Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rode my age trip report

Old 05-03-09, 08:28 AM
grayjoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rode my age trip report

Got the idea to ride my age this year from a variety of posts on this forum. I turned 57 in late March but could not ride on my birthday because I was out of the country (Grenada). Last Sunday morning I loaded up the old Trek 400 and drove up to Piedmont, Alabama to the Chief Ladiga trail. I knew about the trail but had never ridden it. Man, what a great trail. The Chief Ladiga starts just outside of Anniston, Alabama and runs to the Alabama/Georgia state line. At the state line it continues as the Silver Comet trail on to Atlanta. Somewhere around 100 miles of paved bike trail. The entire trail (except around Cedartown, GA) is built on an old railroad bed that once ran from Atlanta to Birmingham. Started out around 11:30 am and finished around 5:30 pm. The computer on my bike said it took me 4 hrs and 12 minutes of rolling time to cover the 57 miles. Took numerous breaks. It is a great place to do this sort of ride because is it relatively flat. The "hills" are minimal and slowly climb. The largest "climb" in the whole part that I did was from the Cleburne County line to the Georgia state line. Over that 9 mile section the trail climbs 250 ft. Absolutely brutal . I rode from Piedmont, AL to past Cedartown, GA and back for my 57 miles. What a great day. The trail is well maintained and the countryside the trail runs through is very nice. I highly recommend the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet trails to the members of this forum. Just a great cycling resource. If you are not accustomed to the summers of the deep south (96 F with 90 percent humidity) I suggest you come in the fall, winter and spring. If you come on a Saturday in the fall you will probably have the trail too yourself because all of us natives will be at a college football stadium the best of which is in Auburn, Alabama.

Grayjoe
Old 05-03-09, 09:47 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Congeats on the age ride, good job!!! I just did mine last weekend although it was 6 months past/before my b-day. I did the added mile to cover the mistake.
Sounds like you had a good time.
Old 05-03-09, 06:07 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Gongrats on the birthday ride.

I rode from Rockmart, Ga. to Anniston Al. with my son a couple of years ago on those trails. A nice ride and a great experience. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=351929 photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...7602336662645/
That section not on the railway bed between Cedartown and Rockmart is surprisingly hilly compared to the flat or mild grade nature of the rest of the trails, especially at the eastern end. Piedmont was a nice section. I like the way the trail runs right through the middle of the town. That is where we got off-trail to look around for some food.
Old 05-03-09, 07:09 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on riding your age and it looks like a great trail. I told my wife that looks like a good place to stop on vacation and ride a little. It should be a little cooler there in July than it will be here.
Old 05-03-09, 07:37 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
It should be a little cooler there in July than it will be here.
Not so much that you would notice.
Old 05-03-09, 09:53 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Nice going. Riding one's age is an important milestone. There's no limit now.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-04-09, 08:25 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I really like the concept of riding one's age on or about their birthday. I've done it a couple of times and it always gave me a feeling of accomplishment. I also have the adavantage of having a sept. bithday, giving me a little extra time to train. Congrats on the ride and just think-next year we can ride a little farther.