Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Purchased a new Trek Pure Sport

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Purchased a new Trek Pure Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 07:02 AM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you love your Trek Pure. I've ridden one and loved it too. The new models are very elegant looking. Do you have a mirror on your bike? Mirrycle makes a good adjustable mirror that fits on the bar end. It really helps to check to see what's behind you. Some of the hybrid cars are very quiet.
Old 05-17-09, 01:58 PM
Biking Again at 50+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been a month since I purchased my Trek Pure Sport and I enjoy the bike more every time I ride it. The relaxed riding position and the ability to touch the ground with both of my feet while stopped just adds so much more comfort and security in my rides.

I added a rearview mirror that fit right into the end of the handlebar and it is now very easy to glance and see if a car is coming up behind me. I'm riding 10 to 15 miles a week, just around my neighborhood. I purchased this bike for a slower paced recreational riding.

I did recently purchased a Saris Bones 2 trunk mounted bike rack so I can transport my Trek to local parks and bike paths within 50 miles. This will add new scenery to my rides and keep the rides interesting.

The Trek Pure Sport is a great choice of bike if you are older and the Doctor is after you to get more exercise.
Old 05-17-09, 02:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
1 month after buying and you still enjoy it.

Just shows that your research was right and you chose the right bike.

And as to the doc- Watch out for them- Mine told me acouple of years ago that I was overweight and should lose some weight. So I asked her if I ought to carry on going to the gym a couple of nights of the week- Do a couple of 30 mile off road rides in the evenings and about 50 to 60 miles on the bike at the weekends. She then realised that my overweight was not weight- it was her graph for weight and height was wrong.

But the doc is right- You have had the bike a month and not complained about the saddle yet- so get more miles in to find out what pain can be.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-17-09, 04:03 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welcome back to riding. It's very important to get a bike you love to get you enthused. We're all looking forward to continuing posts on your rides, progress and pieces of pie.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-17-09, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying riding so much. Love how the Pure's look this year. You might consider adding a mirror to your handlebars for an extra feeling of security. I have a Mirracycle that is highly adjustable and useful.
Old 06-27-09, 08:32 AM
Biking Again at 50+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, they have been very helpful. I did add a end of handle bar mirror and it does add a lot of security being able to glance at it without having to turn my head around and lose sight of the road ahead of me.

I'm still riding my Trek Pure Sport about 3 times a week around the neighborhood averaging 6 miles a ride in 40 minutes time. I've lost 7 pounds in this time and I hope to improve those weight lost numbers as the summer goes by. My goal is to lose another 10 pounds by the end of August. I addition to bike riding I've cut back on the fatty foods and lowered my daily caffeine intake.

Progress is progress and I hope to continue to ride more and lose weight.

Thanks!