Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking for info on the Sun Coast Nature Trail

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-30-09, 04:16 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My daughter and I plan to ride The Nature Coast State Trail sometime during May. The trail runs from Chiefland, FL to Trenton FL and Cross City FL. I have viewed the web site and it provides good information. My question is have any of you ridden the trail, is it worth the trip to drive from Orlando? What did you like or dislike about this trail? Is there anything off the beaten path worth seeing? (unique places, history locations) Good places to eat in either of the three towns mentioned? I have posted this on the Southeast forum board as well. Just hoping that perhaps someone from outside the SE had ridden this trail

Thanks for you input...
Jim
Old 05-01-09, 07:39 PM
stevelon

Bikes: Trek 1200 and Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't believe I've missed this one. I'd be interested in comments from others as well.
Old 05-01-09, 07:57 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I haven't ridden it either, but If you do I would like to hear what you think about it. I don't live far from it (citrus county). I ride the withlacoochee trail a lot. Have you ridden that one?
Old 05-02-09, 07:53 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey RoMad, yes I have ridden the Withlacoochee with my daughter, it is a great trail, few intersections, a great bike shop in Floral City and a great deli just across the street from the bike shop.
Old 05-02-09, 08:01 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
Hey RoMad, yes I have ridden the Withlacoochee with my daughter, it is a great trail, few intersections, a great bike shop in Floral City and a great deli just across the street from the bike shop.

The guys at the Bike Shop on the West Orange trail in Apopka offered a Weekend tour involving that trail. I'll bet you could get some info from them.
Old 05-02-09, 01:29 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Recd View Post
The guys at the Bike Shop on the West Orange trail in Apopka offered a Weekend tour involving that trail. I'll bet you could get some info from them.
Good advise Red, I am just down the road from them, perhaps I will take a ride up their this afternoon...Thanks
Old 05-02-09, 02:00 PM
jungovox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good to see some locals posting here - Was at the suncoast trail just today (looking for the mail access to 'starky park' which is supposed to have a great bike trail too)
- I have only ridden the lower part that starts in north tampa -

For those that just want to pile miles on their bike the sun coast trail is good - but essentially it runs right along the highway in the sun - not much to see - ... a bit to boring for most

I have heard good things about the Withlacoochee - and plan to check that out tonight or tomorrow -
Old 05-02-09, 03:44 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Suncoast trail is good for working on your tan and speed training. I had the feeling that I was riding next to the catch fence at the Daytona 500 with all of the cars traveling at 75 mph and only a concrete barrier between myself and them. I road from SR 54 to County Line Road and back last week. I will ride the rest of it in the near future but it is not one of my favorite trails to ride. They do have well supplied water stations all along the trail, good job on that aspect .
Old 05-02-09, 04:35 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jungovox View Post
good to see some locals posting here - Was at the suncoast trail just today (looking for the mail access to 'starky park' which is supposed to have a great bike trail too)
- I have only ridden the lower part that starts in north tampa -

For those that just want to pile miles on their bike the sun coast trail is good - but essentially it runs right along the highway in the sun - not much to see - ... a bit to boring for most

I have heard good things about the Withlacoochee - and plan to check that out tonight or tomorrow -
Was also on the Suncoast trail today. Now I understand why it was so busy with all the BFers. I usually start from Starkey Park and hop onto the Suncoast to go north. The Starkey park access is ~4.5 miles north of SR54 if you missed it today. I don't even hear the traffic anymore and just put my head down and grind away. Yesterday, did see an alligator near one of the bridges which got my attention.

The north end of the Suncoast has some nice rollers north of SR50 for some different riding. Be sure to wave next time you see me.
Old 05-04-09, 04:18 AM
jungovox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector View Post
Was also on the Suncoast trail today. Now I understand why it was so busy with all the BFers. I usually start from Starkey Park and hop onto the Suncoast to go north. The Starkey park access is ~4.5 miles north of SR54 if you missed it today. I don't even hear the traffic anymore and just put my head down and grind away. Yesterday, did see an alligator near one of the bridges which got my attention.

The north end of the Suncoast has some nice rollers north of SR50 for some different riding. Be sure to wave next time you see me.
we'll look for ya -
Saturday , the wife and I finally DID find the mail entrance to starkey 54 west 6.6 miles to starkey blvd/longleaf - then 4 miles to the main entrance - We did near 6.5 miles out (not sure how much longer it is than that) then back on their bike trail - it was beautiful -
Old 05-04-09, 05:45 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty good trail & paved with asphalt. It is worth the drive in my opinion, if this is the type riding you want to do. It is a very easy, flat ride thru some areas in the small towns, & some more remote areas. You ride over an old R.R. bridge that crosses the Suwannee River that is a nice view. [ except it is flooded right now ]. Good scenery, maybe a deer , eagle, or other critters will be seen. Pig out in downtown Chiefland at " Bubba Q's . That is one " Unique Place !!!"
Another great place to visit & ride is just S. of Gainesville. Take a camera !!
http://www.floridastateparks.org/paynesprairie/

Last edited by Esteban32696; 05-04-09 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 08:12 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Esteban32696;8850111]Pretty good trail & paved with asphalt. It is worth the drive in my opinion, if this is the type riding you want to do. It is a very easy, flat ride thru some areas in the small towns, & some more remote areas. You ride over an old R.R. bridge that crosses the Suwannee River that is a nice view. [ except it is flooded right now ]. Good scenery, maybe a deer , eagle, or other critters will be seen. Pig out in downtown Chiefland at " Bubba Q's . That is one " Unique Place !!!"
Another great place to visit & ride is just S. of Gainesville. Take a camera !!

Thanks for the input, this seems to fit my riding style to a T.
Old 05-04-09, 03:14 PM
Esteban32696

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to add the link to the park just S. of Gainesville. Here it is. Nice biking & walking trails.
Old 05-04-09, 06:04 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban32696 View Post
I forgot to add the link to the park just S. of Gainesville. Here it is. Nice biking & walking trails.
Paynesprairie looks like a great park. I'll give my thoughts as soon as I can get up their to ride.
Old 05-05-09, 07:30 AM
Esteban32696

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paynes Prarie trails have been great this Spring. There are biking & hiking trails. The hiking [ easy, but hot , so take water ] has been a showplace for Eagles, gators, bison, wild horses, etc., this year. I would suggest leaving pets at home, though. Camping is available at the park.