Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lemond Zurich Sizing Question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the opportunity to purchase a late model Lemond Zurich at a decent price- unfortunately its located across the country so it will need to be a "buy before riding" deal. I've done a lot of research and feel the bike meets my needs well. I ride about 125 miles a week in rolling Ohio terrain, and am in good shape physically/flexibility. My concern is with sizing. The bike is 58 cm and I'm 6'0" with a 90.5 cm (35.6") inseam (barefoot) . Since I'm 50 plus I'd like to keep the handlebars about the same height as the seat. Are there any other Zurich owners out there with my approximate proportions? What size are you riding? Any advice is welcomed.

THX
Old 10-30-08, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Are they reading the size off the sticker for the Zurich? I thought they came in odd number frame sizes. I would ride a 56cm frame Trek, and was on a 55cm Lemond Zurich. I was just a bit more stretched out, but that's the way the Lemond was designed.
Old 10-30-08, 09:08 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Don't have a LeMond Zurich, but our proportions are quite similar. I would contact your seller and get the actual (measured) seat tube length (center-to-top), virtual (horizontal, center to center) top tube length, and head tube length (including headset stack, if it's the older non-integrated style). Geometry charts are getting harder to find with the demise of LeMond's website and relationship with Trek.

All the LeMonds I've seen had odd size numbers referring to a virtual or actual center-to-center seat tube measurement. I did find a chart for the newer CF-framed Zurich at this site, https://freewheelbike.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=3068. Try to correlate the actual measurements of your frame to the chart.

If I were buying this bike I'd hope it's a 59. Of course, if this is an older steel-framed Zurich, all bets are off.
Old 10-31-08, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Are they reading the size off the sticker for the Zurich? I thought they came in odd number frame sizes.
+1 on LeMonds being in odd-numbered frame sizes.

I had an '04 Buenos Aires (basically the same as a Zurich but different components), size 57. I am 6' with a 32" inseam and the 57 was too small for me (I was scrunched in the cockpit). Finally sold it and bought a size 59 '02 Buenos Aires (steel frame) and it fits really well.

I would think that with your inseam you'd need at least a size 59, but you really need to get to a bike shop and try out a few sizes.