Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Riding after cataract surgery (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/518242-riding-after-cataract-surgery.html)

Yen 03-08-09 12:53 PM

Riding after cataract surgery

Hubby's having his first cataract surgery (right eye) on March 13. He opted for the Toric corrective lens to correct his severe astigmatism and improve distance vision. The doctor explained he'll probably need glasses for close-up reading and computer use, so he's excited about the possibility of not having to wear tri-focals every waking hour of the day (he started wearing bi-focals when he was 15).

I've seen comments from some here saying they rode the day after surgery, but his surgeon cautioned against that until at least a week. We appreciate his cautious approach and he's willing to abide by his guidelines.

Mainly, we're wondering about the typical post-op activities and how others adjusted to riding after the first implant and again after the second. He'll have the second surgery soon after the first one heals.

JanMM 03-08-09 01:52 PM

I haven't been involved in the care of cataract patients since about 1978, when the surgery was done in hospitals and patients were bedfast for a ridiculous length of time post-op. Things have changed for the better!!

That being said, I would be really cautious about bicycling, just because of the possibility of having a bug or speck of floating debris or whatever getting in the eye. A week sounds reasonable.

deraltekluge 03-08-09 04:31 PM

Do what the doctor says. Weigh the benefits vs. costs: How does the pleasure of a few days of cycling compare to the possibility of damage to his eye?

Yen 03-13-09 08:04 PM

Thank you. Of course we will follow doctor's orders..... I also asked how others adjusted to riding between the first and second implants.

His surgery was this morning. WOW!!! We're blown away by the amazing results. This eye went from 20/200 before surgery to 20/30 a few hours after surgery even with the expected post-op mild swelling and cloudiness. He's watching TV tonight without glasses (first time in..... 50+ years??!!??) and can read small letters at the bottom of the screen (we have an old 19" TV). Just a bit ago, he turned to me and said "You are crystal clear" -- WITHOUT glasses. Before surgery, he wore trifocals from the time he got up in the morning to the time he went to bed.

A soon as this one heals (~2 weeks) he'll have the other one done. It will be great if he can wear just regular (non-Rx) cycling glasses.

Yes JanMM -- things certainly have changed for the MUCH better. The surgery lasted 15-20 minutes and we stopped for breakfast about 2 hours later on the way home.

Again, WOW!!!

recycled55 03-13-09 08:18 PM

I just completed both surgeries recently. I did as the doc said and waited a week before riding. The second was exactly a week following the first one. I am amazed that it is so good without my tri focals just like your husband. I had different retnia (sp)surgery following the cateract which is now in recovery stage. Go back next week for follow up and probable release to ride again.
recycled55

Louis 03-13-09 09:36 PM

Congratulations to Mr.Yen.

My wife had cataract surgery on both eyes a few years ago. She also opted for lens implants and is now living life sans spectacles. Although not a cyclist, her surgeon cautioned about rubbing her eyes or going without eye protection when participating in activities where even a mild blow to the eye could occur.

europa 03-13-09 10:52 PM

Now he'll really start to discover just how lovely his wife is :D

Way to go. No glasses - wow, what does that feel like?
I tried contact lenses years ago (and again a few times after that) and the only fond memory I have of any of the attempts was being able to buy sunglasses.

Richard

JanMM 03-14-09 07:59 AM

Sounds like things are Lookin' Good!

Whiteknight 03-14-09 03:52 PM

My wife had both of her eyes done in 2006 and I had both of mine done in 2007. Each surgery was a week off the bike per eye. They would not do both eyes at the same time.

I wear shooting glasses with side and top protection to keep bits of stone and dirt out of my eyes. I spent 37 years in industry where safety glasses were a must. After the eye surgery I needed glasses only for reading. But one bike ride with no glasses showed me how much dirt a good pair of glasses keeps out of your eyes while riding. We do a lot of rail trails with stone dust. The bikes kick up a bit of that dust. The shielded glasses keep it out of the eyes.