Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Cyclist and Good Friend Hit by a Truck

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-30-08, 11:05 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Darn, darn, darn............

One of fellows I ride with the most and "train" with was hit by a truck Friday while out riding solo. He is in the hospital with serious injuries to his left hip, knee, lower leg and hand.

The truck was coming in the oncoming direction on a two lane road and turned left right into him while attempting to turn onto a side street. The truck driver said he was worried about a vehicle that was tailgating him and was trying to get off the road quickly and didn't see my riding buddy. My buddy didn't see the truck until it was on top of him. My buddy indicated that if someone had been on his wheel they probably would not have survived. On the other hand had there been two riders maybe the driver would have seen the two of them???

This happened on a rural road, a long straight stretch with very light traffic and in literally as good a cycling area as you could find.

My buddy called me from the hospital and was really out of it as you might expect from the pain medication and lack of sleep -but we were able to talk briefly. His wife is disabled plus he has his own business where he has several projects that are at a very critcal point that need action. I reassured him we'd do what we could to help him and his wife out.

I've picked up his bike and will take it to the LBS for "processing". There might be a few parts salvageable but not a lot......

Darn, darn, darn............this one is really is way, way too close to home.
Old 11-30-08, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad to hear this. I hope he recovers quickly and fully.
Old 11-30-08, 11:26 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I hope your friend has a speedy recovery. Way too much of this going around..
Old 11-30-08, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Sad news indeed. I hope he pulls through this well and gets back on the bike. He's lucky to have a friend like you to help him.
Old 11-30-08, 12:13 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Darn, darn, darn............

One of fellows I ride with the most and "train" with was hit by a truck Friday while out riding solo. He is in the hospital with serious injuries to his left hip, knee, lower leg and hand.

The truck was coming in the oncoming direction on a two lane road and turned left right into him while attempting to turn onto a side street. The truck driver said he was worried about a vehicle that was tailgating him and was trying to get off the road quickly and didn't see my riding buddy. My buddy didn't see the truck until it was on top of him. My buddy indicated that if someone had been on his wheel they probably would not have survived. On the other hand had there been two riders maybe the driver would have seen the two of them???

This happened on a rural road, a long straight stretch with very light traffic and in literally as good a cycling area as you could find.

My buddy called me from the hospital and was really out of it as you might expect from the pain medication and lack of sleep -but we were able to talk briefly. His wife is disabled plus he has his own business where he has several projects that are at a very critcal point that need action. I reassured him we'd do what we could to help him and his wife out.

I've picked up his bike and will take it to the LBS for "processing". There might be a few parts salvageable but not a lot......

Don't "process" anything untill the insurance company and your buddies laywers weigh in. Very often, the offending drivers insurance is not going to be enough for his medical let alone a reasonable return on the bike. This size accident is not scratch and dent......its laywer time.
Old 11-30-08, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like he is lucky to be alive. Now is the time to get over the luck and get a good lawyer. It is sad to me that a lawyer is necessary, but I would not trust the drivers insurance one bit.
Old 11-30-08, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
They're all too close to home to someone. Sorry to hear of his misfortune. Hope he heals quickly without too much damage to his quality of life (give work and home demands).
Old 11-30-08, 02:56 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
JPPE...what was he wearing?

Something like this seems to be a point for hi-viz clothing and daylight flashers on the front of the bike. I use a flasher in addition to twin Dinotte's for early AM and night rides, but I don't always use a front light in town during the day.

I think a left turn in front of you by the unseeing car or truck is every cyclist's nightmare. I wish your friend a full recovery.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 12-01-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-30-08, 03:29 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Keep us posted. Any friend of yours is . . . . . .

This is very similar to the only time I was hit by a car. I was in college, heading down a hill. A Triumph sports car turned in front of me and I hit it, or he hit me. I did a couple of summersaults over the car and landed on the road, mostly unhurt. He put what was left of the bike in his trunk and closed it. Drove me back to school. I got $140 from the insurance compnay.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 11-30-08, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I hurt just thinking about it. I hope everything turns out well, good luck on a fast recovery.
Old 11-30-08, 04:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It hurts when it is this close and to a dear friend. Doesn't matter how much we try to protect ourselves- we cannot cater for the idiots out there.

