Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is my problem???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is my problem???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, Have you looked at the Madison? I have one rides great, just added sks fenders for winter.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3040

Joe
Old 10-24-08, 04:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, I feel your indecision. I too have a Cypress, but I think mine is probably a 2000 or 2001 model, and I too have a Specialized Roubaix, but mine is a 2006 frame. On rare occasion, I might ride the Cypress around the neighborhood and I am encouraging my wife to ride the matching chick Cypress (right now, our adult daughter has it, but isn't using it).

My Roubaix has about 10,000 miles on it, but is pretty perfect. I had to get my rear wheel rebuilt cuz the hub failed and the LBS, by mistake, put a dura ace hub on it. I love that bike!

Here's my play. We are in the process of building a second home in the NC mountains. My current Roubaix has a triple, so it will obviously be perfect for the mountains. Here in sunny, flat South Florida, I could probably manage with a compact, but I have to figure out which frame. We hope (fingers crossed) to have the NC house finished by next summer, and it will make us poor, but I don't think I can put my poor sweet wife through the nuisance of carrying a bike back and forth, so I obviously need two. Ergo, or whatever, I feel your pain.
Old 10-24-08, 07:21 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a recumbent!
Old 10-24-08, 10:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I poked our CL today and there is a Bridgestone MB-5 going for $125.

And it is my size.

Got to start slapping myself again. That's a great deal.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-25-08, 12:05 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I want a touring bike or maybe a cyclocross soon
My house is so full of bikes that I don't have a living room
I asked my 50+ buddies for some sane advice
They said "the Surly Cross-Check would be very nice"
Sometimes I wonder - what am I gonna do?
There ain't no cure for the N+1 blues
If I had money, I tell you what I'd do
I'd go downtown and buy an N+1 too
I'm crazy bout an N+1
Crazy bout an N+1
I'm gonna buy me an N+1 and cruise it up and down the rooad
Old 10-25-08, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
DG, someone just posted a thorough write-up of the Bianchi Volpe over on the commuting forum...

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/436386-bianchi-volpe-review-1st-impressions.html
Old 10-25-08, 02:55 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GF and I were out riding today and stopped in to see the fine folks at the Adams Avenue Cycles. We both hopped on a Specialized Globe Vienna for a quick test ride. So far, this is the closest to what I have in mind. At $400, it's a great little commuter / errand bike. And the Vienna Deluxe, with fenders, rack, and lights and generator, at $660, is really cool.

So far, these are the closest to what I want. And now DD has caught the N+1 fever. Gulp.

Stay tuned!

Globe Vienna

Globe Vienna Deluxe

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-25-08, 03:20 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
GF and I were out riding today and stopped in to see the fine folks at the Adams Avenue Cycles. We both hopped on a Specialized Globe Vienna for a quick test ride. So far, this is the closest to what I have in mind. At $400, it's a great little commuter / errand bike. And the Vienna Deluxe, with fenders, rack, and lights and generator, at $660, is really cool.

So far, these are the closest to what I want. And now DD has caught the N+1 fever. Gulp.

Stay tuned!

Globe Vienna

Globe Vienna Deluxe
Very nice!

If you're going "European," you could also look at these (though it's depressing that some of these are 5x more expensive...)

https://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html/bikes/index.html
Old 10-25-08, 04:44 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've chatted a bit about the Vienna series here in a couple of other threads. I've always found Specialized's Globe bikes to be very comfortable. Almost bought one once. And I know that you rode their Globe IG8 a year or so ago and liked it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-25-08, 08:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just GAS.

You get over it when you die.

(gear acquisition syndrome)
Old 10-25-08, 10:44 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OTOH, they have a Cross Check in my size at the moment. And even a Steamroller (fixed/single speed) too. In a nice brown gravy color. Did I mention it's in my size?
If it fits, you must commit!
Old 10-25-08, 11:41 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Stay tuned!

Globe Vienna

Globe Vienna Deluxe
I like the San Fransisco 3 with the 8 speed internal gear hub. That's a city bike with a 'tude.

Old 10-25-08, 11:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the San Fransisco 3 with the 8 speed internal gear hub. That's a city bike with a 'tude.

Slick. That looks like a mean machine.
Old 10-26-08, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's no known cure. You have to just live with it. I've been looking at this lately.

Last edited by Dchiefransom; 02-08-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 04:51 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You really should look into buying a Tough Shed. It could be quite comfortable, with a nice bed and a small space heater and a hot plate. That would leave oodles of room for bikes in the house!
So far, I haven't been able to sell my wife on the idea, but I'm still working on it.
Old 10-26-08, 05:23 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you tried the bike hooks that Nashbar sells from $15 (and as low as $5 on sale)? I have 3 on the walls around my furnace, two rafter mounted in front of one bookcase, and three by a second bookcase (in shop, holds plumbing, tiling, electrical and other supplies).
If you eat exclusively at your GF's place you could probably store a dozen bikes just in the kitchen.
Old 10-26-08, 06:06 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I'd say that your problem is that you don't own a recumbent.

