Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A couple of questions........... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/525510-couple-questions.html)

Wauzoo 03-29-09 07:24 PM

A couple of questions...........

Hi!

New to this site and full of questions that I know will be answered! Thanks in advance! :)

We ride Greenspeed GT5 trikes.

My wife's issue:
Due to the angle of the seat and short visor on her Bell helmet, she has an issue with the sun always in her eyes. She is looking for a longer visor for the helmet. She has hunted the net and come up wth nothing. Any ideas?

I have a problem with dry eyes and am looking for glasses to seal out the wind prevent excessive tearing. I've ordered Wiley X brand, but due to a small nose bridge, the wind blows in. In the process of trying some wrap around sun glasses, which may work if I place a seal in the nose piece area. Tried OTG's and don't really like them. Any ideas?

Thanks!

KungPaoSchwinn 03-29-09 07:41 PM

I am having the same issue with the wind getting into my eyes, you can buy goggle or wrap around glasses with foam padded behind the frame to seal most of the wind out,try motorcycle shops.

megaman 03-29-09 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wauzoo (Post 8624806)
My wife's issue:
Due to the angle of the seat and short visor on her Bell helmet, she has an issue with the sun always in her eyes. She is looking for a longer visor for the helmet. She has hunted the net and come up wth nothing. Any ideas?

I've seen some use baseball caps under their helmet. Others have used just a visor with their helmet. However, at a higher speed that could prove to be a problem. Some on trikes don't use helmets and just use baseball caps or wide brimmed hats.

megaman 03-29-09 08:10 PM

Here's a visor you could consider.

http://www.lobosolo.com/visor/

Mojo Slim 03-29-09 09:51 PM

These are my prescription sunglasses with which I ride. They are Liberty Torques and feature padding around the inside of the frame, with some air slits to prevent fogging up. I have not had any problem with fogging and find them to be very comfortable and they don't look dorquey.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ssesTorque.jpg

You can see the padding around the inside. Mine happen to be mirror finished and polarized.

Wauzoo 03-30-09 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the info!

Wife ordered 2 of the Carbon Spider visors. I'm still working on glasses. The Liberty Torques are like the Wiley X I ordered. Both would be a good choice, but I need more nose to fill in the gap and stop the wind!

Velo Dog 03-30-09 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by megaman (Post 8624971)
I've seen some use baseball caps under their helmet. Others have used just a visor with their helmet. However, at a higher speed that could prove to be a problem.

I ride into the sun going and coming on my commute, and I don't own a helmet without a visor. It's no problem at any speed I've ever reached, up to 50+mph.
Often, though, the visors don't come down far enough, and adjustable ones aren't as common as they once were. You can solve the problem unglamorously by doubling a piece of duct tape, leaving a strip of exposed stickiness, and applying it to the visor to bring the shade down over her eyes. If you use black tape and trim it neatly, it's not particularly ugly, but in any case it's better than glare.

zonatandem 03-30-09 10:34 PM

Cycling cap . . . if sun get in the eyes, just pull the cap lower on the forehead.
Have attached a large plastic visor to wife's helmet with 4 screws into the foam.
Face shield would keep wind out of eyes as would ski/motorcycle goggles.

Timtruro 03-31-09 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by KungPaoSchwinn (Post 8624921)
I am having the same issue with the wind getting into my eyes, you can buy goggle or wrap around glasses with foam padded behind the frame to seal most of the wind out,try motorcycle shops.

I can't help, I never go fast enough for the wind to get in my eyes.:cry::cry:

JanMM 03-31-09 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by megaman (Post 8625100)
Here's a visor you could consider.

http://www.lobosolo.com/visor/

Highly recommended by more than a few recumbent riders.
Haven't tried it yet, personally.

JanMM 03-31-09 04:49 PM

There is a recumbent forum on BF, too.
Not as wild and exciting as this forum, though.

Wauzoo 04-05-09 05:08 PM

Got to test a set of WileyX Blink glasses yesterday. Road into the cool WI wind for an 1/2 hour or so and never developed a tear. I found my wind proof glasses! Tuesday I'll get the prescription lens ordered.

Thanks for all your replies!

Big Lew 04-05-09 10:38 PM

Years ago I adapted a uv tinted clear visor from a motorcycle helmet. It was nice and long which kept the rain off my glasses and I could see through it unlike all the bike visors of today. Only problem now is the helmets are very narrow compared to motorcycle helmets so they won't fit. Any manufacturer that produces a uv, and lightly tinted clear visor for today's helmets should make a bundle.

BluesDawg 04-05-09 10:48 PM

I prefer the bill of a cycling cap worn under the helmet to a visor attached to it. It is more easily adjustable and I find it more effective.

BTW, it is better to use a more descriptive title for a thread. No way to tell what this one is about without opening it. "A couple of questions about helmet visors" would be better. :)

maddmaxx 04-06-09 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 8638209)
There is a recumbent forum on BF, too.
Not as wild and exciting as this forum, though.

Their too laid back.

Wauzoo 04-06-09 06:08 PM

I like the hat idea, but it's the wife who wanted the longer visor. And you know how they can get.......:fight: She got the Carbon Visors in the mail today and is very pleased with them. :love:

Thanks for the advice on being more specific on the post titles. I'll keep that in mind for my next question. :thumb:

Dchiefransom 04-06-09 06:55 PM

I moved the visor down on my Gyro helmet by drilling holes right along the edge of the plastic. If I get it any lower it will block my vision ahead.