Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Younger People Are Great

Old 05-04-09, 03:35 PM
  #1  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Younger People Are Great

This past weekend, I went to the gym. While I was waiting for my wife, I was talking with the receptionist. She is a delightful young woman who is going to college. She informed me that she is buying a bicycle to commute to school but was a little concerned about the hills. I said, "hills are tough for me too and getting the right gearing was important". She said, "you think hills are tough and you are almost a pro".

Discuss.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 03:44 PM
  #2  
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 6,189

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what's to discuss? She's right, and you're right. Hills are tough, getting the right gearing is important and you are almost a pro!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 03:48 PM
  #3  
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...
 
alicestrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,769

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advise her that all the cool kids ride fixies...
__________________
May you live long, live strong, and live happy!
alicestrong is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 04:15 PM
  #4  
cyclehen
too old for bike shorts?
 
cyclehen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 178

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They put speed bumps on my long uphill home. Ugh!
cyclehen is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 04:26 PM
  #5  
Timtruro
Senior Member
 
Timtruro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Truro, MA
Posts: 1,613

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HMMM, good thing your wife hadn't returned by then, but I bet you were like a college boy that nite??
Timtruro is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 05:09 PM
  #6  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 12,032
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As far as she knows, you could be a pro.
People ask me if I am entering the Tour of California every year. I tell them I will if they start a 50+ fat guy team.
big john is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 06:01 PM
  #7  
dcvelo
Pretend Racer
 
dcvelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Neck
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
As far as she knows, you could be a pro.
People ask me if I am entering the Tour of California every year. I tell them I will if they start a 50+ fat guy team.
Funny...that reminds me of being at the Tour de Georgia three years ago...we'd driven down and brought our bikes with us. Bringing them into the hotel, the doormen looked at them and asked if we were there to do the race.

I'm still trying to imagine myself racing up Brasstown Bald.
dcvelo is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 06:04 PM
  #8  
t4mv
ES&D
 
t4mv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roadieville, USA
Posts: 1,375

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
HMMM, good thing your wife hadn't returned by then, but I bet you were like a college boy that nite??
Velodiva, was Hermes like, rowwwwrrrrr a few nights ago? What's that you say? Every night?!

I'm sure that was a well earned compliment, Hermes; I was half expecting you to say her "hills" consisted of riding out of underpasses and overpasses, lol.
t4mv is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 06:40 PM
  #9  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
So what's to discuss? She's right, and you're right. Hills are tough, getting the right gearing is important and you are almost a pro!

Rick / OCRR
Great observation. I think what she did not say is the most interesting. Considering the 4 decade generation gap, she could have gone with the tried and true and complimented me on being spry.

Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
Advise her that all the cool kids ride fixies...
A lot of college students ride fixies and she may ultimately get one but I suspect the geared route will be the way she goes. This young women has definite plans.

Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
HMMM, good thing your wife hadn't returned by then, but I bet you were like a college boy that nite??
I told my wife immediately and she agreed. Rick@ocrr has it right. However the operational word is "almost".

Originally Posted by big john View Post
As far as she knows, you could be a pro.
People ask me if I am entering the Tour of California every year. I tell them I will if they start a 50+ fat guy team.
But would you really if they had a fat guy team? I would train and race in the Tour of Ca in a New York minute if it were possible.

Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
Velodiva, was Hermes like, rowwwwrrrrr a few nights ago? What's that you say? Every night?!

I'm sure that was a well earned compliment, Hermes; I was half expecting you to say her "hills" consisted of riding out of underpasses and overpasses, lol.
Nah...I get this type of stuff all the time. I go to the gym every night. So I know most of the staff pretty well and they know what my goals are.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 08:51 PM
  #10  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 12,032
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post



But would you really if they had a fat guy team? I would train and race in the Tour of Ca in a New York minute if it were possible.

Sure I would! I do pretty well against other over 50 Clydes! It's those skinny people that ruin the ride!
big john is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 09:39 PM
  #11  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Sure I would! I do pretty well against other over 50 Clydes! It's those skinny people that ruin the ride!
The ideal place for you is the velodrome. It is flat and there are lot of really big men. I would not say that they are fat but they are definitely beefy.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 09:57 PM
  #12  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
The ideal place for you is the velodrome. It is flat and there are lot of really big men. I would not say that they are fat but they are definitely beefy.
Event there on May 30.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 05-04-09, 10:05 PM
  #13  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
Event there on May 30.
To which velodrome are you referring?
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 05:20 AM
  #14  
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I think most people are great. Glad you had an uplifting interaction with the young lady.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 08:02 AM
  #15  
Glades2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, they look young, that's for sure - I have a crush on the courtesy counter girl at the local supermarket (my buttercup, for sure), but she must be about 24 at the most, so, it'll have to remain just a passing romance...

