Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pancake Benefit Ride- Wabash Trace Trail

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pancake Benefit Ride- Wabash Trace Trail

Old 05-02-09, 11:39 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures: Pancake Benefit Ride- Wabash Trace Trail

Here are a few shots of today's glorious ride on the Wabash Trace Trail from Council Bluffs to Mineola, Iowa (about 10 miles one way). I got out the old Schwinn hybrid for the ride and had an absolute blast on it while test riding one of the new Brooks Imperials in my collection. The ride was sponsored by a friends of the trail group, Wabash Angels, and the Mineola Fire Dept. to help raise funds for a Gator-type vehicle to help the FD maintain and perform rescue/assistance operations on the trail. Included are a couple of shots of the locally famous "Margaritaville" rest stop on the trail... a very popular party site on the well-known Thursday evening "Taco Ride" events.

Street scenes are of downtown Mineola - a little town with a great sense of humor. Wish I had taken more pics of the trail itself though... it is really nice... almost totally tree-lined.

Here also is a link to the full set of ride photos taken today: http://sports.webshots.com/album/571664780nXWPAu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5323.jpg (99.4 KB, 9 views)
IMG_5326.jpg (99.1 KB, 9 views)
IMG_5327.jpg (99.7 KB, 12 views)
IMG_5328.jpg (101.1 KB, 14 views)
IMG_5337.jpg (99.3 KB, 11 views)
IMG_5340.jpg (87.8 KB, 9 views)
IMG_5345.jpg (99.4 KB, 7 views)
IMG_5347.jpg (91.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 05-02-09 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Trying to Change Title
Old 05-02-09, 02:36 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks as though you had a good ride with good weather- but I am worried about that last picture of the snack.

Looks like Scrambed egg and bacon- which I often have on my rides- but with Pancakes?

I think some re-education for the Chef might be in order here

That schwinn looks interesting though- More details required.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-02-09, 03:30 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Looks as though you had a good ride with good weather- but I am worried about that last picture of the snack.

Looks like Scrambed egg and bacon- which I often have on my rides- but with Pancakes?

That schwinn looks interesting though- More details required.
She's a totally stock (except saddle and rack) 1990 hybrid "Crosscut", made of steel and dark blue. Tripple chainring and seven-speed freewheel. 700x35s. I had really almost forgotten what a good ride she gives, as I am 35 pounds lighter and a much stronger rider than when I rode her last. I just do not care for the flat bars and twist shifters, though they were fine for today's 20 miles out of the wind. Am seriously thinking of converting her to road bars/brifters and maybe nine speed drivetrain to make a great little touring/gravel trail bike. If you see other possibilities, I am all ears.

As to the menu, are you suggesting pie as a substitute for pancakes? Or perhaps grits?
Old 06-05-09, 12:34 PM
JT52

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Wabash Trace trail from the other direction, starting in Shenandoah and riding north to Malvern. Very nice trail! Unfortunately, I only did the one trip.

I'm sure you've probably done the Steamboat Trace trail many times - one of my favorites when I lived near Lincoln. I'd ride from Nebraska City down to Brownville and pick up at bottle of wine at the Whiskey Creek winery for my girlfriend. Great area...

Thanks for the post and pics!
Old 06-06-09, 08:17 AM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a common combination here in the states, although I prefer my eggs over easy with the pancakes!