Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rackin an MTB

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rackin an MTB

Old 12-29-08, 10:12 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Rackin an MTB

Any of you MTB'ers have rear racks on your bike?

I'm startin to do more time offroad, and some of the rides are quite a few hrs in the Los Padres backcountry.
I REALLY Dislike having stuff on my back when ridin. So I'd like to put my hydration pack (with chow and emergency supplies) onto a rear rack.
aside from the std rear rack, I'm thinkin of this seatpost type...
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

any comments on using racks, and rack types, for intermediate type offroad stuff would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-08, 10:18 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at frame bags by Carousel Design or Epic Design. I use them on my mtb b/c it keeps the weight off the rear wheel and it also keeps it lower down for better handling.
Old 12-29-08, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Yup, an old POS that had been hanging around in the garage for years. It servers mostly as a fender.
Old 12-29-08, 11:25 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I can't image using a rear rack for any serious mountain biking. I would think moving your center of gravity back would do strange things to your control.
Old 12-29-08, 12:33 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't go comfortable in a Camelbak you are carrying too much. Frankly you don't want a rack rattling off the back of your bike. It will drive you crazy. And it will interfer with you having to get off the back of the saddle during descents.

Get use to the Camelbak. As a docent who leads rides, I have to carry at a minimum 100 oz of water, snacks for other people, a full first aid kit and a full set of tools and extra tubes, binoculars, camera etc. If I can carry all of that, you can put your stuff in the Camelbak.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-29-08, 12:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I use a camelback and it is the basic one that has room for the hydration pack and a wallet--and only a small one at that.

On the Tandem we use a seat post mounted rack and it carries up to about 5Kgs with ease. We also have a larger topbag for carrying waterproofs or extra sandwiches and PIE on the longer trips but be warned. That much weight high up on the bike does affect handling at slow speeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thudb.jpg (68.3 KB, 8 views)
Tools.jpg (40.6 KB, 8 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 12-29-08, 10:08 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
For rail trails, dirt roads and such I do not consider a rack and/or handlebar bag to be a problem.

I'm not really interested in riding where I can't carry a rack. I've already had six knee surgeries (or is it seven?) and two shoulder surgeries.
Attached Images
DSCF0348.JPG (51.5 KB, 16 views)
DSCF0372.JPG (98.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-29-08, 11:56 PM
OM boy

Originally Posted by jimblairo
Take a look at frame bags by Carousel Design or Epic Design. I use them on my mtb b/c it keeps the weight off the rear wheel and it also keeps it lower down for better handling.
thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts.
I'm still gonna give a rack a try, and also give some consideration to Jim's suggestions - Carousel Design and Epic Design. some very interesting stuff made by these 2. The 'pods' look very cool... er.... warm.

Thanks
Old 12-30-08, 01:22 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've had racks on MTBs before and didn't find they caused any handling problems on reasonably moderate type riding. I wouldn't think it would be a great idea for very fast riding on serious trails, but for casual stuff, why not?

I think the seat post racks are OK if you really want a rack and there's no way to mount a real frame mounted rack, but I would go for the more solid attachment and increased load capacity of a frame mount if at all possible. MTB seat posts get enough strain from the rider moving around and slamming into obstacles without adding the stress of a loaded rack hanging from it. Seems the center of gravity would be raised also. Besides, the post racks look kind of goofy.
Old 01-02-09, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked at Old Man Mountain? Made in Santa Barbara and have been extensively used in Los Padres NF. The Cold Spring Harbor and Sherpa models are designed for rear suspension frames or hardtail w/o seatstay eyelets--they use a QR axle mount.
Old 01-02-09, 11:49 PM
OM boy

Originally Posted by Eclectus
Have you looked at Old Man Mountain? Made in Santa Barbara and have been extensively used in Los Padres NF. The Cold Spring Harbor and Sherpa models are designed for rear suspension frames or hardtail w/o seatstay eyelets--they use a QR axle mount.
20 yrs in this town and I had no idea these guyz existed

chek'd out the videos - the racks sure do seem to get 'worked', a lot more than I;d ever do...

will definitely chek the stuff out in person, looks like it will certainly pass muster...

thanks a bunch!
Old 01-03-09, 02:23 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I have a Blackburn MTN Rack on my Schwinn. The biggest challenge was the lack of eyelets, since this model was intended as a racing bike for Ned Overend's team, but the little vinyl coated clamps do the trick. My chain hanging peg keeps the rack clamps from sliding down the stays.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-05-09, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're welcome. Have fun!