Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A typical winter day in Southern California... (pics)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 12:02 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeh, just another sunny day.... beautiful, crisp, and clear. Last week's cold heavy rain dumped some new snow in the mountains, and yesterday was one of those clear, crisp, winter days that you can't resist being outside to enjoy. Hubby wanted to ride to the post office to mail some bills, so I joined him and we turned it into a nice 1-3/4 hour ride.

Yes, Virginia, there is fall color (and snow!) in southern California...

On our favorite bike trail, there were lots of walkers, a few people on bikes, and some skateboarders.

Closer to home, a view of snow-capped Mt. Baldy, a favorite challenging mountain ride for many cyclists.

Old 12-31-08, 12:04 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Two seasons - autumn and winter - in one day. Nice...
Old 12-31-08, 12:07 PM
Not So Senior Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great shots. We have 6" of fresh snow and an equally fresh temp of 14F. I think I'll head down to the trainer after I shovel the snow.
Old 12-31-08, 12:18 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trees still have their leaves later than normal this year. Normally the trees would be bare of leaves by now. A late fall? Late summer? I hope this is a sign of a cooler-than-normal summer in 2009.
Old 12-31-08, 12:20 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, your weather is nice, but it looks to me like your earthquakes have caused your church steeples to tilt to the left.
Old 12-31-08, 02:14 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Nice pics. Looks a lot like the weather we had yesterday and today -- except your temps are probably 20+ degrees warmer.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-31-08, 02:33 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RonH, our weather is warm this week... low to mid-70s. Last week was (I'm estimating... we were out of town...) in the 50s. Early mornings are still 40.

We must have been near or at freezing while we were gone, as some of the leaves on our tropical plant have black spots. That plant was almost all blackened in the mid-20s we had a couple of years ago.
Old 12-31-08, 03:05 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I miss the leaves!

Sweet!! That's thing I hate the most about WINTER, the dead trees, Colorado Springs, CO. is blessed with a lot of trees but they look so out of place in the winter months! Looks like a great day to be on a bicycle, we had a sunny but chilly day on Monday, which I finally got out on the bike for 20 miles to test the new "wireless"cycle computer, which seems to work very well.

Old 12-31-08, 03:49 PM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
Two seasons - autumn and winter - in one day. Nice...

Yah, it's funny; due to the extra warm "fall" we had the leaves on the liquid amber trees and chinese pistaches did not turn color untill Christmas! But I guess good comes to those who wait--most of the trees around me (some several miles to the east of these pictures) are really gorgeous.
Old 12-31-08, 04:28 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We had some pretty thick fog today on SGRT from Cerritos to the beach. By the time I got back to Cerritos, it was finally burning off.
Old 12-31-08, 04:29 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We're pretty lucky here in Western New York as the snow gets deposited directly onto our driveways. We don't have to go to the mountains to enjoy the snow. By the time we're done shoveling the mountains are nicely lined along the edge of the roads and driveways.

My daughter's been home from Culver City since the 20th for the Holidays (that's her in the pic above as she arrived home between pre-Christmas storms). Her boyfreind has made it a point to keep her supplied with pictures from the beach on an almost daily basis......although she was thrilled to get back here for a while I believe she's ready to get back to the somewhat more moderate Southern California climate.

All teasing aside, those are great pics Yen, thanks for sharing. It looks like you're blessed with beautiful countryside to enjoy.

Happy New Year

Last edited by cranky old dude; 12-31-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 05:59 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to take my daughter out of school for the day at least once each winter when it snowed up on Mt. Palomar, to go sledding (The snow usually would not last until the weekend). I never biked out that way, though.

It stayed warm & dry so late into fall that my pear tree did not dropped most of its leaves. Yesterday I had to sweep two trash can of leaves off the patio (again!). Every time a front comes through with strong winds some come down, but it is not fun to rake in winter. I just need to remind myself of the great biking weather we had before it turned cold so abruptly.

Nine or ten more weeks until it starts to warm again (I hope) It will go fast.
Old 12-31-08, 09:30 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you define a "crisp" autumn day? I consider that a day with the highs in the 30s or 40s.

