Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tire recommendations

Old 05-04-09, 04:59 PM
tom cotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tire recommendations

Time to reshoe the Lemond Zurich. Currently the the bike has the 23cm Bontrager's it came with. One of the tires bubbled on a recent ride and it's time to ante up for a new set.

The bike doesn't race. It's used recreationally and for LD rides of 75 miles or more.

What tires do you recommend and why?

THX
Old 05-04-09, 05:25 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 9995 Post(s)
More air volumn as with 25mm tires or even 28's if the frame will accept them should provide a slightly more cush ride with minimal performance drop. As with all things bike, this may prove to be a very subjective change.
Old 05-04-09, 05:37 PM
tom cotter

THX maddmaxx, i'm probably going to stick with 23's for this bike. I have a touring bike and a mountain bike to cover some of the other bases. As I said i'm not racing. however, i do like the lightweight aspect of the 23cm tires. I want something with durability and ,of course, flat resistance.

When I need tires for the touring bike I know exactly what to buy and where to buy them. But, it's been a long long time since i've bought 23cm tires. i don't what 23 cm tires are good and why.
Old 05-04-09, 05:39 PM
tom cotter

make that "I don't know what 23cm tires are good and why"
Old 05-04-09, 05:53 PM
The Smokester

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use Continental 4Season 700x28c on my long distance bike. Good comfort, durability and wheel protection. Don't know if they will fit on your bike, though. If not, why not try Continental GP4000 in 700x25c.
Old 05-04-09, 05:54 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

No encyclopedic knowledge here, but I've been running Vredesteins on both my road bikes for a couple of years now. Fortezzas on one, Fortezza Tricomps on the other. Handling is good and they've held up very well.
Old 05-04-09, 06:12 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Fortezza TriComps are good, as are the Conti 4000(with or without "S"). I've found them to be light, responsive tires and as long as the tread section isn't flat (worn out), puncture resistance is also pretty good. Gatorskins are pretty good, too, but I'm not sure how narrow they go.
Old 05-04-09, 06:15 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Conti GP4000 or GP4000S. Have been using them for 2 yrs now on both my road bikes, and only complaint is that they're a bit hard to mount. 10 min. in the dryer solved that problem. They ride great, handle wet & dry extremely well, and no flatting issues. 2000+ mi. on a set, changed one out just for my own peace of mind prior to an event ride I was doing, but kept them as an "emergency" backup in case I couldn't find some locally if I had a problem with the mounted tires. I buy them from Pro Bike Kit over in Stapfam land, as the price seems to currently be better the domestically.
Old 05-04-09, 06:16 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
Fortezza TriComps are good, as are the Conti 4000(with or without "S"). I've found them to be light, responsive tires and as long as the tread section isn't flat (worn out), puncture resistance is also pretty good. Gatorskins are pretty good, too, but I'm not sure how narrow they go.
My wife got really good wear out of her GP 3000's. She doesn't push the handling as far as I will, so don't know about that (but a lot of riders swear by them).
Old 05-04-09, 06:32 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

dcv, yeah, I like to milk the downhills for all they're worth (the more technical the better), so I'm keen on tires that handle on the edge, which the Vredesteins and Contis are able to do (at least the models I've tried). Either tire will go into a corner as deep as I dare (I've crashed clipping an inside pedal so that's far enough in my book), and they also respond well to countersteering, so I'm inclined to say that they instill a lot of confidence for me in that particular kind of riding. In the hands of better bike handlers, I'm sure these tires would absolutely smoke a downhill. I've only ever gotten a couple of flats (on the Vredesteins) but I think it's because I ran them out too long, which was why I made that earlier comment about flat tread. I know the Vreds will run up to 145 psi or so, but I just usually run them at 105-110 or so, and they've straddled that line between comfort and performance.
Old 05-05-09, 02:46 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
Conti GP4000 or GP4000S. Have been using them for 2 yrs now on both my road bikes, and only complaint is that they're a bit hard to mount. 10 min. in the dryer solved that problem. They ride great, handle wet & dry extremely well, and no flatting issues. 2000+ mi. on a set, changed one out just for my own peace of mind prior to an event ride I was doing, but kept them as an "emergency" backup in case I couldn't find some locally if I had a problem with the mounted tires. I buy them from Pro Bike Kit over in Stapfam land, as the price seems to currently be better the domestically.

