Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   shoes question (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/514015-shoes-question.html)

Rob_K 02-23-09 02:22 PM

shoes question

As you may know, I have just made the transition to clipless shoes. The Shimano MT41 for those interested. They are the correct size but I do have some difficulty getting into them at this point. Will they loosen up a bit or will I always need a shoehorn to prize my way in?

Rick@OCRR 02-23-09 02:35 PM

I've never had a problem getting into Shimano shoes and they snug up quite comfortably after I velcro them on, no worries.

Your Milage May Vary!

Rick / OCRR

Allegheny Jet 02-23-09 02:40 PM

Rubber mallets work well to make a shoe fit just right.

maddmaxx 02-23-09 03:53 PM

Their mountain shoes and will work much better (fit wise) after a thurough coating of mud has been applied. Terrierman, one of our other frequent posters has an interesting way of breaking in shoes. First he finds a stream............................

RonH 02-23-09 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_K (Post 8412036)
As you may know, I have just made the transition to clipless shoes. The Shimano MT41 for those interested. They are the correct size but I do have some difficulty getting into them at this point. Will they loosen up a bit or will I always need a shoehorn to prize my way in?

As with any type of shoe did you untie the laces and loosen the strap? :lol:

MNBikeguy 02-23-09 07:15 PM

I find Shimano runs narrow.
Hope that's not it.

OTOH I'm sure Shimano has an instructional video re that velcro thingy at the top. I've heard it's tricky... All in the wrist.

Rob_K 02-24-09 12:20 AM

Well, I tried the rubber mallett and now my feet are killing me. Actually, I should have tried undoing the laces. Silly me. :D

maddmaxx 02-24-09 04:47 AM

Now for the serious answer. I find that bike shoes break in more slowly than regular shoes. I believe that is because they do not flex and get stretched as much while on a bike. Usually, with a more normal wearable shoe like your 41 (I wear the 38) I wear them for a day or two as regular shoes before I put the cleats on. Yes it's less than comfortable, however it seems to accelerate the breakin. This doesn't work as well for heavily studded MTB shoes or Road Shoes. I find that those who are breaking in road shoes don't smile or wave as much.

stapfam 02-24-09 12:22 PM

I do find that the Shimano shoes have to have the laces undone more than the other Shoes I have- but Have moved on from them now. They stay as the spare shoes. They were 8 years old before they got relegated to the spares box and nothing really wrong with them. I just walked into the LBS one day and tried on a pair of Dia Dora's and they were more comfortable.

oldbobcat 02-25-09 10:20 AM

If they're easier to get into than a pair of ski boots you're in fine shape.

Allegheny Jet 02-25-09 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rob_K (Post 8416030)
Well, I tried the rubber mallett and now my feet are killing me. Actually, I should have tried undoing the laces. Silly me. :D

Oops! My bad, I'll try to be more specific next time I reccomend a technique.:D