Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who gets migraines?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who gets migraines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who gets migraines?

Okay, here's what occurred to me this morning while I was laid low with a migraine: I almost always get them on the weekend. It occurred to me because I was missing out on working in the garden and I had looked forward to it all week, and then I realized that I can't recall ever missing a minute of work because of a migraine.

It's not the red wine I had last night, because I have red wine on weeknights, too.

It's probably not the extra cup of tea on the weekend mornings, since I often wake up with the migraine.

Maybe there is some subtle shift in my sleep pattern that is triggering them?

Anyone else have the "weekend migraine" phenomenon? Any ideas? I really hate to lose five or six hours of play time to this...
Old 04-26-09, 12:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Do you "sleep in" on weekends? That might trigger them.
Old 04-26-09, 12:20 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have the weekend Migraine- but have to be carefull on Mondays as I do get a bit heady in the late afternoons. It often turns into a Migraine in the evening. Weekends are full of gardening- riding and sitting for a couple of hours in front of the TV watching the recordings of Cycling- F1 or Moto GP. Never find time to watch them live.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-26-09, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Do you "sleep in" on weekends? That might trigger them.
No, I get up between 4 and 5, usually. I am wondering if I go to bed a little later, though. More to do on Friday and Saturday nights. Maybe that's what is throwing me off a bit...I should start making notes, I guess.
Old 04-26-09, 01:40 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Do you drink a lot of coffee, or have a large caffeine intake during the week? And do you cut back on these items during the weekend?

East Hill
Old 04-26-09, 02:10 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know about migraines but caffeine tends to help headaches. Dehydration can also cause headaches.
Old 04-26-09, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
Do you drink a lot of coffee, or have a large caffeine intake during the week? And do you cut back on these items during the weekend?

East Hill

+1

Make sure your caffeine intake on weekend mornings is similar to what you do during the week.
Old 04-26-09, 02:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill

East Hill
Hmmm, I was going to say it was the same on weekends--but then I remembered that I don't have my usual afternoon iced tea on Saturdays and Sundays...

Another possibility to track.
Old 04-26-09, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went almost 4 months getting a migraine every Sat morning. Once I started getting up exactly the same time as the rest of the week and eating right away they stopped.

Also, do you do or eat anything different on Friday evenings?

Now if I could find a way not to get Migraines after strenuous bike rides.
Old 04-26-09, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not get migraines; but occasionally I do get "cluster headaches." They are similar, though---I found that sleep patterns had a great deal to do with getting them. If slept in too much or did not get enough sleep, I could feel one coming on. I try to keep my sleep pattern the same throughout the entire week---going to bed at the same time, getting up at the same time, etc.

If I get one, I take large ammounts of caffeine, a really hot shower, and some sudafed...then I hope for the best.

Tim C.
Old 04-26-09, 07:16 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I get'em once in a blue moon, now. They're usually triggered by a combination of fatigue and dehydration.

My favorite treatment is two or three ibuprofens, a tall glass of water, a small cup of coffee, and a dark quiet place to lie down.
Old 04-26-09, 08:06 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
PrairieDog, you might want to keep a 'migraine diary' to be able to see the patterns a bit more easily.

I have so many triggers that it took me almost twenty years to figure them all out--and every once in a while I get one which is a complete mystery .

Fortunately, Imitrex has worked extremely well ever since I started taking it in 1993.

East Hill
Old 04-26-09, 10:29 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had weird migraines for a couple of years, stopped five years ago as suddenly as they started. No one has ever been able to explain why they started or why they stopped. I had the aura long before the headaches began, and was misdiagnosed as suffering from trans ischemic attacks. By the time I got in to see a competent neurologist, they hadn't happened for nearly two weeks, but I went on a course of Topomax anyway. Have you tried that?
I wish you the best of luck, those things are awful!
Old 04-27-09, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I don't get the headaches but often get the aura - those jagged lines with all the colors, I call 'em "church windows" or "colored glass". I usually feel kind of weird and clammy when it happens. It lasts about an hour or less.
Old 04-27-09, 04:01 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had them all my life, as long as I can remember.
My doc prescribed amlodipine 5mg, which is a low dosage of a blood pressure med. I take it every day, and it has dramatically reduced the frequency and the severity of my migraines. And I have no side effects from the med.
Old 04-27-09, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by PrairieDog
Anyone else have the "weekend migraine" phenomenon? Any ideas? I really hate to lose five or six hours of play time to this...
My dad used to - every other Sunday.