So, after you purchase a highracer, a lowracer, a long wheel base, a short wheel base, a tadpole trike, a delta trike, and some that I can't even classify, check back in to see if you still have a problem.

Old 10-29-08, 10:10 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree the price is high, but it is a decent bike. The frame is full chromoly, a large step above the CB-1 frame. The wheels have stainless steel spokes vs. the rust magnets on your CB-1. You should have taken the free bike.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgest...tml#catalogues

If the bike is really as well maintained as advertised and is ready to ride as is, that increases the real value over the typical old bike that needs lots of parts replaced right away. I think it's worth $150 if the condition is good.
Well, it was an NB-26 I offered him then, but he's thinking about the Bridgestone MB-4 I found up at the cabin. It had been left by the previous people. It all depends on the year of the bikes....this MB 4 has lugs, and is made out of a really good steel...a custom blend and I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, the year I have is an awesome* bike...the next year is not. It all depends.

And Tom, if you wanted it, you could have it.... but I hate to see steel used as a winter bike.
Old 10-29-08, 10:19 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
It is confusing because Solveg's is an NB-26 (had to look it up), which was an odd hybrid that Bridgestone brought to market. I was wrong in remembering it as a mountain bike, although Bridgestone based their hybrids off of mountain bikes. I don't believe it even shows up in Sheldon's Bridgestone catalogs. After gathering more info, I believe they had it out in '92 and/or '93, so it was a concurrent model with the MB-6. And was priced about $100 lower.
Yes!

But what was special about the NB-26 was that it the same geometry as the MB-0 and if you upgraded the components it was supposed to be a very sweet ride.

I gave that bike away to a 50+er.
Old 10-29-08, 10:39 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you actually have, at least once, reduced the number of bikes that you own!

Old 10-29-08, 10:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by solveg
Well, it was an NB-26 I offered him then, but he's thinking about the Bridgestone MB-4 I found up at the cabin. It had been left by the previous people. It all depends on the year of the bikes....this MB 4 has lugs, and is made out of a really good steel...a custom blend and I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, the year I have is an awesome* bike...the next year is not. It all depends.

And Tom, if you wanted it, you could have it.... but I hate to see steel used as a winter bike.
I honestly don't remember the MB-4 offer. But that's not surprising.

What size is it?

Not that I need another bike. I've been ordered to reduce my holdings.

Old 10-29-08, 10:41 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So you actually have, at least once, reduced the number of bikes that you own!
Oh, yes! I've gotten rid of a few bikes! And that MB-4 is yours if you want. But be careful with the Bridgestone bikes. Make sure they're the Japanese ones if you want a good one. I don't know what size it is. I haven't messed with it yet. I can let you know.

If you want to sell a recumbent, you should let me know. I'd be interested.
Old 10-29-08, 10:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, yes! I've gotten rid of a few bikes! And that MB-4 is yours if you want. But be careful with the Bridgestone bikes. Make sure they're the Japanese ones if you want a good one. I don't know what size it is. I haven't messed with it yet. I can let you know.

If you want to sell a recumbent, you should let me know. I'd be interested.
I'm familiar with the different Bridgestone bikes. Mine is a Taiwanese version, amongst their first ones made in Taiwan. The Taiwan bikes aren't bad, just not as good as the Japanese lugged models. And, as you mention, their frames vary from year to year. They had a couple of bikes where the only cro-moly tube was the seat tube.

Not many of them fit me well, as they use that traditional horizontal top tube. That almost always means that they are either too tall or too short across the top tube. My proportions make me a sloping top tube guy on non-custom bikes.

I've only got two bents, not getting rid of any as yet.

But I'd be willing to give you info on any you run across.

Old 10-30-08, 12:05 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm familiar with the different Bridgestone bikes. Mine is a Taiwanese version, amongst their first ones made in Taiwan. The Taiwan bikes aren't bad, just not as good as the Japanese lugged models. And, as you mention, their frames vary from year to year. They had a couple of bikes where the only cro-moly tube was the seat tube.

Not many of them fit me well, as they use that traditional horizontal top tube. That almost always means that they are either too tall or too short across the top tube. My proportions make me a sloping top tube guy on non-custom bikes.

I've only got two bents, not getting rid of any as yet.

But I'd be willing to give you info on any you run across.
No, it's too confusing for me. There are too many different designs. But I trust your judgement..I would buy one of your bikes. And we take the same size, even though we prefer different types of bikes.
Old 10-30-08, 04:22 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
....this MB 4 has lugs, and is made out of a really good steel...a custom blend and I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, the year I have is an awesome* bike...the next year is not. It all depends
What year model is your MB-4?

<edit> It must be a '93. That appears to be the only year the MB-4 had a Japanese, lugged steel frame. Ishiwata triple butted tubing. I would hang on to that one. It's a rare gem.
https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1993/pages/40.htm
https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1993/pages/65.htm

Last edited by BluesDawg; 10-30-08 at 04:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.