Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

riding with my slower girl friend

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-29-08, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this has been covered before , but could not find the thread.
I am 65 my girl friend is 55 and she is irked that she cannot keep up. I don't know if she is just not putting out the effort or truly has a problem. She is in great shape, a runner and a 5 mile walker on days when we don't ride.
So yesterday we rode 25 miles and I was constantly turning around and waiting on her. we were in bed last night and she said she was sorry she was a bit *****y on the ride, but it is just getting to her that she cannot keep up with an old fart.
I know I can just slow down and ride on the big rings but darn it I like to go fast.
Any suggestions that I could pass along to her to help her keep up.
Old 12-29-08, 11:46 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
How often, and, how far, do BOTH of you ride. That could be the whole problem.....
Old 12-29-08, 11:47 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem when riding with my wife, that thread was earlier this year, but I ended up letting her take the lead and was behind her encouraging her and helpfully easing her pace towards faster speeds. After about a month of this she developed a pace that has been great. If I take the lead she has no problem keeping up and there are now times when she has the lead that I have to push my own pace to keep up with her.
Old 12-29-08, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Whatever direction your relationship is headed, a tandem will get you there quicker.
Old 12-29-08, 11:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by billycarnival
...We were in bed last night and ...
Whoa. TMI.

Any suggestions ... to help her keep up.
There's a solution used by cycling couples for the last 110 years. Here. Or here. Or here.

tcs
Old 12-29-08, 12:29 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, have you ever thought it wouldn't go better if you slowed down and enjoyed the ride? When she is ready to ride faster she will.

Suggestion... do your ride before riding with the girlfriend. Go out and do 30 hard and then come back and cruise with the girlfriend. Or use a mountain bike with wide knobby tires. Better work out for you but hard to go faster.

This really shouldn't be about you but about riding together and doing an activity as a couple. That means compromise. And I guess a tandem would solve your problem (provided she is a trusting girlfriend. Riding as a stroker can sometimes be scary).

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-29-08, 01:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Everyone has a limit that they just cannot exceeed. May be distance or speed- but I take it that she is new to cycling. It does not matter how fit she is- unless she is bike fit- She will not be as fast as an old F*rt that has been riding a few years.

So perhaps a change to the way you ride with her is in order. Ride along side her and chat- If she can still talk comfortably- put a bit of pace on. If she is talking with taking breaths every couple of words- slow down. Do not start a ride fast as the competitive spirit from running will make her keep up with you but then she will get tired very quickly.

Then there is the bike. Well maintained? Right tyres at right pressures? Brakes rubbing? or is it just 20lbs heavier than yours?

If you want the girlfriend to be able to ride with you- Get her skills up- Get her bike better maintained and suitable for the ride- and even more- get yourself in tune with her.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-29-08, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we were in bed last night and she said she was sorry ...that she cannot keep up with an old fart.
I know I can just slow down... but darn it I like to go fast.
Any suggestions that I could pass along to her to help her keep up.
With a bit of editing this thread is hilarious
Old 12-29-08, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know some couples enjoy riding a tandem, but riding for XX miles looking at some guy's ass and having no control over anything is not my idea of a good time.

I don't think it's reasonable for you to expect her to ride 'fast' if she is just starting. You might try some group rides to help her develop skills.
Old 12-29-08, 01:37 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I only ride with fast girls.
Old 12-29-08, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is your average speed? Also, is there a club in your area that has regroups (as opposed to a no-drop or keep up if you can)?
Old 12-29-08, 01:49 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Get yourself a single speed or a fixed gear bike and gear it very low. You'll get a great work out and she'll be able to keep up with you. Guaranteed.
Old 12-29-08, 01:51 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
and even more- get yourself in tune with her.
If you make the effort in that direction, I'd bet you'd be happily surprised in all sorts of ways.
Old 12-29-08, 01:56 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadfix
Get yourself a single speed or a fixed gear bike and gear it very low. You'll get a great work out and she'll be able to keep up with you. Guaranteed.
Along those lines, I often take my wide-tired touring bike or mountain bike while my female riding partner takes her carbon fiber road bike. To further weigh me down, I carry all the food, tools, tubes and other gear. It works out pretty well. Clearly, you may want to ride your go-fast bike on your own or with faster riders.
Old 12-29-08, 02:01 PM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You best bet is to agree to meet at certain points...I mean really agree (the both of you). Other wise buy her a Powertap and a Trainer and then you can be mad at her from leaving you in the dust....

