Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Summer is nearly here.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Summer is nearly here.

Old 03-06-09, 04:20 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Summer is nearly here.

Been looking in the garden for the first signs of spring and They are appearing- The grass is beginning to look scruffy and tiny seedlings I have been tending in the flower beds have shown their true colours and are finally identifiable as weeds.

But I decided to look on the calendar to see when spring begins and Can't find a specific date for it-I have decided that I must have missed it as Summer officially begins on the 29th of March over here. Incidentally- the date of my first 100 miler this year- Wonder how many entries there will be this year?

Spike Milligan
Old 03-07-09, 11:46 AM

Bikes: DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess 'nearly' is the operative word. Here we still have at least one more week of ugly cold, then maybe some decent temperatures. But at least no more rain.
Yesterday I did get 10 miles. I am trying to get up for the Pasadena Marathon run of 26 miles, my first long range effort (long for me).
What are all those paths in England, paved, not wide enough for a car, are they for bicycles and motorcycles or what?
And how extensive are those. I have been in England, but was not able to explore those. Basically we have nothing like that here. We have sidewalks which sometimes bicycles can use, but they almost always parallel roads.
dc
Old 03-07-09, 12:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have a charity in England called Sustrans. It is promoting Cycle and walking paths between communities and are very successful at it. It is possible to go from Dover- In the South East corner - to Cornwall- in the south West corner and I suppose about 300 miles- with either Good paths suitable for cycling or on back roads that are well signposted for car drivers to be aware of cyclists. In fact- it is possible to go all over England on these paths and due to Sustrans being awarded £50,000,000 last year from lottery funding- You will see a lot more of England paved over for Cycling routes.

Basically these paths are MUP's so are not a high speed expressway to travel England but are a good safe route for Commuters to travel on.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-08-09, 12:39 PM

Bikes: DiamondBack Edgewood// Raleigh M20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sustrans looks really great. Too bad we have no such thing here.
It looks like they are using old railroad right of ways. And paving them.
I also get the impression they may be using ancient walking paths that never became roads.
MUP. Is that Multi Use Path, or minor use permit. Multi use would or would not include motorcycles or scooters? Or just walking and bicycling?
Thanks for the info.
dc