Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Annual service? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/492558-annual-service.html)

stapfam 12-07-08 10:17 AM

Annual service?

Too much ice to safely ride today and I did try. But walking down to the Bike shed was enough. Heavy Dew last night and a good frost so not a good idea to ride. I waited till midday before calling it off so it was down to cleaning and checking the TCR. It was still cold in the shed so out on a paved area in the sun.

Just a few things to check before starting such as the gears working properly- Wheels not needing trueing and chain wear- but then it was down to taking the wheels off and clean the bike. The bike has done about 3,000 miles in the year I have had it and surprised at that chain wear. Not much and not enough to warrant a new chain. Cassette and chainrings are not showing wear yet and the cables still run free.

Did not want to throw any water about so it was down to plenty of rags to clean up the rear end. Problem is the rear end is white. I would clean it and then touch a bit of grease and spread all the black right over the frame again. So plenty more clean rags. Just got a triple and as this one needed a bit of work on it- It's going on this bike. Another tip- Take the pedals off before removing the cranks. I haven't yet. Will have to get a 3 speed front derailler in the week but That can wait till next saturdays project. Then it was down to the cables. I always fit stainless steel cables but time to release the outers from the frame and lube the inners with "Dry" chain oil. Headset next and decided to take a chance- It is running free so did not bother. That's a change from the MTB's I would normally have to change the bearings on the MTB at least once a year so perhaps these road bikes are easier to maintain. Check all the nuts and bolts and they are all tight enough.

Now normally it would down to a basic assembly and test ride- but I am not kidding Do not get a white bike. That bike was immaculate before I started assembly. By the time I finished It was just as grubby as when I started. Luckily- when the frame was stripped down- I had used Furniture Polish on the CF, and this time it did polish up clean.

So whatever you do in the future----Choose the of colour your bike carefully. It makes for easier maintenance.

RonH 12-07-08 04:10 PM

My Jamis Nova needs a good cleaning so I can sell it on ebay and I don't have a garage or other heated space, just the patio out back. Can I send it to you for cleaning? :innocent:

stapfam 12-07-08 04:24 PM

Providing its not white.

RonH 12-07-08 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7981307)
Providing its not white.

Not white. :)

http://web.mac.com/ronhorne/Site/Ron...is%20right.jpg

donheff 12-09-08 08:07 AM

I took our new Tricross Comps to the LBS for a winter tune-up deal the other day. I was surprised to see that our chains were overdue for a change (we have about 3K on them since we bought them last fall). I had measured the chain with a ruler but must have done it improperly. I picked up a nifty chain wear measurement tool at the LBS and checked our beater bikes -- new chains are in the mail, just in time.

I worked at a Volkswagon dealer's service center in the early 70s and we used to love DIYers -- they screwed things up and brought us lots of work. I think the LBS will be saying the same about me soon :)

RonH 12-09-08 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by donheff (Post 7990668)
I worked at a Volkswagon dealer's service center in the early 70s and we used to love DIYers -- they screwed things up and brought us lots of work.

I try not to screw mine up too often. I work p/t at a bike shop. :rolleyes:

John E 12-09-08 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by donheff (Post 7990668)
... I worked at a Volkswagon dealer's service center in the early 70s and we used to love DIYers -- they screwed things up and brought us lots of work. ...

I have been a Volkswagen owner for 8 years (one Passat wagon, three closely related Audi A4 sedans), and I don't love VW dealerships, because they screw things up and bring me lots of remedial work.