Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What to do when the weather is not good for riding? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/490740-what-do-when-weather-not-good-riding.html)

dguest 11-30-08 05:41 PM

What to do when the weather is not good for riding?

I will start this out with yesterday saturday 11/29. weather overcast and high of 45 in the morning and rain afternoon. At least I had not planned any riding saturday since it was my parents 50th wedding anniv. Yeah they got married 11/29 and I was born 12/01. We attended a church where my parents renewed their vows and then the family and friends all went out for a big dinner. This leads to Sunday 11/30, rain all day high of 42 with 30 to 40 mph winds. I built a bike rack out of PVC to hold the 4 bikes and then cleaned out the 3rd bedroom and moved all the bike gear, bikes and my roll around tool boxes in to make a bike room. So I guess there are things that can be done when the weather is against us.

Rick@OCRR 11-30-08 05:50 PM

Or . . . you put on your wool cycling clothes, and your rain jacket, and maybe stretch one of those motel shower caps over your helmet . . . and you ride regardless. I turn my rear red flasher on too, just in case.

Rick / OCRR

Artkansas 11-30-08 05:54 PM

Or you do the obvious thing and hang out here. ;)

I rode in the rain today. It was a light rain, so the drops on my clothes didn't build up.

oldride 11-30-08 06:05 PM

I went for a walk in the snow today.

DnvrFox 11-30-08 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldride (Post 7940738)
I went for a walk in the snow today.

Ditto - wife and I, also yesterday we took a pretty good hike in the beautiful snow.

RonH 11-30-08 06:21 PM

It's been raining here since Friday afternoon. It finally stopped today around 4 PM so I went out for a 2 mile walk. Maybe I can ride tomorrow or Tuesday or next Spring. :(

Roody 11-30-08 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 7940675)
Or . . . you put on your wool cycling clothes, and your rain jacket, and maybe stretch one of those motel shower caps over your helmet . . . and you ride regardless. I turn my rear red flasher on too, just in case.

Rick / OCRR

:thumb:

But I'd rather ride in snow than cold rain. And the OP's high winds would tempt me to cycle as little as possible. (I don't use a car so I ordinarily ride every day of the year, no matter what the weather is doing.)

RepWI 11-30-08 06:36 PM

Brew Beer:)

tsl 11-30-08 07:14 PM

Fenders, lights, foul weather gear, and ride anyway.

Although I draw the line at 35-40 MPH winds. As they say: Hills make you strong, headwinds make you mean. I don't need to be that mean.

Wildwood 11-30-08 07:52 PM

Our weather in the Seattle area wasn't too bad the last few days, 50s and heavy fog. I got in 3 rides over the weekend for 100+ miles. Plus I got 2 bikes washed (necessary after the rides). I should have ridden a bike with fenders but rode the newer, "faster" ones.

maddmaxx 11-30-08 08:20 PM

Build a bike. It take longer to achieve N+1 so you appreciate it more.

MNBikeguy 11-30-08 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 7941102)
Fenders, lights, foul weather gear, and ride anyway.

Although I draw the line at 35-40 MPH winds. As they say: Hills make you strong, headwinds make you mean. I don't need to be that mean.

:thumb:
It's a worn out cliche' but I like it anyway....
"There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."

staehpj1 12-01-08 06:08 AM

I will ride in almost any weather if I really want to get out, but the last few weeks I have been running more often instead. The weather doesn't get bad enough here to prevent me from running. Even if the snow is deep someone has been out with a 4wd and broken a track. There are times I would rather xc ski and I look at those as an opportunity.

The only exception might be a layer of ice, but the road crews salt it pretty quickly, so it is never 24 hours before it is fit to run.

Garfield Cat 12-01-08 10:28 AM

I choose to run. I think running helps my cycling. The heart rate ramps up faster, takes less time. Workouts are shorter so you have the rest of the day to enjoy that runner's high and do other stuff like be with the family. Cycling takes too much time anyways.

