Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Side job=N+1

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Side job=N+1

Old 01-31-09, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Side job=N+1

I retired at the end of 2008 and have been thinking about giving myself a new bike this spring but money has been a bit tight during the transition to retirement.

Recently I have been asked to work for 4 days in February. The pay is good and I am now thinking about using the pay for a new road bike. Have been looking at the Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple.

Any input on this bike. I am 60 and live in a hilly area so I think I need the triple. By the way, I have a Specialized Sirrus comp. Do you think the Roubaix is too similar??
Old 01-31-09, 08:39 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have a Roubaix- but from all the rave reports about them from owners- you won't be going wrong

Spike Milligan
Old 01-31-09, 09:55 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I know several people who have various Roubaix models and they all say they like them very much. One friend has that very model, an Elite triple, a 2008 I think. He is very happy with the way the bike rides and handles. He was concerned about the 50 tooth big ring until he spent some time on the bike. Now he finds it more useful than his previous 53 tooth setup. I can say it is a very nice looking bike.

I test rode a Roubaix Elite with a compact double and liked it a lot, although I preferred the quicker steering of the similar Tarmac Elite that I also rode that day. I think the Roubaix would be a nice progression from a flat bar road bike like the Sirrus.

I wish I could make enough in four days to buy a nice new bike.
Old 01-31-09, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as it's not WHITE ,you should be okay.
Old 01-31-09, 11:09 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Like you, I am retired, (going on 8 years now) and watch money closer than when I was working.

It would give you the opportunity to turn the Sirrus into a nice utility bike with racks, fenders, big tires, etc.

If you can, go for it, and don't look back. The triple definitely helps as you gain years.

I bought my utility bike first, a Specialized Crosstrail, and hope to add a nice road bike in the future.

I've never second guessed my decision to go this way, and am very happy I did.

You will be, too!
Old 01-31-09, 04:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I think I will test ride the Roubaix as the weather here gets better, hopefully soon. It looks like it will have the right combination of comfort and speed. Will report on the progress.
Old 01-31-09, 06:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
On my kitchen counter at home, covered by about an inch of ice, is the latest copy of Bicycling magazine. They talk about what looks like a very nice FC bike for around $1500. Check it out.
Old 01-31-09, 06:25 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
+1 Get the triple.

But also take the time to start looking at the used market. The deals around here on used bikes are compelling. You can get so much more bike on the used market versus a similar equipped new bike. My latest used C/L keeper is below, all Ultegra, yadda, yadda. Cost less than a new Sora equipped Trek.

I am retired as well, and definitely have become more thrifty. I rebuild and resell bikes (and keep some of the best ones if they fit). The requirement is that I have to make enough on flips to cover any and all spending on keepers. During retirement, anytime you can zero out an expense category, or even replace it with income, it really helps.

My last new bike was 1975....

03 Colnago Master Light (I am not sure of the age, but that is the age of the components)
84 Lotus Classique
92 Trek 95
83 Univega Gran Turismo
Old 02-01-09, 08:36 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=wrk101;8282828]+1 Get the triple.

I am retired as well, and definitely have become more thrifty. I rebuild and resell bikes (and keep some of the best ones if they fit). The requirement is that I have to make enough on flips to cover any and all spending on keepers. During retirement, anytime you can zero out an expense category, or even replace it with income, it really helps.

My last new bike was 1975....

Thanks for the advice on used bikes, will see if that works. Intend to rebuild, repair bikes strictly as a hobby in retirement.