Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Natchez Trace?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Natchez Trace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 11:14 AM

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natchez Trace?

Has anyone here ridden the Natchez Trace that runs diagonal NE to SW across Mississippi?

Did you camp or stay at inns along the way?

How was the ride?

Was traffic an issue?
Old 04-19-09, 11:46 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Here is a report on a recent cycling event held on the Trace.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/530629-natchez-trace-century-ride-pics.html
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-19-09, 12:34 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got to ride it last year from Nashville. My wife and I took a mini-vacation at Easter Break. I only had time to ride 50 miles form the Northern most point South, then turn around and ride back to the start. From my ride it is a ride I'd love to do more of. Sweeping turns, hills with highway grades and little to no traffic.
Old 04-19-09, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I may ride it later this year with some relatives. Last October I rode on the Long Leaf Trace https://www.mylongleaftrace.com/), a really nice rails/trails mup. I also rode in the Greenwood area. Let us know how your trip goes. I'd recommend a Sept./Oct. time frame.
Old 04-19-09, 03:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The northern end is pretty as mentioned. Most of the rest is pretty flat and not all that interesting to me at least. I drove it on a motorcycle trip maybe 20 years ago.

We stayed at an old Antebellum B & B mansion in a small town on the Trace north of Natchez. The whole place was rented out to a bicycle tour group for the night, but they squeezed us into the deluxe room for the regular price.

The group had done the whole trace and were to wind up the next day at Natchez to tour the Mansions. One nice thing about a supported group, you have some else worrying about logistics.

Al
Old 04-19-09, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine from California and I are think of riding from the Alabama area down to Natchez some time in October of this year. The plan is that it will be he, my wife and me while his wife, who does not ride, will drive sag for us. This may be hard to beat.
Old 04-20-09, 06:26 AM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adrian,
I used a stretch of the Natchez Trace when touring and found it to be a pleasant experience. Limited traffic, low speed limits and the vehicles seemed very considerate. As Al Canoe mentioned, there isn't much on the route in terms of gas stations, businesses, houses, stop lights, etc. Just a calm, relaxed ride through peaceful countryside.
There are no inns along the way. You will have to plan to sidetrack a couple of miles when you want ammenities. For me that would be a small price to pay for the ride.
Old 04-25-09, 10:56 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Trace from Nashville to Natchez and back to Jackson. I had a great time and had no problem with traffic. We stayed at motels, hotels and Plantations off the trace.
The trace can get boring at times, but the best times were going off the trace, to our motels at night.
The barbecued pork in the area is great.
Old 04-26-09, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your comments and input. We are putting this trip together and are targeting late September to early October. Hopefully, some of the trees may be turning by that time yet it will not be to cold.