Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My first commute

Old 04-24-09, 08:47 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first commute

I only have a month or so left on this contract gig, but with the weather turning nice & wanting to ameliorate the effects of sitting on my butt all day staring at a screen (like now), I am trying a partial commute: ~42 miles by car, last 5 miles by bike (each way). It's a fairly hilly (by SE Mich standards) ride. Northville area*, for fellow Motowners.

A recent club ride really showed how flabby I've gotten: a 30 mile ride that would normally have been just invigorating left me cramping and barely able to pedal the last few miles. A kindly fellow rider came back to SAG me about a mile and a half from the end. Oh, the shame! The wages of sloth!

My "excuse" this winter was that after the long commute I just couldn't motivate myself to hit the trainer after dinner. Caught up to me big time.

So...a tiny bit less exhaust in the atmosphere, some more calories burnt, hopefully a few inches off the waistline eventually, recover earlier hard-won CP capacity, and a reason to use the old Trek 920 beater.

Came into work panting but alive. It can only get better.

---

*Specifically, from Northville Downs to an office park off Beck & M-14
Old 04-26-09, 11:30 AM
Nighteyez

Bikes: Mongoose XR-75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice first commute. I am sure the more you commute the better you will feel. I let the bus take me to work, adn then ride the bike home. I am keeping track of the amount of time it takes me to get home. So far my best time is 20 minutes. But I have not been able to duplicate that yet. Maybe I had a tail wind