Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Reading glasses for biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/516277-reading-glasses-biking.html)

sherbornpeddler 03-02-09 03:40 PM

Reading glasses for biking

Oh, I've got reading glasses but what a pain to
read a map
read my gps
see who is calling before answering
read my power meter-odometer
make a minor road side repair.

I used to do most of those things without stopping.

I wear sunglasses for eye protection so doing any of the above means stopping, taking off the sunglasses, pulling out and putting on the reading glasses then accomplish the original task.

I'm avoiding buying bifocal sunglasses because I am cheap, wear 3$ reading glasses (including case) and have a good pair of sunglasses.
Anyone have experience with those add-on bifocal lenses for sunglasses?

Cone Wrench 03-02-09 03:51 PM

Or just ignore all the distractions, specially the cell phone, and ride the bike.

Robert Foster 03-02-09 04:25 PM

I don't know what power your reading glasses are but Lowes has safety glasses/sun glasses with a reading lens built it. They are pretty inexpensive.

DiabloScott 03-02-09 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 8455172)
I'm avoiding buying bifocal sunglasses because I am cheap, wear 3$ reading glasses (including case) and have a good pair of sunglasses.

I've got trifocal progressive lens sunglasses... not cheap, still less than perfect vision at any distance.

Just posting to say ... "wish I had your problem".

Monoborracho 03-02-09 04:33 PM

read a map
read my gps

I wear sunglasses for eye protection so doing any of the above means stopping, taking off the sunglasses, pulling out and putting on the reading glasses then accomplish the original task.

I've tried the $7 bifocal stick ons. The work for a while, then fall off. My far vision is still 20/20, so I buy these a three or four at a time in both gray and clear at the appropriate magnification I need.
Dewalt makes good tools.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ass-Smoke.html

twilkins9076 03-02-09 04:59 PM

We encountered the same problem last year on the first day of week long tour of the Michigan shoreline. We ride a tandem, and my wife typically reads the maps/cue sheets from the stoker seat. Last fall was the first ride where her eyes had gotten so bad that she couldn't read the maps. We found a CVS drug store that sold sunglasses with built in bifocal 'readers'. I think they cost us 20 bucks, but solved our problem.

We kept the glasses for our next trip!

JanMM 03-02-09 05:04 PM

I have bought several pair of bifocal safety glasses from these folks.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

My visual deficit is primarily close focus so bifocals are fine for cycling and yard work, etc.

I have never had a pair of progressive addition glasses that would keep the wind out of my eyes at speed. (translation: downhill)

waldowales 03-02-09 05:13 PM

Just be patient. As you age and your lenses yellow, you won't need sunglasses anymore, just trifocals, like me!:)

pipes 03-02-09 05:25 PM

I got photo transition lens and safety glass in twistoflex frames damn near indestructable covers everything sunglasses safety glasses and I can't kill the frames but man there expensive .

Dellphinus 03-02-09 05:33 PM

I use the stick on bifocals- have only had one come off in three years of use, and it was my fault- left an edge sticking out that caught on my glove as I wiped my face.

Trick: only use one- it works just fine once you get used to it. ANd, put them on upside down- round edge up

Suzie Green 03-02-09 05:51 PM

What also might be a nice related thread, if anyone would care to start it, is a comparison of bike computers and how large the readouts are. Good stuff for the over-50 crowd I would think. I've been using an older Avocet computer that isn't too bad. A friend had a Trek model (I think) which had terribly small numbers.

I REALLY should upgrade my computer to perhaps a wireless model.

bikerwannabe 03-02-09 07:18 PM

+1 for stick ons.

Have 2 pr of biking glasses with stick on lenses - work great, never had any come off. Perfect solution in my opinion.

I wear contacts when I bike (to improve my peripheral vision), but can't wear contacts for long indoors...so I wear prescription progressive glasses. I am starting to wonder why I bother with expensive progressive lenses at all - maybe I should use stick ons all the time:)

sherbornpeddler 03-02-09 08:12 PM

High quality glasses and quit being a crybaby: 4
Safety glasses/inexpensive off the shelf: 3
Stickon: 2
Look for bigger font display: 1

I ordered $8 dollar bifocal safety glasses. I'll try those first.
Regards,
Crybaby

PS.
Planet Bike odometer on one bike. It had the biggest font at the time (four lines character ht- TOP= 5/16IN *MIDDLE TWO= 1/4IN *LOWER= 3/16IN) but it looks like several have at least one line with large font.

