Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Saddle, still trying to decide (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/484896-saddle-still-trying-decide.html)

Ed in GA 11-09-08 12:56 PM

Saddle, still trying to decide
 
Based on the information I've been getting here, I have narrowed down the selection.

However, while on yesterdays ride, I saw several riders, of about my size and weight, using this saddle.

http://www.cbike.com/index.asp?PageA...ROD&ProdID=787

Wonder if anyone here has experience with this saddle? And, if so. your comments both positive and negative.

TIA

Ed

roadfix 11-09-08 01:01 PM

I have a couple of friends who swear by that saddle.
Every time I see that saddle, it reminds me of the Concorde. :p

Robert Foster 11-09-08 01:37 PM

Several of the men in my bike club use the Selle SMT and I am leaning in that direction myself. I have only had a short time on one but one advantage besides the obvious is the nose doesn't hook on your bicycle shorts when you get back in the saddle after a stop.

Ed in GA 11-09-08 03:35 PM


Originally Posted by Robert Foster (Post 7818558)
the nose doesn't hook on your bicycle shorts when you get back in the saddle after a stop.




I hate when that happens. :(

zonatandem 11-09-08 03:41 PM

With 300,000 miles in the saddle riding tandem and singles,have never had my 'testicles squashed' . . .

John E 11-09-08 04:00 PM


Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 7818442)
I have a couple of friends who swear by that saddle. ...

How many of your friends swear at that saddle? :)

Actually, it should be a good saddle, but saddle fit, like shoe fit or helmet fit, is a highly personal issue. I won't ride anything other than either an old-school tensioned leather saddle or a modern one with some sort of perineal depresssion or slot.

stapfam 11-09-08 04:02 PM


Originally Posted by Robert Foster (Post 7818558)
Several of the men in my bike club use the Selle SMT and I am leaning in that direction myself. I have only had a short time on one but one advantage besides the obvious is the nose doesn't hook on your bicycle shorts when you get back in the saddle after a stop.

I Have only ever caught MTB shorts on the saddle and I Now show off my Butt with tight lycra. Never happens with Lycra. And on the selle saddle- I would be "Post" off completely if I spent that much on a saddle and then didn't like it.

Robert Foster 11-09-08 05:01 PM


Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7819217)
I Have only ever caught MTB shorts on the saddle and I Now show off my Butt with tight lycra. Never happens with Lycra. And on the selle saddle- I would be "Post" off completely if I spent that much on a saddle and then didn't like it.

Still happens now and then with my stock saddle on the Jamis. If I forget to lift before sitting down after a stop I sometimes just slide back and the nose of my saddle will catch on the chamois seam of my bibs and push them forward. Saddles like the SMT with the down-turned nose doesnít catch. Yes I tend to remember to lift higher to avoid that problem but the SMT takes that into consideration by design. I am also looking at the Selle SanMarcos Concor. It cost a bit less and from what I have heard Lance recommends it. Not that I can ride like Lance nor have I tried one yet. Of course no saddle is right for everyone but the SMT does provide those that are looking for no pressure on parts of the body we donít want pressure on the first day you ride one. And because you donít have to break it in they are often available for a try before you buy program. My LBS has such a program as do some internet sites.

NealH 11-09-08 06:05 PM

Saddles are a very personal choice. You typically find just as many raves for a specific saddle, as you do extreme aversion.

My recommendation remains to purchase from a source that allow a trial period. More and more manufacturers and dealers are providing this service now. Specialized, Trek, Terry, etc all allow a 30-day trial. If a dealer doesn't allow it, then seek out another dealer or saddle. Those SMPs are pricey. I doubt that you will get much more than half the cost on fleabay.

BluesDawg 11-09-08 07:56 PM

I'm sure having all of us once again regurgitate our biases and preferences based on our limited experiences is just what you'll need to make the perfect saddle choice. :rolleyes:

Robert Foster 11-09-08 09:12 PM


Originally Posted by NealH (Post 7819689)
Saddles are a very personal choice. You typically find just as many raves for a specific saddle, as you do extreme aversion.

My recommendation remains to purchase from a source that allow a trial period. More and more manufacturers and dealers are providing this service now. Specialized, Trek, Terry, etc all allow a 30-day trial. If a dealer doesn't allow it, then seek out another dealer or saddle. Those SMPs are pricey. I doubt that you will get much more than half the cost on fleabay.

Good point. Like I said try before you buy seems like the best idea to me.

Ed in GA 11-09-08 09:21 PM


Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7820218)
I'm sure having all of us once again regurgitate our biases and preferences based on our limited experiences is just what you'll need to make the perfect saddle choice. :rolleyes:


Nope, not at all. Sometimes, what isn't said is the most important thing when making an inquiry.

Ed in GA 11-10-08 12:40 PM

Picked up the Selle SMP on e-bay. With the MS 25% cashback, I got a new one for about $180.

Here's hoping.... :)

CigarDad 11-10-08 02:30 PM

I have the Selle SMP Pro saddle. It has taken me a while to get used to it. I have around 900 miles on it but no ride over 35 miles yet. Based on the cost of these things I guess I was expecting it to feel like I was sitting on a pillow. Not 100% sold on it yet.

Lonewolf48 11-11-08 05:44 PM

tried it and found it didn't work for me. leather saddles, i.e. brooks b17 or selle an-atomica seem more comfortable on my 60 year old butt. i agree of finding a LBS that will allow you to try them out as the selle smt saddle is so expensive. i have tried many saddle brands/types and keep going back to leather.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.