Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Veterans rally- and a bike ride to see it.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 01:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Just a short ride today and down for a coffee and Cake before I went along to see the event.

I know it is only 10 miles to the cafe- but decided to push it today. Didn't help much as a strong headwind accompanied me- but I had decided to get Boreas out for a ride. Been riding the TCR over the winter but the sun was out- it wasn't raining and I felt like a change of bike. It still works and is still comfortable. Now this is set up with the bars 3" lower than the saddle and has a longer top tube than the TCR. No problems on fit or comfort- but just getting on that saddle and grabbing the bars and A bit of an edge gets into my riding. It just seems to make my legs work faster and my lungs don't gett too stressed. No idea about HR though as I was 2 miles into the ride before I realised the monitor wasn't working. Could have been that the chest strap was still at home

So down to the cafe and met Martyn and Mike. Martyn was out for his first serious ride on his new Terrago and its fine. Forks don't work but we knew that would be a problem. At 250 lbs- he needs a stronger better fork than a cra**y Suntour. Now on that cake- I had a problem. Summer is here and the only PIE was apple- and I had homemade waiting at my daughters so I will just give you the assortment I had to choose from. Had the Lemon Cheesecake and it was pretty good. Should have had the Belgian Chocolate Torte though- but did not see it till too late.

Then it was onto the EVENT I had come to see. I'll leave the pics to explain themselves but Some of you may be able to put names to the vehicles. I know the car is a Buick as it is written on the Spare wheel cover- but the Trucks are Not my Forte. Now British Army trucks and I would be better.

Couple of hours spent Gawping at the trucks- but Just thought you might to see how well some of the vehicles are preserved over here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PIES.jpg (69.4 KB, 7 views)
cheesecake.jpg (45.2 KB, 8 views)
terago.jpg (104.7 KB, 9 views)
aemy truck.jpg (81.5 KB, 10 views)
army truck.jpg (105.5 KB, 11 views)
Buick.jpg (91.6 KB, 11 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 05-03-09, 02:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So a few more photo's to let you see why I went. You name the type of vehicle and it was there but I tried to concentrate on the more "Rare" type of vehicle for you. And as Most of you would not understand the finer points of the Ford Prefects- or Jowett Javelins- I tried to pick out some cars you would recognise. Not too many American cars this year But these did catch my eye. The AC was trying to get entry to the show but I think it was turned down.

The bottom 3 and Gosdens are a local Removal company and this is one of their Pre-WWll trucks.

And whilst you may have had your Pontiacs- Studebakers or Cadilacs- We had our Austin 7's. Lot of forms over the years but the red one just caught my attention.
Attached Images
MERCURY.jpg (73.5 KB, 5 views)
Mercury2.jpg (89.9 KB, 6 views)
US FORD.jpg (100.8 KB, 5 views)
MYTAXI2.jpg (76.0 KB, 5 views)
NYtaxidesc.jpg (72.9 KB, 6 views)