Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Blankety blank weather people!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forecast is for 5-10 cm's(2-4 ins) of the white stuff overnite and tomorrow,just finished doing the driveway and measure the backyard. 25CM's(11 inches) since 5 o'clock and still falling hard.
Old 02-26-09, 04:17 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I know your in the milder portions..........but it's still Canada...
Old 02-26-09, 11:46 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I think you need a vacation in FL, SoCal or maybe Australia. You'd feel better then. I the meantime, don't blame the weather people, it's not their fault. Plus, they're usually wrong anyway!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-26-09, 12:08 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We had 7" over the weekend and are looking at another inch tonight. We are looking at a cold weekend coming up (Sat 25/8, Sun 24/9), but March is almost here and the warm up must eventually happen.

Just 10 more days until our sunset is at 6:57 pm.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-26-09, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's only February man!!! Ya gotta expect snow in the winter! What I hate is the early spring snow/thaw cycle: snow, melt, snow more to cover the mud, melt...
Old 02-26-09, 01:27 PM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, you should study & go for the job...I mean, what other profession can you have a hit ration of less than 25% correct, and still get paid? Other than Wall Street, or being a US Automotive exec...or...forget it.
Old 02-26-09, 01:53 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here, March is often the snowiest month of the winter. It is unlikely I will be on the road bike before April. And April weather is very unpredictable. The really nice cycling weather usually starts in May and lasts through the end of September or beginning of October.
Old 02-26-09, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proves the fact that Punxsutawney Phil was correct.
Old 02-26-09, 04:51 PM
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here, 100km to the south of Nanaimo, the sun is shining and no trace of the few flakes that fell overnight. It's bright and 1C.
Old 02-26-09, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ka_Jun
Dude, you should study & go for the job...I mean, what other profession can you have a hit ration of less than 25% correct, and still get paid? Other than Wall Street, or being a US Automotive exec...or...forget it.
Oh how true!!!

Yesterday's weather report for this area was just cloudy with the daytime high of 45 degrees F.

Got up at 7 to load the bicycles onto the car. The plan was for a ride on the Schuylkill River Trail from Valley Forge down into Philly and back.

Pulled the wife's Raleigh Detour out of the shed. When I went to wheel it out to the car the rear brake lever would not work. The bike had last been used in a lot of mud in mid-Dec. Water went into the brake cable housing. Not being stainless the cable of course rusted fast. Put it back and pulled her Trek Navigator. Pumped up the tires and loaded it onto the car. Then pulled my Trek Multitrack. As I pushed it out of the yard it made a funny thunking sound. Noted the plastic disk in the rear wheel had broken loose. Pliers took care of that. Got it on the car.
So it was off to Betzwood, or so I thought at the time. Stopped at a nearby WAWA for hot chocolate. As we climbed out of the car the snow flakes started to fall. But not to worry the weather channel said it would be finished by 8:30 a.m.
Then down the road towards Valley Forge. While passing by the nuke plant cooling towers we ran into very heavy sleet. Then out of it. Pulled into the Betzwood parking lot. Everything dry. As I started to pull my bike off the rack we were again pelted by sleet.
Then it was up to Ridge Pike. The wife noted a few rays of sun towards Philly. So down Ridge and onto Kelly drive. A quick trip to the rest rooms before unloading the bikes. Everything nice and dry. Come out of the rest rooms and again get pelted with sleet.
So it was hit a place to eat and head home.

So now I am wondering if there is a patron saint of bicycling we must pray to. Or is their some heathen god that requires a sacrifice. Say an old chain or inner tube.

I tend to look out for evil omens and this date did not let me down. Last year I watched 30 or 40 buzzards circling overhead in the Betzwood parking lot and that was the day the wife and her bike ended up in the Roxborough ER.
Old 02-26-09, 08:38 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Today is was 91 in CenTx at 5PM, warmest day we've had. Mrs. Mono and I took the tandem out for a 15 mile spin. I wore shorts and short sleeves with my Shimano sandals. We're just hoping it will rain again someday.