Still, I can't recall feeling different at 24 - I did look younger, but that's about it...

LOL

Last edited by Glades2; 05-05-09 at 08:05 AM.
Glades2 is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 08:07 AM
  #16  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 12,032
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
The ideal place for you is the velodrome. It is flat and there are lot of really big men. I would not say that they are fat but they are definitely beefy.
I live close to the Encino velodrome and have gone there as a spectator many times. I've yet to go to the indoor track in Carson, but if I do, it will also be to watch. I'll stick to the road and chase those skinny people for now.
big john is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 09:37 AM
  #17  
FL_MarkD
Senior Member
 
FL_MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Holiday, FL
Posts: 301

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the young cyclists, who better to wheelsuck on the long weekend group rides? Somebody has to do the long pulls!

Honestly a few years ago when I got back into riding I would never have expected that I would consider a 50 mile ride just a normal ride. It seemed like only the 'hardcore' riders would be able to do those distances. So for someone like Hermes who obviously is a much more dedicated and fit cyclist I can see how a new rider (old or young) would see you (and VeloDiva) as 'almost pro'.

Ride safe and try to smile, Mark
FL_MarkD is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 09:49 AM
  #18  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
To which velodrome are you referring?
Hellyer Park. Is there another one in the Bay Area? I'll be going there for my first time, but only as a spectator. The Cycle Genius Sparrow isn't exactly competition for "Fast Freddy" Markham.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 10:46 AM
  #19  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
Hellyer Park. Is there another one in the Bay Area? I'll be going there for my first time, but only as a spectator. The Cycle Genius Sparrow isn't exactly competition for "Fast Freddy" Markham.
Yes but Big John lives in LA. Encino and ADT would be choices for him. To which event at Hellyer on May 30th were you referring?
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 11:05 AM
  #20  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_MarkD View Post
I love the young cyclists, who better to wheelsuck on the long weekend group rides? Somebody has to do the long pulls!

Honestly a few years ago when I got back into riding I would never have expected that I would consider a 50 mile ride just a normal ride. It seemed like only the 'hardcore' riders would be able to do those distances. So for someone like Hermes who obviously is a much more dedicated and fit cyclist I can see how a new rider (old or young) would see you (and VeloDiva) as 'almost pro'.

Ride safe and try to smile, Mark
This is exactly the point. Perception and point of reference is key. She is just starting out and I am experienced. She is clueless about ranking of cyclists so she picked a term that I would find flattering - smart young lady. She is one of the best ones at the desk - very conscientious.

Amen to letting the strong guys do the work. If someone wants to go to the front and pull the train great.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 11:59 AM
  #21  
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Posts: 19,914

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
This is exactly the point. Perception and point of reference is key. She is just starting out and I am experienced. She is clueless about ranking of cyclists so she picked a term that I would find flattering - smart young lady. She is one of the best ones at the desk - very conscientious.

Amen to letting the strong guys do the work. If someone wants to go to the front and pull the train great.
Time to take her out for a ride to give her a few pointers.

Attachment says it all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thong.jpg (56.1 KB, 15 views)
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 12:27 PM
  #22  
The Weak Link
Banned.
 
The Weak Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Post-partisan Paradise
Posts: 4,938

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to impress the young babes tell 'em you watch Nitro Circus religiously and think it's wicked sick.
The Weak Link is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 12:40 PM
  #23  
Hermes 
Version 3.0
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 11,099

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
If you want to impress the young babes tell 'em you watch Nitro Circus religiously and think it's wicked sick.
Thanks for the lead. I will add it to my MTV DVR setting.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-05-09, 02:41 PM
  #24  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Yes but Big John lives in LA. Encino and ADT would be choices for him. To which event at Hellyer on May 30th were you referring?
It's an HPV event. Last year they had some of the rides that race at Battle Mountain, Nv for the speed record. Freddy Markham and his daughter were there, but the track limits their speed.
Dchiefransom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.