Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What would you do?

Old 03-05-08, 08:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
What would you do?

Updated 8 months later:
Bumping this one back up to current day. I took Solveg and Yen's advice and essentially have left these dollars untouched --both keeping it as a safety net but also continuing to look for THE BIKE. I've come across a couple frames that probably would do it for me. I'm looking for some year end model closeouts to even make it a better value. Unfortunately in the larger frame sizes it is much more challenging to find THE BIKE at the THE PRICE. Also, with the state of the financial community right now, just having it in reserve might not be a bad thing. Especially with the spouse starting a new business..........I did see one bike last week that caught my eye that is using the latest and greatest carbon fiber technology-it came in dressed out at roughly 14 lbs (with pedals!) in a 58 cm frame........but I'd almost need to double what I had in mind for that one. I'm still shopping!!!

I don't want to offend anyone-especially those that find themselves struggling financially right now but there is a very good chance I'm going to have a good dilemma.

It appears I will be receiving a very generous sum of money very soon (and yes it is all legal!). You have heard me complain numerous times about the ongoing 3 college tuitions and deficit spending, so it is refreshing to be in this situation even it's only a one-time thing. While most of the funds will be directed towards higher priority family items, I'm hoping to earmark a little of it towards more of a personal use.

Maybe it's selfish, but heck-I've labored for 35 years and given and given........and will continue to give so maybe it's okay for this one time to give to myself????

I was thinking if I was ever going to get the bike I could never afford, then maybe now is the time to do it. The cost of the frame alone for the bike I'd love to build up is $5000. So, I'd probably need to dispose of one of my bikes-or maybe two to get the new bike outfitted the way I'd like.

Other options would be to upgrade my Time Trial bike. I could do that for much less money. I'd even have some dollars to go towards upgraded wheels for my other bikes.

I guess my question is, what frames, wheels or other parts might you suggest I take a look at as I consider how to disperse these funds?

Last edited by jppe; 11-12-08 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Parlee TT w/ Lightweights. That should take care of all discretionary income.
Old 03-05-08, 08:35 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the best rule for windfalls is to not touch them for a year, unless it's to get rid of debt.

(sorry, I know that's a downer, but seriously...it's a good idea.)

signed,
solveg the ant
Old 03-05-08, 09:03 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I think the best rule for windfalls is to not touch them for a year, unless it's to get rid of debt.

(sorry, I know that's a downer, but seriously...it's a good idea.)

signed,
solveg the ant
Anybody who would offer that kinda advice has gotta be, like, at least, fifty years old.
Old 03-05-08, 09:04 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Anybody who would offer that kinda advice has gotta be, like, at least, fifty years old.
Not yet! Listen to the wisdom of youth!
Old 03-05-08, 09:32 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, jppe, congrats. Hope you enjoy the process of finding your dream bike. I'm no expert, but based on what I've read and heard, these guys would be worth a look:

https://www.serotta.com/dream.html
Old 03-05-08, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What she said.
Old 03-05-08, 09:48 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a custom builder you like, and is good, spend way too much time choosing every component, get fitted and order a full custom rig. In the grand scheme of things a full custom bike is very cheap it is worth much less then a crappy used car.
I did all of the above last year and it is the best purchase I ever made. I can't (and won't) spend the money to buy a Porsche or some other high end sports car, but I ride one of the best bikes on the road and it was made for me.

Everytime I look at my bike I smile.

PS If you do descide to go custom check out some of the smaller more local builders, the personal service and attention to detail is all part of the experience.

PSS And don't ever try to explain your bike to a non rider, they will think you are nuts.
Old 03-05-08, 09:49 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Youth is wasted on the young.
Old 03-05-08, 09:52 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Buy your dream bike! Don't just "make do." You've probably done a lot of that as a dad and provider.

As one who is indirectly paying for her dream bike, get what you want. Anything less will leave you wanting...and we don't want that.
Old 03-05-08, 09:54 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh and one more thought: Do pay off any debt, and set some aside for the kid's school, (I too have three in University), after that (I too hate to be a downer but) at our age there may not be a next year!
Old 03-05-08, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,963 Times in 4,448 Posts
I think if you are buying a dream frame you have to get whatever turns you on, but friends who have Moots frames seem to love them. You only live once!
Old 03-05-08, 10:01 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Maybe it's selfish, but heck-I've labored for 35 years and given and given........and will continue to give so maybe it's okay for this one time to give to myself????

I guess my question is, what frames, wheels or other parts might you suggest I take a look at as I consider how to disperse these funds?
Isn't it nice when life hands you a fun problem?

I don't know much about expensive bikes, so all I can say is "Recumbent".

