Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Back Again (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/537048-back-again.html)

cyclinfool 05-01-09 05:46 PM

Back Again

Hi all - in scanning the threads most of the regulars are still around.
Well - I am coming back again for yet another season.
Skiing this past winter in NY was awesome. There were times before xmas I was looking around in my pockets for my plane ticket for I would have sworn I was in the Rockies - one unforgettable moment was a full over the head powder shot in the Adirondacks - had me looking for my snorkle.

Anyway - it's good to be back on the bike, although even with all the skiing I still picked up 20 lbs. So it's time again to give up the wine & beer and get back into training mode.

Hope you all have been well and can put up with me for another summer...

cranky old dude 05-01-09 05:51 PM

Welcome back stranger. Long time no hear!

Kurt Erlenbach 05-01-09 05:53 PM

The number of calories in wine and beer is outrageous. No matter how good for you red wine may be, I don't think it's worth the calories. It's way too easy to go overboard.

Louis 05-01-09 06:16 PM

Always glad to welcome you back for another season, cyclinfool.:beer:

DnvrFox 05-01-09 06:19 PM

If you were skiing at resorts, as I recall, all the skiing is downhill. However, if you were doing cross-country, one would have to really embibe a lot of wine and beer to gain 20 lbs!!

Welcome back.

We have about the same questions and mostly the same answers. Every now and then a troll or two drops by, just to enliven the place and tell us how much they hate the 50+ forum - then I always wonder - why do they come here to post if they hate the place so much?

Masochism?

Hermes 05-01-09 06:42 PM

Welcome back. We can always use more hardcore cycling commentary and mischief.:thumb:

cyclinfool 05-01-09 06:58 PM

Dnvr - I went into a funk in Oct when the markets crashed, I saw my retirement go slipping away...
Each month through March it just got worse. I skiied alot, I drank a lot, I ate a lot and I didn't loose my job (thank God!) 20lbs comes quickly at my age. On the plus side - my research work has never had more impact than of late, that part of my life is at the top of it's form. The other bright spot is that my 26 YO daughter will finally (and I MEAN finally) graduate from college :beer: I only hope she gets a job!

I got back on the bike in mid March (the snow turned rotten here) and I am already pushing my lard ass up the big hills. Speed is off about 2 mph from the Aug peak of last year which is great for this time of year but somehow I just don't have the killer instinct in me this season. I think I will do all the rides I did last year and more - I may just finish with the "smell the flowers" crowd...

BengeBoy 05-02-09 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 8838075)
Hi all - in scanning the threads most of the regulars are still around.

The irregulars are still here, too. I think we outnumber the regulars.

bcoppola 05-02-09 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8838248)
...Every now and then a troll or two drops by, just to enliven the place and tell us how much they hate the 50+ forum - then I always wonder - why do they come here to post if they hate the place so much?...

Yeah, who want to bother with a bunch of balding, overweight, yammering, old and in the way fools like the pitiful assortment of senescent losers, chumps, and geezers here? :)

Welcome back!

DnvrFox 05-02-09 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 8840515)
The irregulars are still here, too. I think we outnumber the regulars.

Err!!

I would greatly appreciate not discussing regularity and irregularity on a public forum, thank you very much!

cyclinfool 05-02-09 04:14 PM

Thanks all - will try to keep the pithy quality of the commentary up - heck,it's the only thing I can keep up these days....

Tom Bombadil 05-02-09 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 8840590)
Err!!

I would greatly appreciate not discussing regularity and irregularity on a public forum, thank you very much!

Thank goodness.

As soon as I read Bengeboy's post, I feared a DnvrFox poll would be forthcoming.

Tom Bombadil 05-02-09 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 8842202)
Thanks all - will try to keep the pithy quality of the commentary up - heck,it's the only thing I can keep up these days....

This comment too, could lead to a poll.

DnvrFox 05-02-09 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 8843168)
Thank goodness.

As soon as I read Bengeboy's post, I feared a DnvrFox poll would be forthcoming.

Standing by. Just give the word!

kenkayak 05-04-09 04:02 PM

HI cyclinfool //skiing ;you brought a memory flash/when Linda[WIFE] and I took ski weekends too Saddleback in Maine/stayed at the hotel in Rangley[huge fireplace] we showed up in a 57 mga roadster[wish I had that car] real high rollers:crash:NOW I like to c.c ski on the sheepscot and eastern river on the ice once in a while.happy single track from an other fool./Kenneth //glad to be bach to the forums.

Digital Gee 05-04-09 04:40 PM

New avatar?

Many of us regulars and irregulars got ours stolen and discarded like an an old armchair. Be careful out there.

dcvelo 05-04-09 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 8838111)
The number of calories in wine and beer is outrageous. No matter how good for you red wine may be, I don't think it's worth the calories. It's way too easy to go overboard.

It's way too much fun to go overboard. That would be the real problem...