Bud Bent 03-02-09 08:13 PM

I use the stick on lenses as well. They work great. You look over the reading glass part of the lens to see in the distance, but when you look at your computer or anything close, you're looking through the reading glass lens.

I've been buying safety glasses with the bifocal reading glass lens built in for a while now. Last time I ordered, I also picked up a pair of tinted safety glasses to try on my bike. They work great, too. They wrap around your face enough to stop the wind, just like good cycling glasses.

Rick@OCRR 03-02-09 08:23 PM

I just slide my glasses down my nose a bit until I can read the route sheet, then shove them back up again to see where I'm going. Nothing to buy, no bi-focals needed . . . well, that is until the day when my nose is too short!

I've been doing this for at least 20 years now, so the end may be near!

Rick / OCRR

mud 03-02-09 09:06 PM

I use safety glasses from the site that JanMM recommends. I've had them for the last two riding seasons, work great, good quality and cheap!

bobbycorno 03-03-09 09:16 AM

Yes. They work. They cost $10 a pair at Wallgreens. Go buy a pair.

SP
Bend, OR

ps - if they cover too much of your lenses, get a good sharp pair of scissors and cut 'em down like I did.

Jean Beetham Smith 03-03-09 09:32 AM

I've used the stick on lenses for 8 years now. I've never lost one while riding, it is always when I stick them into a bag between rides. I've always used the optx 20 20 brand and have ordered them online because our pharmacy isn't too reliable about stocking them.

JohnDThompson 03-03-09 09:35 AM

read a map
read my gps

I just use clip-on sunglasses over my regular bifocals.

X-LinkedRider 03-03-09 09:40 AM

When I first saw the title of the thread I was curious as to what kind of reading you are doing while riding. After reading the thread, I now know what you were referring to. It was still funny for a moment though. I was like keep your eyes on the road. :)

BILLB58 03-03-09 10:03 AM

Have been using the stick on-add on's to my good sunglasses since last year....not a problem...cheap and easy....

Had the same problem you have, and didn't want to buy bifocal sun glasses....

Bought a pair of inexpensive clear safety glasses, and added the stick-on's for rain and dusk bug conditions....

stapfam 03-03-09 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench (Post 8455244)
Or just ignore all the distractions, specially the cell phone, and ride the bike.

Another that suffers From not long enough arms and this is one reason Why I do not do well marshalled rides on my own. I learnt many years ago that if I have entered a ride and in the return envelope I get a list of "Turn left at the A297" etc. It was time to get on the computer and re print in Large Print.

Didn't bother me too much as I always did these rides with a mate of mine- Mike. He had no trouble reading the directions- But we still got lost as he couldn't understand them.

sherbornpeddler 03-03-09 11:24 AM

Where's Mike when you need him?

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 8459808)

Another that suffers From not long enough arms and this is one reason Why I do not do well marshalled rides on my own. I learnt many years ago that if I have entered a ride and in the return envelope I get a list of "Turn left at the A297" etc. It was time to get on the computer and re print in Large Print.

Didn't bother me too much as I always did these rides with a mate of mine- Mike. He had no trouble reading the directions- But we still got lost as he couldn't understand them.

Hey, I know Mike! Thank God for Mike. I don't mind getting lost, it's not being able to share the blaime or pool resources when asking in a pub for directions...... It is impolite to ask directions and not have one?

gpelpel 03-03-09 11:28 AM

One word: MONOVISION.

I had been wearing glasses all my life (started in 5th grade) until 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with cataracts at age 49. I was near-sighted so at that time I was removing my glasses for reading but needed them for everything else including bike riding (inserts).
The surgeon offered me to try monovision meaning one eye would be set for long distance and the other for reading. Life has been so convenient since, no more glasses to wear, no ugly inserts in my cycling shades. At first I thought it would be weird but the brain adjusts very quickly to it so I would say the transition period was closed to nil.

Now I don't recommend that you get a surgery but you might be able to work around your situation by wearing one contact lens set for reading distance while your other eye provides you regular vision. Ask your eye doctor if this is feasible.

sherbornpeddler 03-06-09 05:21 AM

Cool,
Got the bifocal safety glasses in the mail and will try tehm. As safety glasses they are wider than my regular sunglasses and may not be as effective at wind blocking. If not, on to the stickies!