric Cordless Kettle: Kitchen & Dining
and I don't see anything in the description about the grade of stainless.
Old 10-12-08, 10:55 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kleen Kanteen site mentions that there are 57 different types of stainless. The best for food are said to be 316 & 304.

I guess seeing the Stainless Steel stamp on something doesn't mean much.

Old 10-12-08, 10:59 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you posted this, Tru. Hubby's been talking about stainless steel water bottles (they look nice and might function well).....
Old 10-12-08, 11:44 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
I find that metal water bottles make a lot of noise banging around in the bottle cages.
I imagine they make a racket rolling along the pavement too. I occasionally will
have a water bottle dislodge if a bump is severe enough.
Old 10-13-08, 04:39 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 10755 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I've tried virtually every sort of water bottle known (naturally, Maxx experiments with everything). My experiences with metal bottles were with a series of aluminium bottles that Nashbar was selling last year for about $7... They had some sort of sprayed in liner (simulated glass???). In addition to making a huge amount of noise (I am still predominately an off road biker) they began to grow mold...

In the world of plastic bottles.........hard plastic sanitary bottles: more noise and don't squeeze. Soft plastic bottles: beware, not all tops are interchangable as different sources seem to have different seals and threads. In a house full of bikers, you will have to search through the basket of water bottles for the matching top. Lately I've gone back to the 21oz small top bottle with a teathered top that snaps on. They don't leak, they squeeze (sometimes its nice to be able to project water......as in on the head during the heat.) and the top is always there. Oh: did I mention that they can be bought from many places for as little as $1.99. Replace every year, wash in the dishwasher and every now and again use a portion of a denture cleaning tab (same trick for camelbacks) to scrub out the nasty's.

Try to buy a matching color for your bike............ (most come in white)
Old 10-13-08, 07:41 AM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think if I were in your situation, I'd be looking at the return policy of the place from which I was thinking about purchasing a stainless steel water bottle. For example, if you purchase one at REI you can return if no questions asked.