Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride to relax

Old 10-30-08, 03:46 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride to relax

In the last few weeks I have been concentrating on my road bike and some on my MTB. Other than short hops the Revive has sort of just sat there. Today I was just being lazy and reading a book on my front porch when I decided I wanted to take a ride. I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt and my walking shoes and it just seemed natural to grab the Semi-recumbent and a helmet and head out of the door. After an hour of just roaming around a local golf course a few miles from my house I turned for home feeling relaxed and comfortable. Having a bike in the stable that doesnít require anything special but my helmet and gloves mike cycling pretty easy. It was a pretty easy ride but it did get the kinks out and people waved as I rode by. One thing seems true. A recumbent or cruiser must be less threatening to the non-cycling population because just about everyone I passed waved. What was the biggest difference with this ride? The ride took just an hour and the average speed was 10 MPH and nothing was sore, and I didnít care where I was going or when I got back.
Old 10-30-08, 03:55 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep that's what it's all about. Sometimes rides like that turn out to be the best rides, no competition, no hurry to get any where, just have a GOOD time!
Old 10-30-08, 04:06 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10004 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are days that I ride back and forth on a dead end road, just chasing acorns and other things laying there. Remember being a kid and doing that for hours?....
Old 10-30-08, 04:36 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do remember taking rides just because I wanted to get out and see what was going on in the neighborhood. I remember riding down to the end of a dirt road just to sit and watch a train go by. As a kid a bike was like a magic carpet.
Old 10-30-08, 10:29 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a kid in Chicago, I remember scrounging around for empty pop bottles to get the 2 cents. Ten or so of those and I get a free soda pop. Right around the EL station there's a lot of empty bottles but you got to get over the stinch. Every so often a kid would get a 3 speed bike and everyone would want to ride it. Gosh they were fast. Even the electric generator pressed against the tire was neat.
Old 10-30-08, 10:42 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
As a kid in Chicago, I remember scrounging around for empty pop bottles to get the 2 cents. Ten or so of those and I get a free soda pop. Right around the EL station there's a lot of empty bottles but you got to get over the stinch. Every so often a kid would get a 3 speed bike and everyone would want to ride it. Gosh they were fast. Even the electric generator pressed against the tire was neat.
Ahh yes, the three speed. In my case the cool part was the aerodynamic ridge, fin like, on the top of the fender. It was only about 1/2 inch high.