Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fell the other day

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fell the other day

Old 01-05-09, 12:30 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fell the other day

I was enjoying one of my very few solo rides, as I mostly ride in groups, when it started raining. Since the weather service predicted rain, it was not a surprise. I continued my wet ride which was mostly on trails and some roads. I was on my Surly LHT instead of the Orbea road bike. Actually, I was riding the Surly because it has fenders and I was expecting rain. I had completed about 20 miles of a planned 30 mile trip when it happened.

During a curve at 12 to 14 MPH my wheels siimply slid out from under me. I landed on my right side with the blunt of the blow to my right hip and my right shoulder. I was actually on some "tile" type surface instead of asphalt when it happened. My hip slid on the surface which resulted in quite a "strawberry" which still exists today.

The part that hurt the most was the jolt from hitting. I did not break any bones, my Surly was not damaged (a really tough steel bike),but I did tear my shorts and leg warmers. Actually my hands were still on the handle bar when I came to a stop. I moved the bike off me and got right up to walk around. I knew I had no major injuries right away, but as I said, the jolt of landing on the hard surface was what bothered me the most.

This crash was a mental error as I was going too fast for the conditions. The mistake was obvious. I guess I do not ride in the rain enough to fully understand what situations to avoid. However, a couple days ago I did ride in the rain again. Guess what, all corners were taken at a much reduced speed.

This means that you can teach an old dog new tricks if it hurts enough.
Old 01-05-09, 12:49 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Keep an eye on the bruises. I hope you get past the soreness as quickly as possible. Going down on the road almost always hurts.
Old 01-05-09, 12:56 PM
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! I'm glad it wasn't too bad. Question: We all fall, at one time or another, we all fall. Would you prefer to fall during a solo ride or during a group ride?

Ride On!
-Spoke
Old 01-05-09, 01:04 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke asked if I would prefer to fall on a solo ride or a group ride. With everything considered, I think I would rather fall on a solo ride. In a group ride I probably would have been run over by the next rider or two. Not only would that have hurt me, a lot, but it could cause other riders to be hurt because of my mistake. Hurting someone else because of my mistake would be horrible.

There are a couple of bad aspects to being solo and crashing. If there is a major injury there might not be anyone there to help for some time. Also, as in my case it hurt so bad I could of cried, but there was no one to hear me, so it would do me no good.
Old 01-05-09, 01:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Offroad and I never go alone now. Only once had an injury that needed some assistance to get me home- but as I was on the tandem at the time- I got it.

I have not had a serious fall for a few years now but you are right- it is not so much the fall- it is the landing that causes the problem--and the recovery over the next few days. I find that a bottle of scotch will help with the cuts and bruises. Does stop the pain but you don't care .

Spike Milligan
Old 01-05-09, 01:27 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear you're okay, but I hear you re:tile, or decorative kind-like-tile surfaces. Those types of surfaces are much more slick that ordinary pavement. They remind me of those white lines, esp. the freshly (or nearly fresh) painted ones.

Real pavement in the rain is actually not that bad. But tile, white lines, manhole covers, leaves, etc. all take away huge amounts of traction. Good that you didn't break any bones. A friend of mine broke his hip on a white line crash recently.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-05-09, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Gald you weren't more seriously injured. It was a good thing you kept your hands on the bars. Too many people break collar bones trying to break their falls with their hands/arms.

I did a similar thing on a wet steel grate decked bridge years ago. It is amazing how quickly you can go from upright to on your side.
Old 01-05-09, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
tile, white lines, manhole covers, leaves, etc. all take away huge amounts of traction. R
Glad you're OK.

To add to the list of slippery stuff - railroad tracks are the worst. Must be approached at 90 degrees and with great caution.
Old 01-05-09, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! Ibuprofen is your friend.
Old 01-05-09, 02:08 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm newly returned to cycling an look at it this way: I'm much closer to the ground on a bicycle than I am on my horse and the bicycle weighs a lot less. My horse and I went down once several years ago and I couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder for 6 months. Of course road rash is more of a problem on a bicycle!
Old 01-05-09, 02:30 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Glad you're OK.

