Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Controls for the mature/experienced.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-04-09, 07:10 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10131 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Ok, you've all been around for a while......a good long while. During the time that you have been involved with bicycles, the control systems have changed and changed again. I remember 3 speed shift levers for an internal hub, full friction stem shifters, MTB triggers and twist shifters, bar cons and modern STI's. Which systems did you like? If you could change them, what would you add?

I like high quality SRAM twist grip shifters. I use them with fat grips so my hand doesn't really notice the difference between stationary grip and shifter grip. I mount them along with 2 finger brake levers so that my hands are, but for one finger, outboard of the shift grip. I find them light, positive and precise and most importantly, I can shift multiple gears with each hand simultaneously whenever I want.

In the world of combined shift/brake levers, I learned something from the Shimano Dual control MTB system. Shifts in one direction were acomplished by pushing the lever down, the other way by flipping the lever up with the backs of the fingers. I would like to see someone produce a set of STI's that operated this way.......lever in, shift one way.....lever out, shift the other.

Just my oddball choices, how bout you.
Old 05-04-09, 07:48 PM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Phew...when I read the title, I was afraid it may be a Depends thread.

I like D/A and look forward to the electronic shifting price coming down.
Old 05-04-09, 08:45 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I detest RapidFire and most other indexed front derailleur controls, because I like to be able to fine-tune the cage position and the rate at which I move the cage.

For a mountain bike, I like linear action SunTour or Shimano thumb shifters, which I keep in friction mode. On a twitchy road bike, I really like friction barcons. I still appreciate the rapid response of a good set of friction downtube shift levers, but I admit that I sometimes end up spinning too low a gear when I fail to shift up before I get going too fast.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-04-09, 08:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have bar-ends, down tube shifters, and 9 and 10 speed STI on my 4 road bikes. It's hard to imagine anything easier than STI shifters, except maybe electronic. I can shift the rear from the hood with my pinky.
I have SRAM push-push on the mtb. The shifting is perfect but I sometimes make accidental shifts by bumping the lever.
Old 05-04-09, 09:33 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My sentimental favorite shifters for 8 speed or less rear gears on a road bike is Suntour ratcheting friction bar end. For 9 or 10 speed on a road bike I'll somewhat reluctantly go for any of the brifters with a slight preference for SRAM based on the little bit of experience I have with any of them.

For upright bars and 8 speeds or less I like the old bar top thumb shifter, either Suntour or Shimano with an edge to Shimano for rear indexing compatibility if the bike is used for aggressive offroad riding. For true mountain bike use I'm fine with either Shimano Rapidfire or SRAM push-push. I have not used SRAM Twist Grip, but I am sure I would be fine with that too.
Old 05-04-09, 10:03 PM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Sora shifters on my Trek. A flick of either the finger or thumb does tha job.
Sram twist shifters on my LWB recumbents.
Old 05-04-09, 10:24 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have STI shifters, two bikes with downtube friction shifters, and my MTB/commuter has SIS indexed thumb shifters.

STI - best/easiest shifting ever.

I love bar ends, am going to convert one of my bikes to bar ends.

Like downtube shifters as a "retro" change of pace.

Hate the thumb shifters. Hate, hate, hate.

Would love to have a Rohloff hub on a commuter if there were a better shifter solution that fit drop bars.
Old 05-04-09, 10:45 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my LWB recumbents, I love my SRAM X.9 grip shifters. Very little movement needed to shift, and shifting is immediate and sure. I've got Shimano 105-level thumb shifters on my flat-bar bike and they work quite well, but require more attention and effort than my grip shifters.

I still have two bikes with friction shifters (one thumb and one downtube) and have owned others. I've always liked those for the front crank, but have mis-shifted many times on the rear. But I never put the mileage on them that many in this forum have.

I recently used indexed barends on a recumbent trike with under seat steering. I thought they worked very well in that application, as did the Schlumpf drive front crank, which shifted when you tapped it with your foot.

As to other mature controls, after my wife went through "The Change" we didn't have to use them anymore.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-04-09, 10:49 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still prefer the feel, the efficiency, and the look of downtube friction shifters, although my new LHT has bar end shifters that I like almost as well.

The Lemond uses Shimano 105 brifters that work perfectly. My primary complaint with this design is the amount of lever travel required to complete a shift.
Old 05-04-09, 11:28 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Phew...when I read the title, I was afraid it may be a Depends thread.
I like D/A and look forward to the electronic shifting price coming down.
I'm sticking with my Shimano barcons until I die. Got them on all my road bikes, in friction mode on all but one. I've been using them for 20+ years and see no reason to change.
I have to say the allure of electronic shifting completely escapes me. I can't imagine that it would be good enough compared to current systems to justify the price, and I'm not sure i'd want it even if it were free. Do we need to take ALL the skill out of cycling?
Old 05-05-09, 05:15 AM
NOS88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the years I've tended to gravitate toward Ultegra and Dura Ace. I like the firm crispness of the shifts. Currently, my road bikes have Ultegra 9, Ultegra SL 10, and Dura Ace 10. It would all be 10 speed but the 9 speed stuff just doesn't want to wear out. I've had no problems trimming the front dérailleur once the limit adjustment screws are adjusted correctly (It probably took me two years to learn to do that). An improvement I'd like to see is the limit adjustment screws on the rear dérailleur a bit beefier (they seem to be very soft metal). I'd also like to see a DA brifter that could be re-built by the consumer if damaged in an accident. Truth be told, almost all the components I've ever ridden have worked remarkably well, including the friction, long cage Huret Eco-Duopar rear dérailleur I used to use on my touring bike with bar con shifters. Some of the older stuff, like the Suntour Alpha down tube shifters were aesthetically very, very pleasing.
Old 05-05-09, 05:17 AM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i prefer friction shifting over indexed, but then i'm 50+

:-)
Old 05-05-09, 05:39 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What? No wag has mentioned fixies that need no controls?

Friction shifters forever. I don't need no stinking indexing.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-05-09, 06:01 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I really like the grip shifters on my late 80s Specialized Hardrock. With that system, one can move the front or rear derailleurs very rapidly without individual clicks.

I've had friction shifters on older road bikes, and I believe the modern "brifters" are much better.
Old 05-05-09, 06:46 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my Campy record brifters. They fit nicely to my hands. I can jump over several gears at a time if I wish. Thumb lever brings the gears back in the other direction. I can fine tune the front derailleur. The shifts are precise, smooth, quick and quiet.
Old 05-05-09, 02:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Sora- 105 and Ultegra brifters on my bikes and they all work. No preference- but the Sora's have a thumb button for shifting one way. Not a problem till I change to another bike and my thumb movement doesn't change anything.

And what do I need shifters for on most of my rides- They all seem to be going uphill so for 50% of the ride- I don't have to change anything.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-05-09, 07:19 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the years I have had bikes that had a hub gearset, Shimano MTB Deore, Shimano 105 and Campagnolo Centaur/Chorus setups. I'm not planning to move away from Campagnolo shifters for a LOOOONNNG time. I visualize which way I want the chain to move and that determines whether I use the thumb or the index and middle fingers. And people will say "so does the Sora". OK, but how far down the food chain is the Sora?