Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Mtn bike shorts liner? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/511139-mtn-bike-shorts-liner.html)

cccorlew 02-13-09 10:11 PM

Mtn bike shorts liner?

I'm a roadie, but i thought I'd get a pair of Mtn. bike shorts for going to the store and such.
I bought some Endura Hummvee shorts through GrearTrade.com.

They were, I assume, returns to Backcountry.com. They were supposed to come with a liner. They didn't. Geartrade.com gave me half my money back, and I kept the shorts.
  • But what exactly is a liner?
  • Is it just regular bike shorts?
  • Can I buy some separately? Cheap would be nice.
  • Do you all wear them?
  • If not, what does one wear under baggy mtn. shorts?

maddmaxx 02-13-09 10:46 PM

The liner is like an underware version of regular spandex shorts. ( More expensive shorts may be better)

You can buy them, possibly from Nashbar etc. They are not expensive..........not cheap either

I used to wear some, now I just throw on the spandex shorts that I'm already comfortable with. Because of that, I no longer buy dedicated MTB shorts. I just wear cargo pocketed shorts over spandex. That's just for vacation riding where I want the pockets, else its just the spandex, even on the MTB.

BluesDawg 02-14-09 12:17 AM

Many MTB shorts come with a lycra type padded inner short attached. Others are just shells and you can get padded undershorts to wear under them, or a cheap pair of lycra shorts can be worn underneath. I have a pair of Hoss brand shorts with attached lycra shorts and they seem to be a very good value for something to wear in situations where lycra is not as suitable.

None of them are as comfortable as normal padded lycra shorts imho, whether for road or MTB riding.

Louis 02-14-09 12:22 AM

Similar to maddmaxx, I sometimes wear regular roadie shorts under almost any kind of shorts for non-roadie riding. It's a good way to get the last bit of use from old spandex that has worn too thin for public use.

stapfam 02-14-09 12:52 AM

I once bought a pair of MTB shorts and they were a good name- Goretex- and they came with a liner. After regular cycling shorts- they were uncomfortable. On top of that I had a couple of falls due to getting the shorts hung up on the saddle.

George 02-14-09 07:45 AM

Performance sells them for $25 or $30. I bought a pair and after one ride I gave them to my son. Oh, after I washed them.

Digital Gee 02-14-09 10:33 AM

This thread is useless without pics.

John E 02-14-09 11:01 AM

I am mostly a roadie, and I do about half of my riding for utility purposes, including shopping. I really like REI's "expedition" shorts, which are essentially hiking shorts with a sew-in chamois-padded lycra bike short lining. The zippered front-side pocket provides a secure place to stash my wallet and house key.

Old School 02-14-09 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 8358571)
Similar to maddmaxx, I sometimes wear regular roadie shorts under almost any kind of shorts for non-roadie riding. It's a good way to get the last bit of use from old spandex that has worn too thin for public use.

+1 :thumb:

BengeBoy 02-14-09 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 8358571)

Me, too. I have some *really* old shorts with *genuine* chamois that I wear under tights in the winter.

Randochap 02-14-09 03:36 PM

I bought some of these Fox shorts last year, whch c/w a liner short. The liner is a thin, loose weave lycra w/ chamois. I wore the outer short for work and play without the liner, including the short commute to work.

I would never use the short -- inner or outer -- for serious riding, but the liner comes in handy for wearing under winter tights (sans chamois) and under other shorts on very cold days w/ leg warmers.

You wouldn't want to wear the liner by itself, unless you were interested in being arrested for indecent exposure. Incedentally, what I can't figure though is why so many feel indecent in ordinary (proper) cycling shorts?

OK, thinking that one over, I have seen some rather indecent lycra-clad spectacles!:eek:

As for the outer short, they are unremarkable Chinese-made cotton shorts that could be picked up at your local clothing store for $15.00.

I wouldn't normally buy such an ensemble, but I got a wholesale deal. I'd leave this fashion stuff to the MTB crowd. Can't see why they want clothing that snags branches though:innocent:

+1 for idea of using worn shorts for liners.