To add to the list of slippery stuff - railroad tracks are the worst. Must be approached at 90 degrees and with great caution.
20 minutes before a race last summer I was riding along and talking to a friend as we crossed a railroad crossing, with the track at 45 degrees, at a slow speed. My front wheel slipped into the opening between the rail and the pavement and I went down on my side hard. My first reaction was to check out the bike, then me. Got to the starting line with a sore and stiff hip and blood oozing from my hand, elbow, hip, knee and ankle.
Old 01-05-09, 04:32 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I knew I had no major injuries right away, but as I said, the jolt of landing on the hard surface was what bothered me the most.
Injuries can really be deceiving and sometimes can take several minutes to set in. My brother went down in a similar fashion and knew he hurt a little but didn't think it was anything major. He tried riding home and 3 miles later he couldn't get off his bike. He had a broken hip.........
Old 01-05-09, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what tyres had you on.on my touring bike i changed the marathon plus because there crap on wet roads.glad you diden't brake anything (bones).
Old 01-05-09, 05:06 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you are alright... but I have to say I stopped riding in rainy weather some time ago when several older club members had serious falls. One broke her hip and another his collarbone and had a serious head injury. Another buddy of my also fell and broke his hip during foggy weather because the road was wet.

If you are compelled to rain during wet weather, please be careful. Us oldster don't heal as fast as we used too!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-05-09, 06:01 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Glad you survived. Yeah, you never know when the road will get goofy. I wiped out on algae one 100 degree plus day in the desert.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-05-09, 06:05 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Glad you are ok!!

My last fall from my mtn bike really shook me up.

It is such a surprise.
Old 01-05-09, 06:25 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I guess I'm glad we canceled our ride this morning. Drizzley rain. Always lots of oak leaves around on which to slip.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 01-05-09, 06:53 PM

Bikes: trek antelop 830 & 1999 rans rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my normal routine follow up visit to the docs today he just about forbid me to ride my bike in this winter weather. He said being 69 and riding is just too dangerous for my safety. I agree but I do watch for icy areas. Maybe a good reason to think about a trike.
recycled55
Old 01-05-09, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'll echo the sentiments of others and say I'm glad you (and the Surly) lived to fight another day. Also, I would say some good came forth from this unfortunate incident. You have reminded those of us who in our minds revert to much younger days when we're on the bike to be more careful on wet roads. We appreciate the reminder.
Old 01-05-09, 10:01 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Glad you are okay. Hee's some shots of my Jan 3 fall... also due purely to pilot error!

It is easier on the flesh to fall on ice I think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5090.jpg (84.2 KB, 21 views)
IMG_5091.jpg (83.4 KB, 12 views)
IMG_5092.jpg (85.5 KB, 13 views)
IMG_5093.jpg (92.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-06-09, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think you are a stand up guy for taking the blame for the fall. Most people would blame their clipless pedals.
Old 01-06-09, 03:10 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Coach Troy can be your friend....
Old 01-06-09, 03:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch,,,

HI,
I took a hard fall early this year it took a good three days for the aches and pains to really start.
My pain was mostly the soft tissue and the hip joint, it really was unpleasent.
I guess you live in a rather icy climate, is it possiable to get a good trainer for indoor riding I would hate to take a couple months off from ridding it takes a long time to rebuild muscle and endurance.
doug
I have a local Gymn with some good bikes I like the spinner bikes best they really make you sweat..
Old 01-06-09, 03:50 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billydonn
Glad you are okay. Hee's some shots of my Jan 3 fall... also due purely to pilot error!

It is easier on the flesh to fall on ice I think!

Not to seem insensitive, but, you didn't see that coming? That fall should teach you a lesson about taking pictures while riding a bike.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 01-06-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Scott Boomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're alright. The hardest part for me after I took a big fall last year was more mental than physical. I healed physically last year, I'm not sure I'm over the mental part. In 2007 I rode about 5000 km, including a solo, self-supported tour of the Loire River valley in France. But in January 2008, I had a big fall; cracked some ribs, roae rash on my left hip and knee, and a fractured helmet. I was going fast, about 35 kmph and had a front flat, hit the curb, fell hard and slid along the pavement. As I was sliding down the road, I was watching the tandem wheels of a city bus cruise by me as he was trying to avoid running me over.

Not all pain is physical. I salut any one who takes a hard fall and keeps riding. For me, I finished the year with about 500 km. But 2009 is here now and I hope I can get back to where I was at the end of 2007. I'm thinking a tour of Italy this year. (BTW: I live in Switzerland).

Charlie Lupica

Last edited by clupica; 01-06-09 at 04:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.