Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT: My wife is so smart....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-12-08, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

We went out on our annual trip to the south side of the county today to harvest our Christmas Tree. I was a little perplexed when so many of the staff offered to help me put it into our car. It was a little heavy but not all that bad.

Well, when it came time to pull that sucker back out it felt like it had doubled in weight. When I mentioned to my lovely bride that the tree seemed really heavy this year she quickly shot back "It must be real wood.". I almost dropped the tree on the ground as we had a good laugh together over that line.

I think it's time to invest in an artificial tree for next year as I'm no longer the young woodsman anymore. Sigh. How many of you have an artificial tree? How well and why do you like them?

Happy Trails

Last edited by cranky old dude; 12-12-08 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 04:28 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If left to me and the wife- we would be putting up the plastic version again this year. Unfortunately---I have two daughters that will not allow it to ever come out of the loft again. I thought that this year would be the ideal time to go "Fake" as both daughters are now married and left home- completely (Or very nearly but as they both have "Stuff" in their old bedrooms-They may still be here)

Last Tuesday- a real tree appeared in the back garden- The christmas Fairies have struck again.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-12-08, 04:30 PM
NYC Maggie Backstedt fan

Bikes: Trek road and hybrid bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice Cheby. You the original owner?
Old 12-12-08, 04:54 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll get a real tree until I absolutely can't manage it, even if I have to pay a neighborhood teen to set it up. Got to support local agriculture, you know!
Old 12-12-08, 05:10 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
real trees help global warming!! and smell good too!!
Old 12-12-08, 05:14 PM

Bikes: trek antelop 830 & 1999 rans rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An artificial tree looks just like what you paid for it. Get a cheap tree and it looks cheap. Spend a few extra bucks on it and it looks a lot better. Its a perfect example of getting what you pay for.
AB
Old 12-12-08, 05:29 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Fake for me!
Old 12-12-08, 05:31 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We have used a fake tree until this year. My wife is semi retired only working part time jobs now and wanted to do a real tree. We cut it last Sunday and put it up on Tuesday. My wife and daughter put all hand made and home made ornaments on it. They strung popcorn and cranberries and put them on and the only thing they didn't make were the lights. Seems Mrs Stringbreaker and little (well she is 18) lady stringbreaker wanted to channel Martha Stewart this year. It looks really nice though. All I did was put the tree in the stand.
Old 12-12-08, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
I broke down two years ago and went artificial. Prelighted, still weighs a ton. Doesn't have a fragrance (-). I don't have to water or break out $50-100 a year. What fit on the tree last year, still fits. No traditional tree run (-). No needles for 4 weeks. You know what, it's still christmas either way.
Old 12-12-08, 05:56 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This is as good as it gets around here. Takes about 5 minutes to set up, cost about $19.96 3 years ago, and meets its purposes!

Old 12-12-08, 06:09 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Nice tree Dnvr. My sort of tree...............................However, not Mrs Maxx's cup of tea. She loves Christmas, the tree goes up on or before Thanksgiving and stay untill the middle of January, so it's high dollar artificial all the way.

We're just so commercial...................
Old 12-12-08, 06:15 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
How many of you have an artificial tree?
We stopped putting up a Christmas tree (real or artificial) about 7 or 8 years ago. All the kids are gone so why go thru all the work and hassle for just the two of us.
Our decorating consists of getting out old Christmas photos, (real) candles, wreath on the front door, a 15" decorated ceramic tree, an angel collection, and three wooden pyramids from Germany -- similar to this.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-12-08, 06:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, we put the ol' Chanukah bush up every year even though it's just us two (and always has been)
We used to put up a real tree but with my allergies and asthma, it got pretty debilitating.
Went out and bought and prelighted fake 5 or 6 years ago.
With all the xmas crap on it, you can hardly tell it's fake.
Besides, who cares? It's all about the joy, anyway.
Old 12-12-08, 07:37 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cranky Old Dude: Your post sounds like a Dave Barry column I just about fell off the chair when I read it because for another thing its sounds just like something I would do. Its our turn to have the big family Christmas dinner ( about 20 this year) so thats why Mrs Stringbreaker and Junior Miss are going all out. Next year we will probably go back to the fake tree. I must admit the house really looks great. I'm glad she has all that excess artistic energy because if it were me I doubt it would look so perfect.
Old 12-12-08, 08:16 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
We do a real tree here. Used to cut a fresh one but most of the tree farms got severly damaged in 04 and 05 by hurricanes.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-12-08, 09:25 PM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When the last kid left home, we got a fake. I put it up today. I tried to get off with just putting up the top half, but the missus insisted I put the bottom half up too. Feels like it weighs around 500 pounds. Lights are on it, but wife insists on putting on about a hundred or so ornaments, many of them made by the kids when they were in elementary school.
If it was just me, it would be like DnvrFoxs' only smaller.
Old 12-12-08, 10:03 PM
Cyclist CFI

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Boardman SLR 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We got a fake the first Christmas after our our son was born (I was 45 at the time) and he's only known a fake. It's a good one, spent $250 for it I think and frankly except for storage space it was a good choice. Just as much fun to hang ornaments on, lights already strung. No complaints.
Old 12-12-08, 10:05 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since the kids left home I haven't put up a tree. I haul out all my snowmen and candles to decorate the house for the holidays.

When the kids were home we had an artificial tree...I'm allergic to the live ones Here's the old artifical one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-022F.JPG (65.4 KB, 14 views)

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-12-08, 11:22 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm having none this year. No income, and nothing to decorate them with if I got one. Besides, where would I put the bicycles to put a tree in my apartment.

But if I did get one, there is nothing like the smell of a douglas fir, shiny glass globes, twinkling lights and lots of tinsel. Christmas trees are the original light show.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-13-08, 05:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alanfleisig
Nice Cheby. You the original owner?
Thank You. I bought it in '01 from my next door neighbor as he was liquidating his estate. He bought it new in '88. With only 80K miles on her, "Old Blue" runs well and still gets 16-17 mpg in the city. That's a 305 ci V8.
Old 12-13-08, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's been a while, but for years we enjoyed ditch trees.

In a rural areas around here underbrush accumulates in ditches until the county road crews come by and slash everything out. We enjoyed finding spindly little trees and giving them a good albeit temporary home.
Old 12-13-08, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We've got an artificial tree with lights built in. It's the same model my wife's parents had. I want live trees we cut ourselves. I haven't disagreed with her over it since her parents both passed on.
Old 12-13-08, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
real trees help global warming!! and smell good too!!
The way I see it, keeping a tree alive helps fight global warming. I've got something like 65 trees on my property, but my Christmas tree is artificial. If I want the nice smell, well, there are plenty of broken branches with every ice storm we get; I can just bring in a few.
Old 12-13-08, 01:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I was a die hard hold out for real trees until a few years ago. I gave in and bought a nice artificial that looks just like the Frasier furs I used to get. The biggest advantage is how much better I breathe throughout the holiday season. I never realized just how allergic I was to the real trees until we stopped getting them.

The fake tree goes up later today.
Old 12-13-08, 01:42 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
One of my co-workers has a small storeroom for Christmas items. They just put the tree in there, all trimmed, and close the door until they bring it out again for the next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.