Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A weird sort of PR I guess

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 04:10 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Today is Kentucky Oaks Day. While the Derby draws the glameratzi and the corporate box holders, the Oaks is the day when the locals flock to Churchill Downs or related Oaks parties. Many businesses close down or run with skeleton crews; even the public schools declare it a legal holiday.

My wife and daughter had plans for the entire day, so I had a 7 hour chunk of time with which I was free to do as I pleased. I chose to attempt a 50 miler, the "Buffalo Crossing Run" from Long Run Park to Buffalo Crossing (and back), a buffalo farm and restaurant.

The day was not very enticing. It was overcast and the forecast called for thunderstorms throughout the day.

The route was worth the effort. After about 10 miles I ended up in remote 1 1/2 lane tree-lined country roads, with red-winged black birds chirping and very few dogs out to ruin the experience. I only encountered one Cujo. He provided an opportunity to get in some sprint practice, not that I really wanted it.

Unfortunately Buffalo Crossing had been closed about a year aqo, so when I rode into the parking lot I carrying only 200 calories worth of ClifShots to sustain me. By the end of my ride I was very disappointed that I was not bonking, a sad testamony to my massive glycogen stores.

50 miles is my second longest ride ever, but it wasn't my PR. However, what was weird is that I didn't see a single cyclist anywhere the entire trip: no aerobar-clad Adonises hollering "On your left" as they blew by me, not even a kid in his driveway riding his tricycle. No one. It was strangely unnerving.

I would have taken pictures but the lighting was horrible and it was all generic beautiful country roads anyway.

And that is how I spent my day.
Old 05-01-09, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you had a good ride. Good mileage and a day well spent.

The wind in these parts finally let up a little bit, just to make room for an entire week of rain! Currently it's precipitating like a domesticated ungulate urinating on a planar geological formation. There were reports of a tornado a little southeast of here. Weekend promises to be no better. I ordered a few bike tools last weekend. If the USPS delivers, perhaps I'll do some bike maintenance.
Old 05-01-09, 06:48 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Well...I am not sure what the PR was. However, 50 miles are always tough so. And it is always good to see others having results that they think are meaningful.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-02-09 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-01-09, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50 miles is the outer limit of my endurance without a food break. I can do 50 without eating, but any farther and I'm a wreck. If I'm planning to go 50 or more, I stop and eat an energy bar at 20, and then every 15-20 thereafter.

Sounds like a great ride you had.
Old 05-02-09, 12:06 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
The PR was "longest ride without seeing so much as one other cyclist".

It will be interesting to see how quickly I recover from this. My previous long ride this year was 40 miles, and that was a group ride, the greater part of which was spent shamelessly wheel-sucking. Today I was truly on my own.

I was also planning on a four hour trip, but as there was nothing much to do at Buffalo Crossing, my total time was 3:38, not too shabby for an old goat on a bike with riser stems.
Old 05-02-09, 12:28 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Congrats on the PR and the ride. I love the solitude cycling provides, and I love the long distances that clear my head. I've never been to Louisville but am an Oaks/Derby fan. Sounds like you had the ride you needed.

Report back on how you feel the next day and the day after; my guess is that you're in better shape than you think.
Old 05-02-09, 05:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WL...congrats! a few more miles and you could have had your age covered too!
That is weird that no other cyclists were spotted, maybe the weather was a factor?
Old 05-02-09, 06:41 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Didn't know Buffalo Crossing had closed. Always enjoyed it whenever we used to go there (motorized-never rode the bikes there!) Congrats on the 50 miles, and I'm sure you enjoyed the ride. Lots of good roads and scenery in that area.
Old 05-02-09, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Good ride. I seldom see other riders on my rides. Of course if I rode more often on weekends that may not be the case.
Old 05-02-09, 03:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have done rides this last winter when not one single cyclist has been seen.

But you can always tell if it is a good day- or summer is about to arrive. Cyclists all over the place- normally coming the other way till you get to a hill. Then they all seem to be passing me at about twice the speed that I am going at.

Perhaps the other cyclists knew something about that day that you did not

Or perhaps they knew that Buffalo Croosing was closed and forgot to tell you.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-02-09, 05:46 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sounds like a good ride. I did 50 today and bonked for you. Report coming later.
Old 05-02-09, 07:43 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Wow!

I hate the run-up to the Derby so today I took a long nap, cleaned out my garage, and saw a dreadful chick-flick with my daughter.

Then I came home and watched the DVR of the Derby. Just now.

I am slack-jawed. When the horses took the first turn I said, "Why do they even let slackers like that into this race?" and then he turns around and explodes like a rocket.

Never seen anything like that in the Derby. Way cool.

Anyway, I've had nothing today that a two hour nap and a half a container of Bag Balm couldn't take care of.

What a Derby.

Now if I could only win a crit or something.....