Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rode my Age Today, as an obligation, great idea. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/540243-rode-my-age-today-obligation-great-idea.html)

Donegal 05-10-09 08:10 PM

Rode my Age Today, as an obligation, great idea.

I used the excuse today that I had to ride my age to get my wife to work for me in the subdivision. I am a homebuilder who acts as my own agent on the weekends and I told my wife that I was required to do the ride within one week of my birthday. She bought it.:)

I took of easy to limit my heart rate slippage over time and went to the local coffee shop/bike shop to get a CO2 inflator. My other one is in the tool kit under the seat on my mountain bike which is in the shop. I got to the coffee shop and there was a sign on the door, "Gone Riding".

I braved traffic on a 6-lane road, rode through the area around the regional mall and got to the REI. I picked up the inflator and chose another direction.

Today was predicted for rain, but I checked and it was definitely held up in the next state. Got in a good 56 miles and look forward for the next one.

Whoever thought up the ride your age idea was a genius. Right behind the instigator of riding for pie.

When life gives you lemons, get out and ride.......................:love:

Floyd 05-10-09 08:41 PM

Good job on the ride...not so sure about 'foolin' the wife...she may figure you out one of these days. :)

doctor j 05-10-09 08:53 PM

Happy birthday, and congrats on the birthday ride. Yes, it's a good idea. The only way to get the braggin' rights is to do the mileage, and doing the mileage is good for physical and emotional well being.

oilman_15106 05-10-09 09:50 PM

Happy birthday. Did mine today as my bd is tomorrow and both rain and work get in the way of making my mileage.

Allegheny Jet 05-11-09 05:12 AM

Hope your sweetie sold a house or lot while you were out playing, then to celebrate both occasions you would get some new bike swag.:D I inadvertently rode my age yesterday . I was scheduled to do a three hour training ride but got back home early at 2:50 and covered 57.8 miles.

Jet Travis 05-11-09 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 8893237)
Good job on the ride...not so sure about 'foolin' the wife...she may figure you out one of these days. :)

My wife just plays along--she needs a day off, too, now and then.

jimmyr 05-11-09 09:41 AM

Congratulations! Was all set to do my BD ride Saturday, but the incessant rain here in NE Ala-bammy got in the way. It has been a slog-fest here for the last several weeks. Oh well...maybe next Saturday!

The Weak Link 05-11-09 09:47 AM

Slightly OT: does anyone's wife still fall for the "I would have gotten here sooner but I had a mechanical" line?

stapfam 05-11-09 10:19 AM

Some people have it easy- Birthdays in May- instead of Mid-Winter-Relatively young compared to some of us so easy milage to knock off in a couple of hours-A Believing wife that accepts any old excuse for a ride-(That is still to be proven by the way) And promised rain that does not arrive.

But as you get older you will learn- PIE is at the top of the list

sknhgy 05-11-09 12:43 PM

Did my age on my new Sequoia which I bought last March. 54+ miles was no big deal.