Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   50+ SoCal bikeforums.net Ride Mar.22, 2009 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/520831-50-socal-bikeforums-net-ride-mar-22-2009-a.html)

Rick@OCRR 03-16-09 01:40 PM

50+ SoCal bikeforums.net Ride Mar.22, 2009

I started out by sending PM's to all of the known (to me) 50+ SoCal bikeforumites, but then I thought, "Whoa, what if there are lurkers, or riders I've missed?" They should be invited too!

Where: San Gabriel River Trail (that's a MUP) aka: SGRT
Yeah, but exactly where? Oh, the bridge at the intersection of the SGRT and the Coyote Creek MUP, about four miles inland from Seal Beach. The bridge spans the river, you can't miss it.

When: Sun. March 22nd at 9:00 AM meet, greet and depart about 9:15 AM.

So far, we have:

alicestrong
Mr. Beanz (not quite 50, but close enough)
Condorita
big john (maybe)
Pamestique (probably, I sure hope so!)
Yen (maybe w/Mister Yen)

Sent PM's but have had no reply from:
roadfix (George)
Robert Foster

Fixed Gear bikes: Ride 'em if yah Got 'em,
50+ kit, wear it if you got it!

Condorita is looking for a good place for a pie stop :thumb:. Will advise.

Will ride inland on the SGRT until we get tired and decide to turn back, but I'm thinking about 20 miles max. I've never been that way, so it will be a new experience for me.

Any other SoCal 50+ forumites like to join us? You are welcome to!

Rick / OCRR

Mojo Slim 03-16-09 02:55 PM

Oooo. I'm sorry I will miss this one. I'd almost come down from NorCal to do it, if I could. I have ridden this MUP and it goes on forever. It's interesting if you haven't ridden it every day for a year. Whe I rode it, my wife dropped me off at the beginning, I rode inland, then returned all the way down to Newport Coast. Be sure to post pictures. Here's me in 2007 on the Seal Beach Pier.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...y/CIMG0194.jpg

roadfix 03-16-09 03:17 PM

Sorry folks, I work Sundays all day so I can't join you all for this ride. That's the downside of running a family business. I miss a lot of fun weekend rides....:(

Condorita 03-16-09 04:15 PM

Condorita is looking for a good place for a pie stop
I'm here at work with the map program, and there just isn't a lot along the SGRT. So much of it is industrial, especially when you get up around the dam and your options really fall off then, right into the quarries! :lol

Denny's at Slauson; Subway around Washington and Norwalk; a few options, mostly fast food, at Telegraph. But I'll keep looking.

Rick@OCRR 03-16-09 10:23 PM

Thanks for looking Condi, and I think they do have pie at Denny's . . . or whatever, but you're right, it's hard to find a good pie cafe in a quarry!

Rick / OCRR

DanteB 03-16-09 11:51 PM

Rick, thanks for the invite. But it's the wrong way for me after doing Solvang the day before.

Mr. Beanz 03-17-09 03:32 AM

OK, so like I don't know the area very well so like, where do we park? I've been to Seal Beach from the top of the trail but never started from that end. Is there a convenient parking place near the start?:D

Rick@OCRR 03-17-09 07:44 AM

There is a park in Cerritos, that you can get to off of Bloomfield, that is just a few miles inland from the start bridge. Lots of parking there. It's on the Coyote Creek MUP, so you would take the Coyote Creek south (towards the ocean) to the start bridge from that park.

I'll check on Google Earth and get you the coordinates for the park, but the park boarders on the Coyote Creek MUP.

Rick / OCRR

Edit to add: The park has Bloomfield on the East, Coyote Creek MUP on the West, 195th Street to the North and Del Amo / La Palma on the South.

coordinates for Google Earth: 33 Deg. 50' 35" North, 118 Deg. 03' 26.31" West

Rick@OCRR 03-17-09 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by DanteB (Post 8543933)
Rick, thanks for the invite. But it's the wrong way for me after doing Solvang the day before.

But wait, Dante . . . The Solvang Double is March 28th, so that would give you plenty of time for this ride which is the 22nd.

Rick / OCRR

DanteB 03-17-09 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 8544869)
But wait, Dante . . . The Solvang Double is March 28th, so that would give you plenty of time for this ride which is the 22nd.

Rick / OCRR

I woke at 2 this morning and realized I had the wrong date, oh do I hope I have the right date for my hotel room in Buellton. I was looking at driving time to the start :eek: 2.5-3 hours. So let's see, that means leaving home by 6AM to just make the parking lot, better leave by 5-5:30. Wake time 4AM, :eek::eek::eek:. Thanks for the invite, but........Hope everyone has fun, keep me in the loop.

Condorita 03-17-09 01:07 PM

Cerritos Regional Park at 195th and Bloomfield, right off of Del Amo (just north of the Target at Del Amo and Bloomfield). Access Coyote Creek from Del Amo or the gate where Shoemaker and 195th curve into each other, on the east side of the park. Free.

