Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Arrghhh so close but still far

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Arrghhh so close but still far

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 08:58 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
sounds like you;re doin fine in the speed dept.
actually, doin what you;re doin after 5 mos on a bike, at 58, is impressive.
so a lot is still to come as you continue to develop your ridin 'base'.
avg mph is all relative. for me and where I ride, a solo 25 mi ride at 18.6 avg usually means my tongue is hangin on the front wheel - but then I'm still convinced I can ride hills like in de ole daze... so hills is always a big part of the daily diet.
you don;t mention how often these group rides are - it sounds as if they are daily...
if so, sometimes takin a day 'off' (not necessarily the bike, just the hammer ride) will do more for your future ridin ability than workin it every day.
If you're ridin mostly flats, then intervals (and if you can get some hillwork in) helps gets you over those humps when hangin with a group is difficult because there's a jam. If the group ride is intended to be a chargin ride then there'll jams when the speed and efforts are at max. Intervals helps you get 'comfortable' with the idea of being at max for longer than you;d prefer. It also tunes you into the fine art of sensing when to soft pedal and get as much back into the tank as possible.
A lot to learn and know in this simple cycling game, especially when how you ride is partially dictated by others in a group.
sounds like you're doin fine, learning a lot, havin fun. Hardest part is keepin it that way.
Old 11-28-08, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HI Thanks for the tips all

HI,
Ditto on the soft pedal first couple rides I kept braking and messing everyone up cause I was speeding up and slowing down, New GUy stuff.
Now I try and stay pretty far back, and allow alittle gap and ease up when they are braking for a stop sign or turning ahead, no need to waste power, once we are way out of town they really seem to mash the pedals even if there's wind,
I seem to ride better at higher revs than gears, maybe cause I try and spin once or twice a week at the gymn
Now if I can just stay out from under the CARS
Doug
Old 11-28-08, 11:28 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
This thread, recently revived, is worth a read:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/462297-reality-check-average-speed.html

You should also contact, by PM, howsteepisit -- he says interval training is the only way to increase your speed, albeit without putting any thoughtful LSD training in (the lack of the latter which probably is why you won't ever sustain higher speeds because you haven't developed any decent stamina or endurance).

You should also invest in a heart rate monitor and read the instructions, and maybe get the book by Joe Friels about cycling for people past the age of 50.

Otherwise, I suspect that next season we'll start hearing about the injuries you've sustained, and your continued inability to get above 20mph average.
I've never seen intervals do much to help my speed, although they do help a lot of other things.

If you don't want a HR monitor, learn to understand your body. Start with the Perceived Exertion Scale and take it from there.

I also liked Friel's book for over 50 riders.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 11-28-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-29-08, 01:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Who Are you riding with?- They must be top club riders at that pace.

For that sort of terrain you are doing "TOO" well compared to most of us. That extra clothing and cool weather will also take energy.

When you start this sport- you will initially feel bushed. Then it becomes a little easier. Fitness will come up and weight will be lost. Then it stops. Weight may be gained as fat turns to muscle and no improvement in breathing or legs. Up to about a year just a gradual improvement will be made and you may not notice it. Then at a year- you will remain static. Distance may go up- weight will have been lost and stamina will be there. But after two years it will all click. It is not overnight but weight will be constant- Stamina will be way high and body fitness is there. You may not be able to stay with the fast boys- but you will be worrying them but Stamina will be enormous. As we get older- we find that stamina comes in easier than speed. Why do you think we boast about riding our age- or 6 century rides in a year. Not many 20 year olds enjoy that type of riding.

So stop worrying and just ride-And get some rest days in just to recover fram the last ride. 3 or 4 rides a week that give you a buzz are better than riding every day and feeling knackered.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-29-08, 07:24 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by djnzlab1
HI,
I ve only been ridding since July this year And I have come a long way, here's my story,
when I first started to ride I found that I was comfortable on a MTB bike and would average about 10-12 mph and would only go about 8 miles before I was totally toast.
The past couple of months I bought a used road bike and really have been picking up the pace.
I am currently stuck at 18.6 MPH when hit 20MPH or 21, I need to slow down within a mile or so or I sound like a steam engine.hehe and I am ridding betwen 23-34 miles a day. psps I am 58 years young.and a CD.
My legs feel like lead and I really feel winded. Now if I slow down for a couple miles to 18 MPH, I am fine and can kick up a little but not past the 19.2 for long or old mister fatigue whips me down.
It takes a lot more power to go 22 than 19. See the green line; 19 mph is about 180-190 watts, 22 mph is about 290 watts. The red line is a somewhat exaggerated speed for an aero setup. But the red line is probably close to drafting in a big group.

Of course, exact watts depends on a lot of factors, but this shows the general idea.

from bikecalculator.com

The calculator has two columns, so you can compare two different conditions - different power levels, drops vs hoods, slope of the hill, etc.

I've been up to 30 mph on the flats for maybe a mile, drafting from the back of the fast group's training ride, when they sprint for the town line sign. I couldn't come close to that by myself.

If I ride with a group that's somewhat too fast for me, it's motivation to put out a lot higher effort than I would sustain riding by myself. That, and hill climbing, will help you get faster.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-29-08 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-29-08, 08:12 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djnzlab1
I am 58 years young.and a CD.
A cross-dresser?
Old 11-29-08, 08:26 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
A cross-dresser?
I thought CD's only came out about 10 years ago?

Sure you aren't a DVD?