I don't ride and listen to music but for running its different because I'm not really concentrating on traffic. In fact I can go to the local high school and run on the track with my IPod.

On the track I can even do intervals and be real precise as to distances and time between sprints. Its more difficult to do this when cycling.

As long as I don't have to run a lot and take up the constant jarring, I think running is pretty darn good. Its cheaper as far as gear. There's even some hill work that I can do. If it rains, running sucks. If it's foggy, its actually fun. If you get soaked, all you have to do is to let your running shoes dry out. The running shorts and shirt goes in the laundry.

dguest 12-01-08 10:34 AM

I see a lot of people like running, I for one totally dispise running, had to do it while in the Air Force and again while on the SWAT team. I can honestly say running is the very last thing I would even consider. I guess that is because all the experiance I have ever had with running was mandatory and demanding, This has definately tempered my thoughts on running.

Floyd 12-01-08 10:57 AM

I found a piece of rope and told myself, self you are going to jump rope when it is too cold to ride... that has not worked out too well either as I am not motivated............ peace

stapfam 12-01-08 11:14 AM

Just wrap up, put the goretex on and ride.

crtreedude 12-01-08 11:18 AM

Move?

leob1 12-01-08 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RepWI (Post 7940897)

While watching football.

kr32 12-01-08 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RepWI (Post 7940897)

No no no...drink it!

Doohickie 12-01-08 12:00 PM

The answer is simple and frankly I'm surprised no one has come up with this one yet:

HTFU.

Realistically, though, I'm bouncing right on the edge of giving up for the season. Personally I take it day by day. If I can make myself ride that day, I do. If not, I don't beat myself up about it. I do have a bit of fear of the inertia that comes with inactivity though, so I try to make riding the default position in my mind and make myself justify not riding. I mentally put it in terms of trying to explain to someone else why I didn't ride, and when I have the conversation in my head, the other guy always derides me for not riding. In fact, the answer is usually the one I typed above: HTFU.

Originally Posted by dguest (Post 7944107)
I see a lot of people like running, I for one totally dispise running... I can honestly say running is the very last thing I would even consider.

I've never been forced to run, but I can't make myself do it. I just can't. I hate it. I hate it when I start. I hate it while I'm doing it. I hate it when I finish. I've never gotten a runner's high. Cycling is different: Sometimes I hate it when I start, especially if it's cold out, but once I warm up, I always end up enjoying the ride.

roadfix 12-01-08 12:05 PM

I spend a couple of hours patching up about a year's worth of flatted tubes.

Roody 12-01-08 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doohickie (Post 7944574)
The answer is simple and frankly I'm surprised no one has come up with this one yet:

HTFU.

Realistically, though, I'm bouncing right on the edge of giving up for the season. Personally I take it day by day. If I can make myself ride that day, I do. If not, I don't beat myself up about it. I do have a bit of fear of the inertia that comes with inactivity though, so I try to make riding the default position in my mind and make myself justify not riding. I mentally put it in terms of trying to explain to someone else why I didn't ride, and when I have the conversation in my head, the other guy always derides me for not riding. In fact, the answer is usually the one I typed above: HTFU

Doesn't HTFU mean harden the frick up? It doesn't seem like you'd have to be very hardened to ride a bike in the winter in TEXAS.

:roflmao2:

BlazingPedals 12-01-08 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by kr32 (Post 7944554)
No no no...drink it!

I gotta agree with you - some of us are brewers and some of us are drinkers. Brewing beer is much too important a job to leave it to me.

staehpj1 12-01-08 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 7944077)
I choose to run. I think running helps my cycling.

I too chose to run. I don't mind winter riding, but find the change of pace a good thing. It takes less time to get a good workout when running and with shorter daylight that is a plus. I don't find running helps my riding much though. I do find that my running fitness coupled with some dumbbell work transfers nicely to my rowing performance.