Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I Quit Drinking Coffee and Feeling Better (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/501056-i-quit-drinking-coffee-feeling-better.html)

vja4Him 01-10-09 06:17 PM

I Quit Drinking Coffee and Feeling Better

I finally quit drinking coffee, again .... It's been ten days now, and I'm feeling better already. At 51, I'm no spring chicken. I'm trying to do everything I can to feel better, get stronger, and stay in shape .....

TromboneAl 01-10-09 06:33 PM

I stopped drinking caffeine a few years ago, but I can't say I noticed a big difference.

pipes 01-10-09 06:34 PM

Hope thats works out for you . Persnaly I like coffee way to much to ever quit it ! But hey to each his or her own .

Robert Foster 01-10-09 06:43 PM

I have to have some coffee. And then I discovered many of the energy goo has a lot of caffeine in it. Even diet cola has caffeine in it. But on a cold morning after a 30 mile ride a hot cup of coffee seems to hit the spot a lot. My Cliff shots are pretty high in caffeine.

jppe 01-10-09 07:01 PM

The last coffee I had was in college 35+ years ago........I stopped using caffeine after an A Fib attack several years ago. I sleep better and feel better. Enjoy the new, real you!!

DnvrFox 01-10-09 07:22 PM

No coffee or any caffeine here, either. Health reasons.

DnvrFox 01-10-09 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by vja4Him (Post 8158557)
I finally quit drinking coffee, again .... It's been ten days now, and I'm feeling better already. At 51, I'm no spring chicken. I'm trying to do everything I can to feel better, get stronger, and stay in shape .....

OK, but you aren't a dead chicken. What I would give to see 51 again!

Digital Gee 01-10-09 07:27 PM

Quit a daily Starbucks habit around the first of the year, but still enjoy the home brewed every morning.

And by the way, love the title of this thread: I quit drinking coffee and feeling better. Think about it. Maybe if the OP would start drinking coffee again he'd start feeling better again? Never mind. :D

Mojo Slim 01-10-09 07:29 PM

I have never consumed the Devil's Elixer, but I do drink tea and Coke. OP, were you advised to quit coffee for a specific reason?

Terex 01-10-09 07:40 PM

"I Quit Drinking Coffee and Feeling Better" - I think you've said it all. :)

I know if I quit drinking coffee, I would quit feeling better. :mad:

Rick@OCRR 01-10-09 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Terex (Post 8158956)
"I Quit Drinking Coffee and Feeling Better" - I think you've said it all. :)
I know if I quit drinking coffee, I would quit feeling better. :mad:

I totally agree Terex,

When I drink coffee I do feel better (every time!). If I quit drinking coffee, I would at least quit that bit of "feeling better!"

Rick / OCRR

The Weak Link 01-10-09 08:41 PM

One always needs a bad habit to be thrown over like ballast when necessary.

My bad habit is coffee. I'm holding it in reserve for the day that I need to quit something in order to feel better.

Velo Fellow 01-10-09 08:50 PM

Does anyone else taste a coffee-like undertaste in PowerBar gels...at least the chocolate? I like the flavor.....as well as coffee and any of its derivatives....especially coffee ice cream.

Rick@OCRR 01-10-09 09:26 PM

No, but I do in Hammer Gel Expresso!

Rick / OCRR

Jet Travis 01-10-09 09:29 PM

My doctor told me I should quit drinking coffee, quit drinking alcohol, quit eating red meat, quit smoking and start exercising.

I told him I didn't drink coffee, didn't drink alcohol, didn't smoke, didn't eat red meat and worked out every day.

He shook his head sadly and said, "Then there's absolutely no hope for you."

JanMM 01-10-09 10:07 PM

Quit drinking coffee? Coffee makes you smarter. I'm living pruf!

Yen 01-10-09 10:47 PM

Whenever I quit drinking coffee cold turkey, I have a migraine-like headache and profound drowsiness that starts around 10:30 a.m. and lasts for the rest of the day (typical caffeine withdrawal). I drink only one cup in the morning.

After the withdrawal symptoms pass, I feel much better --- except for feeling stuck in 1st gear all the time. Not drowsy, sleepy, or tired -- just stuck in a low gear; my thinking is very slow and I feel melancholy.

So, I've given up giving up on coffee. I need just that one cup every morning --- it doesn't matter how good or long my sleep is, how well I eat, how much I exercise, or anything else, I just can't get into gear without it, even after all the withdrawal symptoms are over. About halfway through the cup, I feel like a new person; literally, it's like the curtains are pulled back and the light comes in, and I just feel good.

If I ever really have to give up coffee, I hope it's not until after I retire.:twitchy:

Artkansas 01-10-09 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by vja4Him (Post 8158557)

I gave up caffiene several years ago. It helps. Way to go!

Louis 01-10-09 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis (Post 8159536)
My doctor told me I should quit drinking coffee, quit drinking alcohol, quit eating red meat, quit smoking and start exercising.

I told him I didn't drink coffee, didn't drink alcohol, didn't smoke, didn't eat red meat and worked out every day.

He shook his head sadly and said, "Then there's absolutely no hope for you."

:lol::lol:

Old man to friend: "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't use caffeine, I don't stay up late, I don't chase women, I don't listen to loud music, I don't swear, I don't tell dirty jokes and I don't gamble. Tomorrow I celebrate my 90th birthday."

Friend: "How?"

oldride 01-10-09 11:45 PM

I've given up just about everything in my life except coffee and cycling. I don't plan to ever give up either one. Geez I need a life! :)

maddmaxx 01-11-09 04:13 AM

No more smoking..........no more drinking...........I exercise and ride the bike.................

I'm holding the coffee addiction down to 3 or 4 beer stein sized cups a day...........:twitchy:

I wont give that up untill I retire.

stapfam 01-11-09 07:45 AM

If I gave up caffein- then anyone I come across would not be feeling very good by the time I had finished with them.

JanMM 01-11-09 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 8160904)
If I gave up caffein- then anyone I come across would not be feeling very good by the time I had finished with them.

decaf = grrrrrrrrrrrr......

aperna 01-11-09 10:52 AM

I gave up coffee 2 years ago. There was a noticeable difference in the amount of heartburn and prostate symptoms. The best thing that i've done.

vja4Him 01-11-09 10:56 AM

Addiction to Caffeine ....

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 8158748)
The last coffee I had was in college 35+ years ago........I stopped using caffeine after an A Fib attack several years ago. I sleep better and feel better. Enjoy the new, real you!!

What is an A Fib attack? I guess some people are more sensitive to caffeine. It only takes me a couple weeks to get addicted to caffeine, and if I don't have at least two strong cups of coffee everyday, I get terrible headaches.

I also have serious problems with hypertension and angina, which limits how much I can exert myself. Since I quit drinking coffee, seems like I'm doing a little better ....