Very pretty, looks like our October.

A sunny, crisp, winter day around here usually means temps around 10-15. Highs around 30 are a warm winter day.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-31-08, 10:39 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Sweet!! That's thing I hate the most about WINTER, the dead trees, Colorado Springs, CO. is blessed with a lot of trees but they look so out of place in the winter months! ...
To each his own aesthetic of course, but I actually enjoy the starkness and openness of the winter landscape. It gives one a different perspective on the landscape. And dormant (not really "dead" as I'm sure you know) trees reveal their structure and complexity in interesting and often beautiful ways. Now winter wind... that I can do without!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5015.jpg (98.7 KB, 20 views)
IMG_5019.jpg (100.2 KB, 21 views)
IMG_5047.jpg (86.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 12-31-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 11:31 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
We're pretty lucky here in Western New York as the snow gets deposited directly onto our driveways. We don't have to go to the mountains to enjoy the snow. By the time we're done shoveling the mountains are nicely lined along the edge of the roads and driveways.
(snip)

Oh, we here in So Cal don't have to go to the mountains to enjoy snow either!

We're so lucky!
Old 01-01-09, 12:13 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
To each his own aesthetic of course, but I actually enjoy the starkness and openness of the winter landscape. It gives one a different perspective on the landscape. And dormant (not really "dead" as I'm sure you know) trees reveal their structure and complexity in interesting and often beautiful ways. Now winter wind... that I can do without!
I lived in Beatrice from Aug. '73 to Sept. '74. That wasn't my destination, I just ran out of money there. My coldest winter ever (grew up in NJ); freaked out when I was walking down Court St. and the bank sign showed -10*. I didn't have my bike with me and wished I had, as the roads were structured in such a way that I could've gotten lost in the milo fields and still found my way back home.

ITA re the wind. In winter it's brutal!
Old 01-01-09, 11:46 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Watching the Rose Bowl parade this morning. Checked the weather for Pasadena. It sure is warm there, highs for the next 10 days are in the upper 60s to low 70s. I could deal with that. That's the weather for which we cross our fingers and hope to get in May.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-01-09, 12:26 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Watching the Rose Bowl parade this morning. Checked the weather for Pasadena. It sure is warm there, highs for the next 10 days are in the upper 60s to low 70s. I could deal with that. That's the weather for which we cross our fingers and hope to get in May.
Yeh, it sure is nice here, beautiful gardening and bike-riding weather.........

.....which is why we also have way too much traffic and way too many people.
Old 01-01-09, 02:29 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Jen, I just got back from my New Year's Day bike ride - I thought you would like this photo (and it was raining...).

Old 01-01-09, 07:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The advantage of snow......no need for the kickstand!
Old 01-01-09, 07:27 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranky and Benge, great pics! You guys who ride in the snow really blow my mind.

Now that Hubby has his new knee warmers (Christmas gift from me), nothing should stop him either. We'll give them a try on Saturday morning.

PS - I got 6 new pair of bike socks for Christmas.
Old 01-06-09, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Novarro Big Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like La Verne!

Looks like La Verne! I lived there from 1973 to 1989, beautiful little town.
Old 01-06-09, 09:16 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbelcher
Looks like La Verne! I lived there from 1973 to 1989, beautiful little town.
Whereabouts did you live in La Verne?

Last edited by Yen; 01-06-09 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Yen, here are a couple shots of Baldy from different angles. The first is from summer and was taken from the back of Baldy on Angeles Crest Highway west of Wrightwood.

The other is from Jan 1 and was taken by KiddSisko on Mount Wilson Road.
Old 01-07-09, 09:05 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice pics, John. So, is the view from Mount Wilson Road looking east? That is quite a view up there, from the top of the mountain... a very different perspective than I normally have from down below. Away from all the people, traffic, and congestion.... beautiful.

Some day, I hope to be strong enough to ride UP Mt. Baldy, not just to it. We go to the end of Thompson Trail, then head up the road that begins at Padua (can't remember the name) then turn around when it gets steep. I've considered challenging myself to ride part way and increase that distance over time until I can make it up the mountain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.