Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why I'm pleased

Old 04-29-09, 05:44 PM
PrairieDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I'm pleased

Okay, here's my story. Over the past few years I've been in pretty good shape. I'm a runner from way back (ran track and cross country in college), but slacked off during my thirties and early forties. Then my DH and I had a wake-up call in the form of a near-fatal car accident. It took a year or so to recover, but once I did, I started to get back into shape.

I started with running, then transitioned to triathlons. I didn't really care for cycling--it scared me getting out on the road, and OMG, clipless pedals. But I persisted and got a little better at it. I bought a low-end, entry-level road bike for racing, and then started thinking I could get some miles in just by commuting, so I built up a Salsa Casseroll for that job.

Well, one thing led to another and one day I actually discovered that I kind of liked cycling. I worked out more and more, and last summer I was in pretty good shape for an old girl. Maybe I was even in the best shape of my life.

But then my dad's Alzheimer's got worse, and I was dealing with that while I was simultaneously working on getting tenure at the University, so things got a little stressful and I started to slack off. Then Dad died at the start of this semester and my sisters and I struggled to figure out how to care for my mother, who is really starting to succumb to her own dementia issues. On top of all of that, I've been teaching an overload this semester to cover for a colleague who went out of the country.

Anyway, it's been a long year.

So at the start of the year I quit altogether and went into survival mode. No running, cycling, swimming, or weight training. Diet all gone to hell. Just trying to make it through each day, teaching and trying to care for my mother long-distance.

About a month or so ago I started easing back into it all again. And you want to know what? Much to my surprise, I didn't lose all that much. I thought I'd be starting back at ground zero, but it's more like ground 30%. 30% is not 100%, but hey, I'll take it.

So today I ran two miles, cycled 7.5, and lifted weights. I'm paying attention to my nutrition again and I've lost 5-6 of the 10 pounds I put on. Fewer bacon cheeseburgers and more salmon...

And the best part? It occurred to me today that I really, really, really like cycling. I find myself obssessing about riding a century someday.

Baby steps are sometimes all we have, but sometimes they are enough to make us happy.

Don't know why I felt like talking about it, but it felt a little like a pie celebration is in order, or something. Like maybe I've been through a long ride of sorts and come out the other side. Just my thoughts for the day.

Last edited by PrairieDog; 04-29-09 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-29-09, 06:40 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you can do that century any time you have a spare day and the inclination.

Is riding not a great stress reliever? It took me way too many years to realize that working harder and longer and eating more did not do the trick.
Old 04-29-09, 06:43 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad's passing and I hope your mom's doing OK. Over a certain age these issues just seem to become part of the fabric of life, don't they?

I find cycling to be a wonderful outlet (my wife would probably say it's become an obsession). And it's pretty great to have an outlet that's actually good for you.

Sounds like you're doing well....best wishes.
Old 04-29-09, 07:25 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you are back riding. I missed a lot of riding through the winter due to a lot of hours at work. It is great to get back on the bike and ride. I really think besides the exercise riding just makes you feel good.
Old 04-29-09, 08:58 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to our world. Thanks for posting. We can all relate to at least part of your story.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 04-29-09, 09:07 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on your return, the discipline you have adopted, and the loss of 5-6 lbs. You deserve to be pleased. Stay with it!
Old 04-30-09, 02:19 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we have to mature enough to go back to our joys! Does that make sense? I wasn't mature to enough to enjoy the bicycle when I was 20 or 30. Now I could ride across the country and love it.
Old 04-30-09, 02:40 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not surprised that you are pleased.

Keep the attitude correct and give up the running. At our age we have to do something that is more enjoyable- so concentrate on the riding and book the place for a century late this year. It will give you something to aim for.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-30-09, 02:42 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Isn't it great when you get back on track after being derailed?
Old 04-30-09, 02:45 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
So today I ran two miles, cycled 7.5, and lifted weights. I'm paying attention to my nutrition again and I've lost 5-6 of the 10 pounds I put on. Fewer bacon cheeseburgers and more salmon...
If you can take a year off and only put on 10 pounds, you got it nailed. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-30-09, 02:57 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1...congrats on doing good...likewise sorry bout dad and mom, prayers...