Old 12-29-08, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done, rodrigaj!

I also let her go first. Sometimes the need for speed builds up in me, and I tell her that I'm going to go fast for a bit, and I'll wait for her. Works well.
Old 12-29-08, 02:32 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by VolGirl
I know some couples enjoy riding a tandem, but riding for XX miles looking at some guy's ass and having no control over anything is not my idea of a good time.
That's a common misconception.

When we ride together I see a stretch of road ahead that's about 3' wide. My wife is the one who watches the scenery off to both sides and tells me when I need to look up to see something interesting. Other tandem couples that we've talked with tell us the same thing.
Old 12-29-08, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the obvious: n+1. Get the GF a faster bike or get yourself a slower one. No matter how many bikes you already have, none of them are suitable.

Problem solved!
Old 12-29-08, 03:13 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've been thinking --- I know, scarey!

Buttttt,,,,, We've been married for 40+ years ---- and I wouldn't even consider riding away from her!

I appreciate it when she decides to go for a ride with me ----- just chalk it up, and go fast when you are in different company.

This advice is really worth giving serious consideration to.....MHO
Old 12-29-08, 03:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm surprised that nobody has suggested the obvious: n+1. Get the GF a faster bike or get yourself a slower one. No matter how many bikes you already have, none of them are suitable.

Problem solved!

Whoa!! I thought you were going a different direction at first. Since you didn't I will.....N+1, get a faster girl freind for those fast rides and keep the slower one for the leisurly rides.

Actually the wife and I solved this issue with a tandem. She likes looking at guy's butts, though ours is a recumbent. You can also follow the advice given earlier and just follow her. Pick a low gear and pedal your tail off.

Happy Trails
Old 12-29-08, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I admit I have a twisted view of things. When I started riding the best rider in the club (social, not racing) was very smooth and a very easy wheel to follow. Also a pretty good mechanic. I took a bit from him and take pride in being able to provide a good wheel to follow and being able to help weaker riders back to a group.

But it can be frustrating when a rider will not try to get back.

In your case it sounds like your girlfriend is more than willing to try.

Spend some time riding side by side and paying attention. Perhaps she is doing something wrong. Hard to guess what, but only psuing down of wrong gearing come to mind.

Then try having her stay on your wheel.

Perhaps try to have her keep your wheel for 5 miles and then slow and ride side by side for a while. It will be work for both of you to have her hold your wheel. Remember if you drop her it is more your shortcoming than hers.

Once you can do this for 5 miles you can try for 6, then 7...

Oh and pay attention to when she starts to lose your wheel, or drop back. Perhaps there is something, like climbs or turns where she loses distance and after a few sort of gives up.
Old 12-29-08, 03:47 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Slow down. The point of those rides is to enjoy doing things together. And as with love, it's accepting her for how she is.

Stay on the smaller rings and don't wear out your knees of course. If you want to go fast, ride alone or with faster friends.

If you want to ride with her, then that's what you should do, ride with her. Let her ride in front. That will build her up because she has to lead, and makes it easier for you to stay with her.

That or you just have to agree to ride your own rides and you stop and reconnect at pre-agreed upon points. Of course if you're doing that, are you really riding together?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-29-08, 03:50 PM
old but fast

Bikes: Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when my wife first started riding, she was slow, thought it was just because, (in my best sexist attitude) a women, well once I got her fitted to a proper bike that all changed. Now the issue is keeping up with her.

That said, if your GF is really interested in riding, make sure she has the right tools. My wife even works with a coach during the winter to keep her ability sharp.

It great to have your lady along on a group ride and see them all look perplexed at who this women is that just won't go away.
Old 12-29-08, 04:04 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I'm not sure how much of it is general fitness... I'm 50 and my wife is 32. She can't keep up with me at all on a bike -- and that's me on a 1980 Fuji sporting a Shimano 8-speed gear hub and her on a QR 20-speed Tri-bike. The distance doesn't matter - 5 miles to 50. She can't keep up.

But if you talk about running... I wouldn't be able to keep up with her for 2 miles.
Old 12-29-08, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VolGirl
Especially if she refers to him as an old fart!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.