Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Weights /pain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Weights /pain

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weights /pain

HI,
In my never ending quest to improve by bicycle ridding skills , I decided to do some aggresive leg exercises on the nautilus weights at the local gym mostly reps with not to heavy weight just enough to cause a mild burning and fatigue.(IE REPS)
Now 24 hours later the weather improves and I jump on a bike and ride my usual 32 miles at a good pace not to fast but managed to kick up the heart rate. After the ride I felt really tired and my legs were very tight and fatigued and were sore. more than ever before.
I did some additional reading and I may have used up more fast twitch muscle energy than I realized and the bike ride may have been to soon...IE age/fitness level.. Love this learnin curve..
WOw that was intersting experience..
Anyone have similar cause and effect.
Doug
Old 04-22-09, 08:44 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you introduce a new strenuous activity the weakest muscles will be taxed the most. They will also be broken down the most so you will feel sore due to the damage to the muscle, connective tissues and swelling. Probably the best advice about taking on a weight lifting program is to begin the program with only 1 set at a moderate weight then over the next couple weeks add additional reps/sets and weight. Taking weight lifting sets to "failure or close to it" without a solid base will stress the body to the point that there is significant damage. A day or two of easy spinning while riding will help flush out the destroyed tissue and reduce swelling.

Next time ask the experts here at BF before you hurt yourself again.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 04-23-09 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-23-09, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I do a weight resistance program all year round. However, in the prime riding months (where my mileage triples) I back off any leg work and reduce the upper body work just a bit. If I want to do leg work that is cycling specific during the prime riding months I do short big gear hill climbs. I learned to do this much in the same manner as your experience. I remember getting off the bike one day and not really being able to walk. Then the next day in the car, my legs cramped so bad I damn near had an accident before I could get off to the side of the road. I think Allegheny Jet's comments about new strenuous activity is right on the mark.
Old 04-23-09, 09:54 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I do a weight resistance program all year round. However, in the prime riding months (where my mileage triples) I back off any leg work and reduce the upper body work just a bit. If I want to do leg work that is cycling specific during the prime riding months I do short big gear hill climbs. I learned to do this much in the same manner as your experience. I remember getting off the bike one day and not really being able to walk. Then the next day in the car, my legs cramped so bad I damn near had an accident before I could get off to the side of the road. I think Allegheny Jet's comments about new strenuous activity is right on the mark.
This sounds similar to my game plan. My year round mileage does not vary too much. So, in the fall, we go into power building which is weight training and slower cadence cycling. 10 sets of 10 on the weight followed up immediately by low cadence intervals on the trainer. Add to that some big ring hill climbs. However, that effort does not provide benefit until May / June the next year.

The power training in the fall ultimately results in less functional power and slower times on the road i.e. you are so tired from the power work you cannot generate much speed. We then stop leg weight training and focus on endurance and speed work turning functional strength into functional power. The goal is to peak for key events. I do year round upper body and core work.

IMHO, weight lifting on your legs all year long is fine but you have to manage your total energy production and get adequate rest and recovery. And there is a lag from when you increase functional strength to when it becomes power. The pure sprinters at the track do heavy weights on their legs all year round. However, that is an integral part of the total workout.

I did a sprint tournament a couple of week ago at the track. I have been working out at the track and practicing sprints. After doing six sprint races, the next day my legs were more sore than they have been in years. So one can be well conditioned and if you take yourself to a place you have not been before, you get soreness.
Old 04-24-09, 05:41 PM

Bikes: kestrel Talon sl,fuji track,leader 735 TT, fuji cross pro amoung others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must remember that you get stronger on you recovery days. So if you did a weight workout and then rode the next day your body has not had time to recover. It would not surprise me that you felt
week 24 hours later. Recovery is as important to your development as training days.
Old 04-24-09, 07:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I weight train, swim and ride (and sometimes walk) all in the same day, with no untoward effects that I have discovered. Been doing stuff like this for years.

However, my body is used to it, which makes a great deal of difference. I have a really hard time finding exercises that really push my muscles. I no longer get a "burn" from much of anything, even when I switch exercises to something new for the same muscle/muscle group. I always lift to "failure."

However, the most important thing in resistance exercises is the warm up. You can kill yourself - well, not really - by going at a heavy (for you) weight without [warming up on a lighter weight.

For example, today, after 45 minutes os hard (for me) swimming, I used a new machine to me - sort of a vertical, sitting type of bench press, but on a machine.

I started at about 60 pounds, did a few very easy reps, built up gradually to 200 pounds, which I did to failure. However, I STILL get no "burn" etc.

Then I did full-body dips. Starting with no weight-belt, I warmed up on 12. Then with 25 extra lbs, I did 14, followed by 20 pushups, then with 45 pounds, followed again by 20 pushups. STILL no burn or any noticeable after effect!!

But, the real important thing is the warm-up.
Old 04-27-09, 04:03 AM

Bikes: Scwinn S-750 Elec. Scooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keyword:heart rate

I started excersiseing useing weights and nutrition..
Today I just add more miles and a quicker pace..
Of course I'm older than when I started out--
But I have noticed that "stiffness" is present..
But alot of strength also..
===
I would then suggest that the rise in a heart rate..does cause some property in the tissue to change--
In our very excellent health--our Hearts come to a normal ryhthm...very quickly after huge excersion..
This is the stiffness..its actually a sign of excellent health..
But take some heed..
I utilize warmth..and naps..and fresh air..like Pre-workout nutrition/..I'm there..before I get there..!!

Last edited by 24X18; 04-27-09 at 04:04 AM. Reason: SP
Old 04-27-09, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IF you are going to weight train get some expert advise from a personal trainer or someone who knows what they are doing and can demonstrate proper form, etc. Reading a few issues of Muscle and Fitness wouldn't hurt either. (Don't have to be, or want to be, a freak to benefit from the articles on diet and exercise.

Weight train the whole body, not just a part of it. Balance is the key and stressing one set of muscles over others creates imbalances that can really, really hurt you. Again, not substituted for in person coaching to get you started.

It takes a long while of proper nutrition and exercise to get the benefits of weight training. It is not a quick fix kind of thing. Figure on at least a year from the start to the time you get significant benefit. But, if you read the mags and talk to the coaches you will soon discover that.

Welcome aboard! I found my free weight training to be invaluable both for life and everything I do.
Old 04-27-09, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I haven't done any weights yet, but I've been advised to. RoadBikeRider.com offers an Ebook on weight training for cyclists, starting at the beginning.

I like the suggestion on reading some of Muscles and Fitness. I love magazines!

Road Fan
Old 04-27-09, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I first started weight training a very few years ago I saw LOTS of people come to the gym with the idea they would work on one specific muscle group. Pain and long term adverse consequences resulted. Some wouldn't be patient and tried to lift too much too soon. More pain and injury.

I started by having a friend show me how to lift. Then I bought the Gold's Gym book. I established a good cohesive program. It took just about a year and I was able to do what I wanted. Along the way I took advise from local experts. From everything I know I'm pretty typical and maybe a bit fast for a person of my age.

Now that I'm cycling I stepping up reps and reducing weight. But you'll see that when you do your homework.