Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cross Training

Old 05-05-09, 08:29 AM
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross Training

Anyone walk, or run, to help with your riding stamina?
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 05-05-09, 08:43 AM
FitForever

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale Road Bike with many upgrades. Weights 19lbs.

I cycle 2 times a week for a total of 100 miles. On the days I am not cycling (5 days a week) I am running on a treadmill (10 miles per week), swimming in a 25 meter pool (1 mile per week) and completing 1000 push ups and 100 pull ups per week. Cross training has helped my cycling a lot. I am riding with faster groups now and my averages are higher. When I was just cycling I had many more injuries and many bad riding days (got dropped a lot).
Old 05-05-09, 09:27 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

This subject was discussed a few times but some of us learn the hard way only. I love biking. During the winter I biked on most days 70 miles and some days 100. We were on a bike path and other forms of exercise seemed not attractive.
We experienced bad weather as we returned to Illinois in April. So we went hiking in the local State Park. Hiking means 12 miles at 4 MPH. Everything hurt. The feet, ankles all leg joints. It took a month to get into decent hiking condition.
The moral of this story?
One needs balanced exercise to have a general healthy condition.
Oh, I do upper body exercise.
Old 05-05-09, 09:39 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Forgot to mention above.
Biking daily 70 to 100 miles did improve my biking a lot. It is more CV, nutrition and skill I think then anything else. I am 67 years old and can go up to HR155 (55 at rest). I have seen my average speed increased by using Aero Bars for as long as 70 miles. This I could not do a few years ago.
A 20 year younger friend of mine uses an intense workout of rowing machines, weights, jogging and swimming. He can out sprint me anytime but he can not keep up with me for 100 miles.
I believe that to be good for long distance fast biking one must bike a lot. Adding too much upper body or non specific (for a bike) weight is not helpful.