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-05-08, 10:03 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Wisdom of youth!!! It was the wisdom of youth that caused all my troubles!
Old 03-05-08, 10:07 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I don't want to offend anyone-especially those that find themselves struggling financially right now but there is a very good chance I'm going to have a good dilemma.

It appears I will be receiving a very generous sum of money very soon (and yes it is all legal!). You have heard me complain numerous times about the ongoing 3 college tuitions and deficit spending, so it is refreshing to be in this situation even it's only a one-time thing. While most of the funds will be directed towards higher priority family items, I'm hoping to earmark a little of it towards more of a personal use.

I was thinking if I was ever going to get the bike I could never afford, then maybe now is the time to do it. The cost of the frame alone for the bike I'd love to build up is $5000. So, I'd probably need to dispose of one of my bikes-or maybe two to get the new bike outfitted the way I'd like.

Other options would be to upgrade my Time Trial bike. I could do that for much less money. I'd even have some dollars to go towards upgraded wheels for my other bikes.

I think it all is driven by what riding experience you want. at these specialized levels a 5k frame is not just a frame, it's focussed on the rider and the ride. Same for the components. I'm sure setting up a dream time trialer is different from setting up a dream audax bike.

But I hope to have this problem some day!!! Enjoy it.
Old 03-05-08, 10:10 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think long and hard before I spend a lot of money.... I'd wait a while and think about something very special to buy and be absolutely sure. I'd take my time. Bike-wise, I'd prefer to purchase a whole bike (custom or not, but probably custom). Meanwhile, it would earn interest in the bank.
Old 03-05-08, 10:10 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I ever find myself in such a position financially, all I can say is....Crumpton!
Old 03-05-08, 10:21 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a lovely problem! I'm so happy for you that you are getting a windfall. Let yourself enjoy it! Feel grateful, but not guilty.

My advice to you is to take whatever part of that $$$ you think you'll need for your dream bike and park it someplace NOW, separate from the rest of the funds. Put your stake in the ground; write your name all over it; post the "keep out" sign. You get my drift. Then take your time deciding what you want to do with it. Life is short. You sound like a very giving person. Give something to yourself!
Old 03-05-08, 10:32 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the $5K frame level I would have to consider a custom Parlee. First though I would ride as many high level production frames as possible. You might just find one you love and save a few bucks for other things.
Old 03-05-08, 10:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am curious what is a generous sum of money? You know congress will now consider you rich and tax the bejebus out of you.
Old 03-05-08, 11:28 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss10
Find a custom builder you like, and is good, spend way too much time choosing every component, get fitted and order a full custom rig...PS If you do descide to go custom check out some of the smaller more local builders, the personal service and attention to detail is all part of the experience.
+1
Old 03-06-08, 02:07 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I always have a day dream about winning the lottery or being another Ken Jennings on Jeopardy.
And when somebody asks "what plans I will have with the money", I'll reply "fix my bike"!
It would be nice if I could fix my back, knees, eyes etc. I'd stay bald though! Maybe get electrolysis for those 37 stragglers that refuse to fall out.
Old 03-06-08, 05:54 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Depending on what the percentages are, its always a good idea to keep a little "walking around" money in the budget for yourself. Spending all of your time and effort on the needs of others makes for some very hard people.

You posted pictures of your TT. What could you possibly need for that.........mumble..mumble..aero brakes..aero crankset..mumble..mumble..

Post more pictures of it. We can comment on what you need and it fits in with the posts about drool.
Old 03-06-08, 06:34 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will probably never enjoy the bike of your dreams more than now or for a longer period of time if you go ahead now. I am all for putting money away for a rainy day but I also think you have to live for today since we don't know what tomorrow will bring. I have seen too many people put off saying they will get all of their toys when they retire only to find that injury or illness means they can no longer enjoy the toys.

My motto is don't sacrifice your future but live for today.

2013 Noah RS
Old 03-06-08, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe: Interesting problem to have. You asked for suggestions regarding what frames and parts we might suggest. Well, I'm of the opinion that the frame is the foundation of the ride. So, I would agree with those who have suggested a custom built frame. Personally, I'd look for a builder who could work with multiple materials. Hence, at the top of my list would be Independent Fabrications. I've been looking at the Ti/carbon bike they build for some time now. I know there are other smaller independent builders. If I went this route, I'd want to know as much as possible about the builder's philosophy. I've always been impressed and amazed that frame building is part science and part art. I'd want someone who was a master of both. I'd also want someone who does not have a X+years waiting list. I'd want to ride my dream sooner, not later. Right now I'm kind of into the building philosophy of a builder in Philadelphia - Bilenky Cycle Works.

Well, whatever path you go down, I hope you enjoy the process as well as the bike. Sometimes the process is just as much fun as the final product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.