Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sometimes it's hard work being lazy

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 07:12 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Dropped the car off at the doctor's this morning for yet another attempt to fix the gear box.
Rode home ... which was nice seeing the shop is literally at the bottom of Flagstaff Hill so I had to fight my way up that from a cold/standing start - got home utterly and completely stuffed (coughing up phlem, body burning, all that good stuff - you really do need to warm up first don't you).
Unemployed so I'm supposed to be looking for work which is easy because there flamin' isn't any

So I thought 'stuffit, I'll be lazy and watch a video'.
HAH!
I'd just finished reading a book and 'knew' I had a movie on the same subject so thought watching that would complement reading the book.
You reckon I could find the movie? Of course not, and our collection isn't thaaaaat big.
Okay, I can go up to the library and grab something. Seeing I'm in 'slob mode', I'll buy a pie and pastie for lunch. Make an afternoon of it.
Oh hang on, the car's in the workshop.
I don't really feel like riding the bike because I still feel stuffed and besides my pie'd get squished in the saddle bags
There's the 'spare' car but that hasn't been driven in months and I'd have to wash the windscreen and fit a new rego label ... and then find out if it wants to start.

Sheesh, all I wanted to do was slob around a be lazy ... and it all involves WORK!

So I thought I'd come on here and whine at you lot instead ... only that's starting to feel like work too.

Richard
**removes tongue from cheek**
Old 02-24-09, 08:51 PM

Bikes: DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing nothing is a full time job.
Tom Snyder, used to have a tv show here, said about his 1 year off with pay "I was more busy that year than in other years."
dc
Old 02-24-09, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I used to do this when I wanted to have a lazy day. One ounce of Jack Daniels in my morning coffee, and NOTHING WOULD GET DONE all day. Only takes one and I just wouldn't care. bk
Old 02-24-09, 10:17 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I used to do this when I wanted to have a lazy day. One ounce of Jack Daniels in my morning coffee, and NOTHING WOULD GET DONE all day. Only takes one and I just wouldn't care. bk
I did that going to the soccer one night - made up my thermos and added a dash (so I thought) of brandy. Opened the thermos at the soccer and the fumes were so strong that people all around me became incoherent, many slumped in their seats, the drunks four rows down turned around and bowed to me. Be blowed if I can remember who won the game.

You'll all be excited to know that my spare car now has a clean windscreen, a new rego sticker, pumped up tyres and a few more kilometres on the clock after she finally decided to start before taking me up to the library where I borrowed a movie about Gino Bartali (in Italian) - first disc watched, second being saved for another time because I'm about to go out in the shed and fit a new chain to the Europa (bought a new chain for her a couple of weeks back ... and it was ONE link too short ).

Indidentally, I'm still suffering from the climb up that hill this morning - coughing up phlegm and sore all through my chest. I've been off the bike a week, that's all, and already my condition's stuffed. Legs feel fine, it's the rest of me that's eucred.

Come on you lot, hijack this thread with your own stories of utter laziness ... or are you all to lazy to post.

Richard
Old 02-24-09, 10:57 PM
lube addict

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
...Come on you lot, hijack this thread with your own stories of utter laziness ... or are you all to lazy to post.

Richard
Sorry, but I'm busy with Jack, Hiram and Johnnie right now.
Old 02-24-09, 11:10 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the heck is a rego sticker?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-24-09, 11:21 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
What the heck is a rego sticker?
cor blimey

Rego sticker - registration sticker - the wee sticky thing we're obliged to stick on our windscreen to reassure the government that we've contributed to the state coffers for the priveledge of being allowed to drive that motor car on public roads. The rego fees are supposedly made up of the registration fee itself, third party person insurance, victims of crime levy or some such daft thing and administration fees ... not to mention a wee extra to help keeps the costs down in the pariamentary dining room.

And while I'm taking shots at the politicians - here in Adelaide, we usually refer to Paliament House (where the pollies gather to make all the decisions) as the 'Gas Factory'

Richard
Old 02-25-09, 04:17 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Come on you lot, hijack this thread with your own stories of utter laziness ... or are you all to lazy to post.

Richard
I would but you see I am a bit lazy right now so maybe later...
Old 02-25-09, 04:39 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Seriously, I think I hurt something this morning with that ride. My chest is still sore. I'm still coughing and I feel like I've got a chest infection ... all from one ride in warm conditions? Be interesting to see how I pull up tomorrow morning after a night's 'sleep'.

Richard
Old 02-25-09, 07:38 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can top your lazy day. I got up, fixed a cup of tea and read a good book (Jeff Shaara, Gods and Generals) while my husband went to the unemployment office. I'm so lazy I don't even feel guilty!
Old 02-25-09, 07:55 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richard
I thought my life would be filled with these lazy days after I retired.....wow, was I wrong I've been busier than ever with biking, projects around the house, dining out with friends, etc.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-25-09, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Laziness defined is the lack of desire to expend effort. Expending effort is work. Eugene Delacroix, the French Romantic painter is quoted as saying, "We work not only to produce but to give value to time." Hence, being truly lazy does tend to make one's like a bit meaningless. Your suffering on this particular day was simply evidence that your time has value because of the work you put into your endeavors. Sometimes the simplest things are the most work.

Toward the end of last summer I thought I'd "take a day off and relax" by doing simple things for the day with no specific agenda in mind. I thought I'd do a little maintenance on one of my bikes. I discover that the chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. No problem, I'll take a casual trip to the LBS and pick up a new one. Get to the LBS and discover I don't have my wallet with me. Head back home; get the wallet; go back to LBS. I then pull the chain off the display shelf, pay for it and head home. Upon arriving at home, I find that I picked up a 9 speed chain instead of the 10 speed chain I need. Back to LBS to make the exchange. On the way home, yes you guessed it, I flat. I fix the flat and get back home to discover that my frame pump is not on the bike. This time I take the car and drive back to the spot where I fixed the flat. The pump is still there, and the two of us make our way back home. I look at my watch and realize the day is gone and the old chain is still on the bike. I think, "To hell with it." I then sit down on my backyard patio and read the newspaper from cover to cover. My wife comes home and asked what I did with my day off. I reply, "Not a damn thing."
Old 02-25-09, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
And while I'm taking shots at the politicians - here in Adelaide, we usually refer to Paliament House (where the pollies gather to make all the decisions) as the 'Gas Factory'
Thanks, I'm going to use that, in my state, it is more true that not.
As for lazy, a lazy day for me is wake up, walk the puppies, take a nap, wake up, have lunch, take a nap, wake up, watch half of a TV show, take a nap..... you get the idea.

BTW; it's tIre.