Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

SRCC Wine Country Century (in the rain)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-03-09, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking out the window early Saturday morning was not a promising sight. It was overcast and drizzly here north of San Francisco. But I had invested 3 months ago in registration for the "Wine Country Century" sponsored by Santa Rosa Cycling Club, and wanted that t-shirt! I arrived to find a full parking lot, signed in, and got my route map. Thankfully, I chose the 35-mile fun ride. Set off on my 2+ hour tour and the rain began to fall. Finished in just over two hours soaked to the bone with a satisfied smile on my face. Unfortunately my map did not hold up in the rain and I got off course twice. Glad I didn't sign up for the century as several riders ended up bailing out early due to the less-than-optimal conditions.

After crossing the finish, I wiped down the bike and stored it in the car. Walked over to the BBQ and chowed down on a tasty meal. Despite the weather, this was a great event -- well organized and well supported. Good job, SRCC!

Last edited by Old School; 05-03-09 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 09:55 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've read several ride reports in the Nor Cal forum and this was an unpleasant, at the very least, century. Props to you for finishing what you did. We didn't even go out in it. Just call us wussies.
Old 05-03-09, 10:15 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Let me just post this photo of my sweet wife at the Wine Country Century. As kb5ql over on NorCal commented: "It rained. And rained. And KEPT RAINING. It didn't stop. It rained some more. Did I mention it RAINED?"

Also in the NorCal thread on teh ride: Extended discussion on road gunk cleaning. What a mess!
Old 05-04-09, 08:23 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
The first century of my 6th decade - (turned 50 last week) rode 2x my age, pie for everybody!

Last edited by DiabloScott; 05-04-09 at 11:39 AM.