Liberty Park, on Studebaker between South St and Del Amo, right up against SGRT. This is the park with the bathrooms and drinking fountain just inside the south gate, near the track. Free. This is my base for any rides I take on SGRT.

Rynerson Park, also on Studebaker, south of Del Amo, also right up against SGRT. Access to the trail is via a wooden bridge over the horse trail. Free.

Pay parking at El Dorado Regional Park. The Nature Center is just north of the Coyote Creek/SGRT junction.

Rick@OCRR 03-18-09 08:13 AM

Wow, thanks Condorita!

You know the area lots better than I do, so now Mr. Beanz has lots of places to park!

Rick / OCRR

Mr. Beanz 03-18-09 12:18 PM

Well sadly I'm out!:(..........The daughter is coming in from AZ with the Grandkids this weekend. We'll be doing breakfast before she leaves Sunday morning. If I miss it, I will be disowned!:p

Sorry guys!:(

alicestrong 03-18-09 12:55 PM

It doesn't look like I'll be recovered enough to ride by this weekend, either.

Rick@OCRR 03-18-09 01:09 PM

Sorry to hear of all the bail-outs (lot of that going around!), but I'll be there regardless!

Rick / OCRR

Condorita 03-19-09 09:21 AM

The five-day on my Google homepage is showing rain in the forecast. But it'll have to be raining to keep me from riding. Threats don't count.

az_cyclist 03-19-09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 8552762)
Well sadly I'm out!:(..........The daughter is coming in from AZ with the Grandkids this weekend. We'll be doing breakfast before she leaves Sunday morning. If I miss it, I will be disowned!:p

Sorry guys!:(

Where does your daughter live in AZ, Mr. Beanz? You can certainly answer in PM if you dont wish to in the open forum.

I will be in the LA area on Mar 28, but wont have my bike.

alicestrong 03-19-09 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 8553097)
Sorry to hear of all the bail-outs (lot of that going around!), but I'll be there regardless!

Rick / OCRR

I definitely would like a "rain check", Rick...

Rick@OCRR 03-19-09 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by alicestrong (Post 8558991)
I definitely would like a "rain check", Rick...

Sure Alice,

No problem. And speaking of rain, I heard a prediction for rain on Sunday, but I have a rain jacket, so whatever!

Rick / OCRR

Mr. Beanz 03-19-09 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by az_cyclist (Post 8558646)
Where does your daughter live in AZ, Mr. Beanz? You can certainly answer in PM if you dont wish to in the open forum.

I will be in the LA area on Mar 28, but wont have my bike.

She's now in Chandler after a couple of years in Levine. My parents moved out to Tucson in 95'ish(?). There was NUTHIN' out there. Last time I was there maybe a year ago, there were houses and buildings everywhere before hitting Phoenix (Goodyear area). It's grown a bunch!:eek:

Parent are now back in Cali. I guess they missed me too much!:p

az_cyclist 03-19-09 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 8560053)
She's now in Chandler after a couple of years in Levine. My parents moved out to Tucson in 95'ish(?). There was NUTHIN' out there. Last time I was there maybe a year ago, there were houses and buildings everywhere before hitting Phoenix (Goodyear area). It's grown a bunch!:eek:

Parent are now back in Cali. I guess they missed me too much!:p

She does not live too close to us then. I am in north Phoenix.. only 10 miles south of Carefree Highway.

CACycling 03-19-09 06:35 PM

I had originally planned to crash the ride. Had my wife convinced that a 190 mile R/T drive was reasonable for a 20 mile ride and she was getting close to coming along. Then, POP! I was wrapping my wife's B-day present (tomorrow is her 49th) and twisted wrong. Haven't thrown my back out for over a decade and had forgotten how debilitating it is. Anyway, I've been alternating between the chiropractor and flat on my back since Tuesday. Decided to try riding today but only managed 5 miles (when I admitted this to my wife she said it confirmed her worst fears about my dedication to riding). Mounting the bike was the worst part. Actually, DISmounting was he worst part. Had to kind of lay the bike down as I couldn't swing my leg over. Hopefully you'll put another ride together in the future that I can crash. Have a great ride and know that I really wish I was with you all.

herbm 03-19-09 06:43 PM

Hey...keep me on the list....cant do it this time...but next time!!

Rick@OCRR 03-19-09 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by CACycling (Post 8562516)
I had originally planned to crash the ride. Had my wife convinced that a 190 mile R/T drive was reasonable for a 20 mile ride and she was getting close to coming along.

Hi CACycling,

Sorry about your back! It's been maybe 15 years since I did that, and I hope its a lot longer before I do it again! And yes, feel free to crash the ride (Note: Different from crashing ON the ride :D) next time. Not sure where / where exactly next time will be yet, but watch this forum!

Rick / OCRR

Rick@OCRR 03-19-09 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by herbm (Post 8562563)
Hey...keep me on the list....cant do it this time...but next time!!

Hi Herb,

Yes, will do! And be sure to join us if your plans change / allow.

Rick / OCRR