Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Looking to spend a week in St Augustine, FL (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/517065-looking-spend-week-st-augustine-fl.html)

DnvrFox 03-04-09 05:22 PM

Looking to spend a week in St Augustine, FL

Looking to spend a week in St Augustine, FL

My wife and I (70 yo) are looking to spend a week in St Augustine, and are specifically looking at a week rental of a condo S of ST A, at Anastasia Island, and, hopefully, do a bit of light "beach cruiser" bike riding.

Anyone here from St A?

A couple of places we are looking at are some condos in Beachers Lodge and Ocean Village Club, among others.

Hopefully, we will get close to the state park, and we want an ocean front (water front) condo with water view and direct access.

We love to bike, walk, and I like swimming in the ocean.

I ride about 3,500 miles per year, my wife about 1,000 or so. I ride Lemond BA, and my beater Spec HR. Wife rides hybrid and mtn bike.

We will also be visiting her sister in Longwood (N Orlando) area, and may plan on driving from St A to Orlando. Is this a long, hard drive?

Any ideas or suggestions? We live in CO.

Thanks.

maddmaxx 03-04-09 05:33 PM

It is a 90 mile drive, about 45 down to Daytona and then 45 to Orlando on I4. I4 toward Orlando in the morning rush hour and away from Orlando in the afternoon is a potential parking lot. Plan accordingly on weekdays. St Augustine itself is a beautiful old city with the traffic relatively confined to one main road and several very slow one lane alley's. A trip to the fort is interesting and if you feel like really being a tourist, a ride in one of the horse drawn carrages around town with a tour guide is a lot of fun. I'm not sure what traffic is like out on the island.

kjc9640 03-04-09 06:33 PM

DFox, I live in Altamonte Springs FL, next to Longwood. If you are looking for a place to ride close to LW let me know.

Masher...

GatorNole 03-04-09 06:39 PM

DnvrFox---Hi--I live in Jax and I visit St. Aug about once a week. Nice place--Plenty of condos for rent, believe me. If you stay on Anastasia Island, the beach is right at your footsteps. The drive to Orlando is very easy--45-60 minutes. If you like parks---Alligator farm is good. Fort Matanzas is good--you take a boat ride over to the fort.
You have to eat at Caps---couple miles north of St Augustine off of AIA--restaurant is located on the Intracoastal Waterway. Sit outside and enjoy the waterway. Also, Casa Monica hotel is great for a nice romantic meal (little expensive). My wife and I eat breakfast their about once a month. Another favorite of mine is Cortese's Bistro and Martini Bar located across for the merry-go-round. Just ask anyone where the merry-go-round is. A guy plays a guitar on weekend nights and it's nice to sit outside under a canopy of live oaks (great wine).
My wife and I take our bikes down about once a month and ride through the city all through the back streets. Go down by the National Guard armory--really pretty section of homes and the military cemetary is very moving. Oh -their are many B and B's in St. Aug. Traffic is not that bad--they are rebuilding the Bridge of Lions and a temporary one has been built that takes traffic across to the island. Anastasia Island's traffic isn't bad. I do a lot of photography so I am all over the place down there and it's very enjoyable. I've followed a pair of nesting eagles for 4 years and have never had any traffic woes. The Ospreys are all over the place especially down by Marineland--nice place also to visit--My favorite beach in St. Aug is Matanzas---just south of SR 206 on A1A---Beautiful beach that connects the ocean with the Intracoastal---only other advice is to stay away from the tourist trap restaurants--the ones I mentioned are great--go eccentic and find some small off the main drag little cafe's. The weather is getting warmer here so it should be a lot of fun for you---The trolley is a good thing to take that gives a lot of history and of course the horse and buggy. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions--

robtown 03-04-09 06:40 PM

My parents and sister live in St. Augustine; it's a nice area. The only road I'm familiar with on the island is the main one - A1A. It's reasonably wide with shoulders and it is flat.
The fort and downtown are nice and the architecture is interesting. Check out the Episcopal chruch - with wood rafters (from ships), pipe organ, and Tiffany stained glass windows. Within a block or two is a nice museum.

Tom Bombadil 03-04-09 09:08 PM

I spent 5 days there last year. I stayed right on the beach in St. Augustine Beach which is just south of Anastasia Park. I was close enough to walk to the park, which I did a couple of times.

I looked at a couple of the rooms at Ocean Village Club. They were fine. Not fancy, but nice. Checked it out for a potential future trip back.

I really enjoyed my stay there. My parents live about 30 miles from St Augustine, in Palatka. I've been to St. Aug 5 or 6 times over the years.

RonH 03-05-09 08:02 AM

Dnvr, if you don't have a house/condo yet, every time we go to FL for a vacation we look at www.vrbo.com for a good place to stay. Never been disappointed. Have fun. :beer:

DnvrFox 03-05-09 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 8472104)
Dnvr, if you don't have a house/condo yet, every time we go to FL for a vacation we look at www.vrbo.com for a good place to stay. Never been disappointed. Have fun. :beer:

Thanks - exactly where I am looking.

When we rented out our former condo in the CO mountains, that is one of the spots we advertised.