Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling gloves...or Exercise gloves?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-24-09, 08:48 PM
referee54

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have tried to find gloves that fit my hands comfortably---I played LB in college (alright,that was quite some time ago!) and I do not have hands---I have HAMS... Anyway, I have ended up buying "Harbinger" workout gloves as they tend to be more comfrotable and actually fit. Can anybody tell me if I can buy huge cycling gloves (XL's are too small!) ---what the difference is--(the Harbingers aren't all that bad) or if I am stuck with them? I have gone to the LBS as well as the local Performance Bike shop---the ones they had were terribly restricting.

Thanks,

Tim C.

Last edited by referee54; 04-24-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-24-09, 08:56 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Check the Specialized website to see if they make the BG cycling glove in XL. They are the best gloves I've seen yet. Good for 100-mile rides. I'm just not sure if the make a really large size or not. Good luck.
Old 04-24-09, 09:04 PM
referee54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
Check the Specialized website to see if they make the BG cycling glove in XL. They are the best gloves I've seen yet. Good for 100-mile rides. I'm just not sure if the make a really large size or not. Good luck.
Thanks---I am gong to keep looking---in the mean time, I guess it is these workout gloves...

TSC
Old 04-25-09, 05:27 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the primary purpose of short fingered cycling gloves is to protect one's hand in the event of a fall. I perfer my padding in my handlebar tape. So, from my perspective if the work gloves are thick enough to provide that protection, I'd use them. Oh, yeah there is another reason for the short fingered clcying gloves - when people ask about the sun tan lines on your fingers, you can launch into endless talking about the joys and benefits of cycling.
Old 04-25-09, 06:19 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
For me the primary purpose of short fingered cycling gloves is to protect one's hand in the event of a fall. I perfer my padding in my handlebar tape. So, from my perspective if the work gloves are thick enough to provide that protection, I'd use them. Oh, yeah there is another reason for the short fingered clcying gloves - when people ask about the sun tan lines on your fingers, you can launch into endless talking about the joys and benefits of cycling.
+ 1

As someone with very large hands and a LOT of natural cushioning, I second that any glove that fits is fine. You may find the gel/whatever in a bicycle glove to cause you discomfort. I do.
Old 04-25-09, 09:59 AM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Try your local larger hardware store, too (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). They have some inexpensive work gloves with synt-leather palms and mesh backs that make great cycling gloves. They are sized bigger (I'd have to buy XL at the LBS, but buy M at Home Depot), and they are far cheaper than what's in my LBSs. I bought a few full-fingered pairs for riding here in the mild Southern Calif winters. They also sell a few styles that are fingerless (more dexterity to allow folks to pick up nails, screws, etc).

Old 04-25-09, 10:28 AM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exercise gloves are ok for biking but the little patch of terry on bike gloves is nice for wiping your brow.
Old 04-25-09, 10:40 AM
referee54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are similar to what I am wearing now---padded, but not cycling specific.
Old 04-25-09, 10:56 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jedde View Post
Exercise gloves are ok for biking but the little patch of terry on bike gloves is nice for wiping your nose.
Fixed.

I like bike gloves, but in the winter I have used a variety of gloves - waterproof outdoor gloves, Ironclad brand work gloves, etc. I particularly like a pair of ultra-thin wool glove liners I bought in January - can put them on under gloves on cold mornings and take them off as it warms up.

I guess the point is you don't have to wear "bicycle" gloves.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 04-25-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-25-09, 11:04 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using a fleece glove this winter and like these more than cycling gloves.

Ski gloves were not useful, they became soaked with sweat.

A pair of suede dress gloves with a natural wool on the inside were also very good, as warm as ski gloves but they breathed well and always remained dry.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-25-09 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 11:32 AM
Sci-Fi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use/buy whatever works/fits for you. One guy I see almost everyday uses fingerless truckers gloves because his hands are that big. Has some padding, but not excessive or too thin. Price is a lot cheaper too...$6 if I remember right and it's all leather. Motorcycle gloves are another alternative and there are plenty of styles/materials at the local HD dealer.
Old 04-26-09, 07:23 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, there would likely be little difference. I've always suffered from numbness on my right hand especially while road biking. I've used all sorts of padding designs over the years, but the last three I've been using Fox gloves which essentially have no padding. They do as well as any design I've ever used.

For road, I added a little additional padding to the bars. For mountain, I don't need padding as one doesn't stay in one position very long.

Al