Link to PBK is

http://www.probikekit.com/display.ph...%20%26%20Tubes

There are plenty of tyres out there- but I would always use folding tyres for a lighter weight and the popular two seem to be conti- 4000/4000S--- Or Michelin Pro Race 3's. I use Pro Race 2's and am happy with grip- tyre life and puncture resistance.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-05-09, 02:53 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

I rock a Lemond Buenos Aires and roll Conti UltraGators 25mm. To be honest, I'm not sure I can tell a big difference between them and the stock Bontragers, except I had one flat with the Bontragers and none with the Gators. The Contis come in 23mm and I'm sure they'd be very dependable.
Old 05-05-09, 04:40 PM
keesue
Cycling afficianado

Bikes: 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2003 F600 Cannondale, 2003 Specialized Enduro, 2008 Torelli SS/FG

I have an '02 Zurich and I have used Michelin Pro Race 23s since I bought it new. I've had very few flats, get good performance and @ 2500 miles on the tires (with one rotation). I have not tried the new formulation yet. My alternative would be the Conti 4000 - chilli version.
Old 05-05-09, 05:48 PM
luv2cruz

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
+1....great tires!
Old 05-05-09, 05:57 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

My bike came with Pro Race 2's and I replaced them with Pro Race 3's. I was very happy with the Pro Race 3's and put a over 2,000 miles on them. The set I now have are the Continental 4000s and as soon as I put them on I thought they gave a smoother ride than the Pro Race 3's. I could not tell any difference in the speed, but I am not that fast. The Continentals have wear indicators which is a great idea. I have over 2500 miles on them and have quit a bit left. I have had less flats with the Contis than with the Michelins. The only issue with the Contis is that my front tire has had a couple of threads come off of the sidewall all the way around. My front one also has a small cut in the sidewall and I have been running it at 100 psi. I think I will order another set of the contis soon. As stated above Pro Bike Kit is the place to get them.
Old 05-05-09, 06:16 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
23 cm tires??? . . . Think you meant 23 mm?!
Durability/flat resistance.
Been using Maxxis Re-Fuse tires on our tandem (gets more/harder wear than on a single) after 2,950 miles. Choice of 23 or 25 mm widths.
Very flat resistant, even out here in cactus thorn country.
Old 05-05-09, 08:15 PM
Velo Fellow

+1 on the Conti 4000's. I use 25's at 90 and 95 psi for my 165 weight. Many of the roads I ride are chip&seal or sometimes graveled in the corners. Good flat resistance and durability...and they have a sweet, lively resilience, I call it "boing", to them.

It's often a matter of personal perception and experience with tires.
Old 05-05-09, 08:40 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Originally Posted by tom cotter View Post
Time to reshoe the Lemond Zurich. Currently the the bike has the 23cm Bontrager's it came with. One of the tires bubbled on a recent ride and it's time to ante up for a new set.

The bike doesn't race. It's used recreationally and for LD rides of 75 miles or more.

What tires do you recommend and why?

THX
Like many here I simply got tired of worrying about flats. SO I decided on a set of Armadillo tires from Specialized. They have been trouble free from day one and I used them on my first century ride last February. One of the reasons is the reputation they have from Long distance riders.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=38571
Old 05-05-09, 10:13 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I'm really liking the Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 23's that I'm running now. Smooth ride at 100 psi (I weigh 160). No cuts or flats so far. I tend to ride light and steer around road obstacles when I can. These are good 120 tpi tires with a good road feel and they don't cost an arm and a leg. People on this forum seem to spend a lot more on tires than I do, fwiw.
Old 05-05-09, 10:22 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

+5 (or whatever) on the Conti Grand Prix 4000 or 4000s. I'm going to switch to 25mm from the 23s next time.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-05-09, 10:24 PM
roadiespinner

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
Like many here I simply got tired of worrying about flats. SO I decided on a set of Armadillo tires from Specialized. They have been trouble free from day one and I used them on my first century ride last February. One of the reasons is the reputation they have from Long distance riders.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=38571
+1 on the Armadillos. NO flats. I like the Elite 25/23s with the 25 casing and the 23 tread. Little softer ride than just 23s, but only 23 tread rolling resistants.
Old 05-05-09, 10:33 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Originally Posted by roadiespinner View Post
+1 on the Armadillos. NO flats. I like the Elite 25/23s with the 25 casing and the 23 tread. Little softer ride than just 23s, but only 23 tread rolling resistants.
Same ones I like. I understand they even have a warantee? I have also been told that Gator Skins are pretty good tires.
Old 05-05-09, 10:34 PM
oldster

Pasela Tourguards 28's 105psi. nice tires.

Bud
Old 05-05-09, 10:40 PM
Velo Fellow

I also ride Oldster's Pasela TG's (28) on my go anywhere sport tourer. A sensible, inexpensive, flat resistant, blah blah tire which rides relatively "light".....and, with gumwalls, has a touch of class.

I weigh 165 and ride mine at 85 and 90psi.,,,,they are, after all, 28's.
Old 05-05-09, 11:25 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Continental Ultra 2000's or the tire that repalced it, Light, durable, great in wet weather, and will not break the bank. We run the 23mm on our road bikes and have been really happy with them. We run the Conti Ultra gatorskins (28) on our touring bikes. Pretty much sold on Continentals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service