Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stretching for dummies

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stretching for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 06:18 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretching for dummies

After a couple years of riding I am not where I want to be on weight, but it is coming along. As far as muscle tone is concerned, I am doing OK, but there seems to be a problem. It appears I have lost almost all flexability. Some of my riding friends have said that stretching is so important.

I have no idea how to stretch. Is there a manual or hopefully a website that illustrates stretching positions and how long to be in those positions, etc.?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-09, 06:39 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friel's book, "Cycling Past 50" is a good place to get stretching info.
Old 01-03-09, 08:56 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also go to the web and find a number of sites that have an extensive selection of stretching exercises, here is one that has some basic stretches: https://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm
Old 01-03-09, 11:08 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
take a yoga class if u can or catch h one of the many tv programs if u can't and follow along as best u can
Old 01-03-09, 11:30 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a year ago I went to my doctor with the same complaint. He loaded me up with a lot of very helpful stretching literature and diagrams. You may try that as a resource. Dr.'s love this stuff.
Old 01-03-09, 11:40 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom goes to Curves most days of the week and spends 30 minutes stretching after the routine. She says the young gals at her Curves gym tell her they can't believe how flexible she is. Well, after seeing her last week, neither can I! She can stretch her legs almost to 180 degrees with her head almost touching the floor. At 78, she's like I was in my early 20s. She's not a dancer... she's just been stretching most days of the week for the past several years, starting in her early 70s. It's never too late! I need to do more stretching.... my hamstrings are like beef jerky.
Old 01-04-09, 12:54 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
https://www.howtostretch.com/
Old 01-04-09, 01:20 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of things I did as physio after the bypass- was to go to the gym. Started a couple of weeks after the op and it was down to the weights room. Minimal weights on the apparatus and just go through the movements. Got the body moving and when I go to the gym now- I still use the weights room for the movement side of the exercise. Use heavier weights now but still keep them on the light side but do repetitions.

Just using those machines or going through the movement of those machines got the body back.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-04-09, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I'll be interested in this, too.

Stretching has always been a bugaboo for me. Mainly just caused more pain and tightness rather than enhanced flexibility. As I read now, all the stretching techniques I learned in school are flat out wrong.
Old 01-04-09, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no scientific basis for static stretching and it can cause damage. However, dynamic stretching is apparently effective. There's a new edition of Weight Training for Cyclists by Doyle and Schmitz that has three types of stretching and covers dynamic stretching well.

Weight training has kept me flexible for 30 years, so I don't need to do anything else. The book though has led me to add plyometrics (power clean and jumps), some core exercises as warm-ups for weight training and some self-myofascial release ( https://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...l-release.html ) exercises which seem to relax the muscles like a massage.

The book is well written, but the pictures don't match the text very well in some cases.

Al