He was a work-a-holic 12 to 15 hour days the other 6 days of the week. Leads me to believe there's a significant psychological element.
Old 04-27-09, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My dad used to - every other Sunday.

He was a work-a-holic 12 to 15 hour days the other 6 days of the week. Leads me to believe there's a significant psychological element.
I used to get them every saturday when I was under a lot of stress during the week -- the immediate trigger was not the stress, it was relaxing from the stress.

I get them at other times, too. I tried beta blockers (blood pressure med), which had little effect on migraines, but big side effects; and ergotamine, which helped a little, sometimes, and sometimes just made me feel sicker. Imitrex is a miracle.
Old 04-27-09, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Roubaix, Pinarello Opera, Giant NRS, Schwinn Corvette, Fuji S18, Schwinn StingRay, Santana Arriva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get migraines....have had many on Saturday mornings, but my current pattern is to get them on Monday mornings. My triggers are changes in my sleep pattern and changes in my stress level....and when I get too tired. I use imitrex - it's wonderful.
Old 04-27-09, 08:24 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to get them, too, but they seem to have stopped since divorcing the spouse that smoked. I've had only one or two in the 27 years since. Don't know if it was the spouse or the cigarette smoke that was my trigger. (Actually, I avoid smoke like the plague since it clearly triggered them at times--well, I avoid him too).

I also would have them on my days off rather than work days--I think it does have something to do with dealing with stress.
Old 04-28-09, 05:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
I used to get them every saturday when I was under a lot of stress during the week -- the immediate trigger was not the stress, it was relaxing from the stress.

I get them at other times, too. I tried beta blockers (blood pressure med), which had little effect on migraines, but big side effects; and ergotamine, which helped a little, sometimes, and sometimes just made me feel sicker. Imitrex is a miracle.
Now that's interesting. It also sounds right--it might be the relaxing from the stress acting as a trigger...

I think I might be getting the same number of hours of sleep, but it is a different kind of sleep. It is much deeper and I don't generally wake up as often during the night.

I've had more of them this year than ever and I've had more stress this year than ever, so there's a clue, too. Hmmm.

My doctor has prescribed Zomig, but I haven't tried it yet. I have a general phobia about meds and it takes me a long time to decide to take them.

Last edited by PrairieDog; 04-28-09 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 06:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same problem

Neurologist told me he always had "post stress" migraines after med school exams-couldn't enjoy the celebrations with others. Varied sleep patterns affect me, as well as "post stress." My doctor prescribed a mild antihistimine, Periactin, to help me sleep deeper & open up nasal passages. MIRACLE DRUG for me. I also set my alarm so won't sleep in on weekends.
Old 04-28-09, 06:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janww
Neurologist told me he always had "post stress" migraines after med school exams-couldn't enjoy the celebrations with others. Varied sleep patterns affect me, as well as "post stress." My doctor prescribed a mild antihistimine, Periactin, to help me sleep deeper & open up nasal passages. MIRACLE DRUG for me. I also set my alarm so won't sleep in on weekends.
I'm thinking this is it. It certainly fits what happened on Sunday--lots of high-level stress all week and all the way through Saturday, when I took students on an all-day field trip. Then Sunday, after the stress is over and when I was planning on having a relaxing day in the garden, I crash.

If that's the cause (and it makes complete sense to me), maybe I can figure out a way to prevent it. I mean, after I've earned my weekends off, I don't want to lose them to a migraine.

Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions and help in attempting to solve this medical mystery.
Old 04-28-09, 11:18 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Zomig works very well. It's in the same family of drugs as Imitrex. I've used Zomig for years with no problems.
Old 04-28-09, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grinningfool
Zomig works very well. It's in the same family of drugs as Imitrex. I've used Zomig for years with no problems.
My doctor said Zomig would make me feel strange at first -- that there might be a feeling of "tightness." Do you experience that? I'm embarrassed to say that I find that worrying.
Old 04-28-09, 12:50 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure what he means by tightness. Occasionally I have experienced a very subtle lightheadedness, but not enough to cause problems. I can still drive and operate machinery safely.
I'm talking so subtle it's almost imperceptible. And really, it's worth it to get rid of the migraine pain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.