Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Wildflower (CA) Century - Report w/ Pics

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 04:28 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts

My report of my century ride is here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/535633-wildflower-one-hundred-report-w-pics.html

Last edited by icyclist; 04-28-09 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 07:43 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden Wildflower several times, excellent event with great food. This year (and maybe others) it was on the same day as the Alpine Challenge (Alpine, CA), so I rode Alpine instead.

Just a bit more climbing (7,210 is what my computer says), but fewer miles (72), while still being an excellent ride. Food at the checkpoints, not so special. Food at the finish, wonderful!

So yes, they're both great events . . . just a shame they schedule them for the same day!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-28-09, 08:21 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Wow. That's a heck of a ride report. And a bunch of good photos too!
I skipped the Wildflower this year and did a local Century (the Diablo Century in Walnut Creek) so it was nice you did such a complete job reporting!

I'm impressed you can remember so much. Every century i do become kind of a blur. And you took so many photos that are worth looking at. Good edit job! I find I'm too lazy to shoot that much. I'm either working hard and don't want to, or going to fast to think it's smart. That, and the fact I have a tough time with the camera when I wear my glove liners, so I don't shoot until I get warm.

Anyway, great job! Thanks!
Old 04-28-09, 08:40 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

>I find I'm too lazy to shoot that much. I'm either working hard and don't want to, or going to fast to think it's smart.<

My problems, too. Having the camera looped around my neck helped, as well as knowing in advance I wanted to post a report. Generally, I either like to ride or to make photographs, not both.

https://www.pbase.com/davewyman
Old 04-28-09, 08:57 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Your report is so vivid (as are the pictures) I felt as though we were there, too. We last rode this the year it rained -- '07, I think -- we passed people on the way up Honey Run and heard "Tandems aren't supposed to pass uphill!" We really enjoyed this century and hope to do it again. This report is very inspiring.
Old 04-28-09, 10:31 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I, too, have done this ridem but not since '05. Everytime we would start up a hill, it would start raining. But I had a great time. Thanks for the great report and pictures. I carry my camera around my neck, too. It's the only way to get any pictures. Here's one picture from that year, climbing up Honey Run.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 04-28-09, 10:36 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
So, you neck strap folks, doesn't your camera fling about a bunch? I carry mine in my jersey pocket, pull it out when I need it and try to get the strap on my wrist. This is not ideal. I know I'll drop it someday, and if I need to brake with the wrist strap the camera dangles awkwardly.
Old 04-28-09, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I've done the other Wildflower Century out of Creston, CA ... north of San Luis Obispo several times. I signed up this year, but had to pass to go to my sister's college graduation.
What a strange schedule two Wildflower rides on consecutive days, SLOBC Wildflower on Apr 25th then Chico's Wildflower on Apr 26th. I've had friends accidently sign up for the "wrong" Wildflower. It's a lot further from San Diego!
Old 04-28-09, 11:25 AM
Spin Meister

>So, you neck strap folks, doesn't your camera fling about a bunch?<

Good question. And making photographs, with or without a strap, is not the safest endeavor to attempt on a bike ride. To minimize the danger of fumbling the camera, I usually employ a strap that actually goes over my shoulder, and it's long enough to let me put my camera in a jersey pocket. This time the strap only went around my neck, but it was still long enough to reach the back of my jersey. No flinging about, and I knew if I dropped the camera, I could always reel it back.

Last edited by icyclist; 04-28-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 11:28 AM
Spin Meister

>What a strange schedule two Wildflower rides on consecutive days, SLOBC Wildflower on Apr 25th then Chico's Wildflower on Apr 26th. I've had friends accidently sign up for the "wrong" Wildflower. It's a lot further from San Diego!<

In 2003, my friend and I completed both centuries - I wore the Chico version on Saturday and the SLO jersey on Sunday, which sowed a lot of confusion for those riders who happened to notice the mismatch. Frankly, the drive between the two rides, 369 miles, was the most difficult part of the entire enterprise, which we dubbed the "Wildflower Double Century."

A ride report, if interested, is here:

https://www.davewyman.net/wildflowerdoublecentury.htm
Old 04-28-09, 11:29 AM
Spin Meister

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I, too, have done this ridem but not since '05. Everytime we would start up a hill, it would start raining. But I had a great time. Thanks for the great report and pictures. I carry my camera around my neck, too. It's the only way to get any pictures. Here's one picture from that year, climbing up Honey Run.

I like that photo!
Old 04-28-09, 01:00 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I've ridden Wildflower several times, excellent event with great food. This year (and maybe others) it was on the same day as the Alpine Challenge (Alpine, CA), so I rode Alpine instead.

Just a bit more climbing (7,210 is what my computer says), but fewer miles (72), while still being an excellent ride. Food at the checkpoints, not so special. Food at the finish, wonderful!

So yes, they're both great events . . . just a shame they schedule them for the same day!

Rick / OCRR
I've never done the Chico Wildflower although I've done the Creston Wildflower (out of Paso Robles) probably 20 times. Someday I hope to try the Chico one, I've heard it is beautiful but the Creston Wildflower is incredibly beautiful too and just always seems like the perfect ride (plus much closer to home). The SLOBC club does a good job.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-28-09, 01:45 PM
Spin Meister

>the Creston Wildflower is incredibly beautiful too<

It's one of my all-time favorite rides, too.
Old 04-28-09, 11:44 PM
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icyclist
I like that photo!
Thanks. I got a million of 'em.

And on the neck strap. I haven't found it to be too annoying to have my small camera around my neck. I will sometimes take it off if I know there will be some fast-paced action, but then, I'm seldom fast-paced. I will sometimes drop it down inside my jersey for short periods of time, but the strap can get tangled with my Road I.D. dog tag.
Old 04-29-09, 08:25 AM
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
And I thought of a tip late last night. The little loop on your pocket camera that holds the wrist strap may not be tough enough for a neck strap. I have broken two of those little things. I have put a screw into where the tripod would go, then attached a neck strap. I have had no problems.