Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A night ride to remember.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I was talking to my brother on the phone yesterday and was telling him that I was putting the lights back on the bike so I could keep riding outside. He asked if I remembered the night he and I were riding a private road around the lake (near where we grew up). I haven't thought about that ride in years. What makes it memorable is that after about 30 to 40 minutes of riding, we heard very loud swearing and thrashing around sounds coming from the lake. It was so unusual that we turned our lights out onto the lake to see what was going on. There was a row boat with two guys in it fishing for bass. Unfortunately, one of them had hooked a beaver on his last cast, and they were trying to figure out how to get the lure unhooked from the beaver. Needless to say the beaver was not amused. I remember the one guy shouting, "Just cut the damn line!", and the other guy refusing to do it, because it was his favorite Heddon Vamp (a type of fishing lure which I understand is worth a good deal of money these days). We watched for a good 10 to 15 minutes. Finally, the lure pulled free and the row boat headed into the dock. They had all the "fishing" they wanted for the night. My brother and I finished our ride, but with more laughter than usual and a strong appreciation for cycling as a hobby over that of night fishing.
Old 10-21-08, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, beware the night beaver.........
Old 10-21-08, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The images that come to mind!
Thanks for the giggle
Old 10-21-08, 02:00 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
...Heddon Vamp (a type of fishing lure which I understand is worth a good deal of money these days)...

Worth every penny if it lures beaver