Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

damn, damn, damn

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

damn, damn, damn

Old 03-11-09, 04:30 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn, damn, damn

When will riding season get here for the masses.

This forum is making 50+ so aged it's ridiculous!!!

What is the next thread?? "What bed pan do you use-----and how many times each night?"

"What type of Depends fit best?"

"Ring Ring," I'm coming by!!

Look--just kidding. Cabin fever is rampant!! And WE ARE NOT OLD, DAMN IT!!!!!
Old 03-11-09, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Cheer up. Saturday is Pi day.
Old 03-11-09, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
My knees remind me every day that I'm not young anymore. For the most part, I can work around it by teating them well. But they did force me to cut a vacation in Europe short. Couldn't take all that walking on pavement. bk
Old 03-11-09, 04:49 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I can work around it by teating them well.
I might pay money to see that.
Old 03-11-09, 04:52 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where in Texas is it not riding season? Maybe it is just that once us old guys start out the door it is just too much trouble to go back inside so we do a ride anyway.
Old 03-11-09, 05:03 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had my second coldest commute of the year today - 26 degrees when I left home. I was prepared, so was properly dressed, and had a very nice ride. Should be 40-ish on the way home tonight.

Last week I really froze one day -- I looked outside in the morning, it was bright and sunny, and thought it was at least 45 or so (I mistook "sunshine" for "warm."). Turns out it was mid30's and because I'd grabbed some lightweight gloves my hands froze.

I am weary of it, though - we've had a "late" winter, and I'm ready for spring.
Old 03-11-09, 05:09 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know how you feel as I'm also anxious to get out. 50+mph winds with a half inch of rain today on top of the two inches we got over the last three days is not conducive to my riding (especially with a head cold).

We took a drive through the Finger Lakes area yesterday and literaly every valley floor is under water thanks to the rain/thaw combination!!!

MAKE IT STOP ALREADY!!!!!
Old 03-11-09, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Riding season? It's always riding season! Winter riding season has been here since December 25. Spring riding season starts in less than two weeks, followed by Summer and Fall.

Paul
Old 03-11-09, 06:03 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Riding season? It's always riding season! Winter riding season has been here since December 25. Spring riding season starts in less than two weeks, followed by Summer and Fall.

Paul
Not always true for all of us. Where as I rode all last Winter and thrived on it, I wussed out this Winter and drove to work. We had a rare year of extremes with copious amounts of early season snow and more wind storms than I care to count. I mean big, damaging winds of 50, 60 & 70 mph.

I, for one, simply did not feel safe out there this Winter...and if the cyclist doesn't feel safe, he's not (in my opinion).

Maybe next Winter I'll ride again, we'll see. Meanwhile my nose is to the glass just waiting for this crap to clear outa here!!!!
Old 03-11-09, 06:52 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
50+mph winds with a half inch of rain today on top of the two inches we got over the last three days is not conducive to my riding
I'll admit that I rode more slowly than usual on Joseph Ave due to the crosswind. It kept blowing me out into the lane. I'm getting pretty good at anticipating gusts by keeping an eye on flying debris. I was hoping to draft a Pepsi truck I caught at a light, but he accelerated too quickly.

Once I was on Main St, it was Big Ring City! Only thing that kept me under the speed limit was that I to pull over with everyone else to let some fire trucks go by. Darned fire trucks!