Even yesterday on my ride- I had to avoid a car---again.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-30-08, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Arrggh! Very sorry to hear, I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Steve
Old 11-30-08, 05:55 PM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy. Hope him a speedy recovery. What hospital, I work at a hospital and if it is the same I will see if I can visit him tomorrow.
Old 11-30-08, 06:03 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Something like this seems to be point for hi-viz clothing and daylight flashers on the front of the bike. I use a flasher in addition to twin Dinotte's for early AM and night rides, but I don't always a front light in town during the day.
If I'm going to be out in traffic at all, I've gotten into the habit of leaving my front and rear lights on in flash mode. Steady on doesn't attract attention I don't think, but I get the sense that people notice flashing lights during daylight hours.

I hope your friend recovers quickly. I started riding again this February after not riding for many moons. When I first got on the streets, I rode under the assumption that no one could/would see me. I'm a little less timid now, but still there are a lot of situations where I know that as a cyclist, I'm not as visible in traffic as I am vulnerable. I think it's important to keep that in mind when navigating in traffic.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-30-08, 06:50 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks for everyone's concerns. My fellow cyclist is a very experienced, cautious and very strong rider-this type of accident just doesn't seem to make sense......I picked up his bike today and after seeing the damage to the left side of his bike I can only imagine the impact to his left leg.

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Don't "process" anything untill the insurance company and your buddies laywers weigh in. Very often, the offending drivers insurance is not going to be enough for his medical let alone a reasonable return on the bike. This size accident is not scratch and dent......its laywer time.
Good advice. My brother has been involved in cycling/vehicle accidents and used an attorney and we have passed the suggestion on to my buddy. I bet the driver is way underinsured for this situation. We're looking at an extended hospital stay, transportation between hospitals, multiple surgeries, possibly multiple joint replacements, physical therapy, a high end road bike not to mention the potential impact on a business

[QUOTE=Monoborracho;7939854]JPPE...what was he wearing? QUOTE]
I'm not sure what jersey he had on Friday but I know what he wears 90% of the time. It was a pretty well lit day and would think that anyone would be able to see a cyclist.........at least if they were looking in that direction.

Originally Posted by dguest
Sorry to hear about your buddy. Hope him a speedy recovery. What hospital, I work at a hospital and if it is the same I will see if I can visit him tomorrow.
He's been transferred to CMC in Charlotte.
Old 11-30-08, 07:05 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very sorry to hear the bad news--and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Stay safe and visible out there, everyone.
Old 11-30-08, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend and I wish him a rapid and total recovery.
Old 11-30-08, 08:01 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So sorry to hear about that!
Old 11-30-08, 11:05 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Glad that he was able to be okay enough to call you. My best wishes for him to be out of pain and on the road to healing and a quick recovery.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-30-08, 11:24 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I hope your friend makes a complete recovery and is back on his feet (and his bike) very soon.

While out riding I never assume a driver sees me... I have my hands poised near the brake levers while riding in traffic, ready to stop.... always looking around, checking, re-checking. Accidents can happen at the least expected times, in the least expected ways.
Old 12-01-08, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck to your friend jppe - may you be ok also.
Old 12-01-08, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. I reassured him we'd do what we could to help him and his wife out.

God bless you for being the kind of friend who offers practical help in a situation like this. It hits very close to home and I wish your friend the best. It sounds like his head is fine, which would be my main concern, though orthopedic injuries can be very serious too.
Old 12-01-08, 01:28 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's wishing your friend a speedy recovery. And one for you too, these accidents always hurt more than the victim. Keep on being a good friend, but don't forget to take care of yourself.
Old 12-01-08, 01:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He is lucky that he is not one of these stories, from the past few days:

https://news.google.com/news?hl=en&fk...nG=Search+News

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-01-08, 02:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sad news indeed, I hope for a complete and speedy recovery.

Having just driven 700+ miles in the last 36 hours I can readily attest to the potential for making terrible mistakes when concerned about tailgaters. I missed two turns to avoid being rear-ended. In my opinion the tailgater shares as much blame in this as the truck driver does. None of this will help your buddy heal any faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.